Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Lucid Air Dream Edition Rated at 520 Miles of Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The Environmental Protection Agency has given the upcoming Lucid Air Dream Edition a preliminary range rating of 520 miles, the first electric vehicle to cross the 500-mile mark.

Performance has been a big promise of the Lucid vehicles as it aims to be a meaningful challenger to Tesla’s flagship vehicles. Lucid’s range rating is 100 miles more than the Tesla Model S Long Range.

“I’m delighted that our Lucid Air Dream Edition Range has been officially accredited with a range of 520 miles by the EPA, a number I believe to be a new record for any EV. Crucially, this landmark has been achieved by Lucid’s world-leading in-house EV technology, not by simply installing an oversize battery pack,” CEO and CTO Peter Rawlinson said in a release. “Our race-proven 900V battery and BMS technology, our miniaturized drive units, coupled with our Wunderbox technology endow Lucid Air with ultra-high efficiency, enabling it to travel more miles from less battery energy. The next generation EV has truly arrived!”

The company noted in a release that multiple Lucid Air models have received their official EPA range ratings, including the Dream Edition Performance and Grand Touring versions on both 19” and 21” wheels. That positions Lucid Air models in the top six spots for overall EPA range ratings among all EVs as well as the highest MPGe ratings in the Large vehicle class.

The first Lucid vehicles are expected to be delivered by the end of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
I may have missed it , but how big is the battery and what is the mpge?
118kwh I think.

So not REALLY a breakthrough. Tesla is 405 at 100kwh. So adding 20percent more battery would put tesla up there too, not 520 but 490ish so close enough.

But the lucid is 180k...

And we should really wait for mass deliveries which unfortunately will take awhile. But hopefully by 2023 or 2024 they can make enough cars that it's a real contender.

Lucid unfortunately still doesn't have a vast service network, haven't proved they can make cars en mass, tech, charging. Too many unkniwns/deficiencies. So unfortunately not a real competitor to tesla. But maybe in a few years.

So not REALLY a breakthrough. Tesla is 405 at 100kwh. So adding 20percent more battery would put tesla up there too, not 520 but 490ish so close enough.

Efficiency ratings are 28kWh/100mi for the Model S Long Range (I think that's the one with the carbon sleeved rotors, but not the Plaid - but there have been so many versions of the S this year it's confusing - it's possible than in 2022 we'll get a slightly better number here).

The Lucid is as good as 26kWh/100mi, combined, for the Lucid Air Grand Touring AWD 19" (which has 516 miles range, oddly), while the Lucid Air Dream AWD 19" is at 27kWh/100mi with 520 miles range.

These are impressive efficiency numbers. Note that they account for the scalar. The 0.75 that Lucid uses is pretty high, but Tesla uses 0.757 for that Model S Long Range. Which makes the Lucid even better, by 1% or so (since a higher scalar brings down (makes look better) the kWh/100mi number, relative to "true" efficiency).

520 miles.

This for people who generally drive, on average, 35 miles a day. Lets say you do the LA to Frisco run and need to drive 520 miles twice a year. I bet you stop for a bathroom break and some food at Harris Ranch. And then, this puts you in a tiny percentage of people who can't stop for more than 30 minutes. 520 miles at 80 mph most likely would cut your range to 450 or so, but then, that's still 6 1/2 hours of driving. My butt would need a rest. I don't need to drive 520 miles at a time, ever. If I need to get somewhere a half an hour earlier, I leave a half an hour earlier.

Even gas cars only do 300 - 400 miles on a tank. And the driver still gets out and buys a coffee and a cupcake and hits the bathroom. This whole 520 mile range seems silly. I have 400 miles of range, and I never use it. So who will? Maybe a few die hard salesmen, but likely not.

It's just for bragging rights, and I wouldn't drive an Air for that reason.

Reactions: Cuttin and WhiteWi
All in good fun, but I've enjoyed the mixed messages on this board over the years.
"Range is king" versus "520 mile range seems silly".
"It doesn't matter it's not really 90 kWh, it's the range" versus "how big is the battery and what is the mpge".
"Tesla roadster at $160,000 (in 2021 dollars) is step one in the master plan to 'build sports car; use money to build an affordable car'" versus "$90k+ is a bit steep for the entry model".

I'm glad Lucid is here to mix things up. Ironically, once the S3XY line was complete, things seemed to get less sexy. The farts just didn't do it for me.

Most likely this car will get about 400 miles at freeway speeds on a 100% charge. That's pretty good though!

Remember the large battery combined with the very excellent efficiency means very fast "per-mile" charging rates. This thing should be able to do 350kW charging and add miles so quickly that the relatively widely spaced charging stops will be great...at least they would be great if there were a decent electric charging infrastructure for them.

Sadly it's still pretty hit and miss. The sooner they can sort that out to have high uptime, numerous 350kW chargers, with instant plug-in-and-charge features (no cards to tap, etc.), the better.

Seems like 80mph 250-mile legs @ ~300Wh/mi (75kWh, ~65% of the pack) with 20-minute charging stops (75kWh/350kW = 13 minutes, adding 7 minutes for taper effects and initial ramping effects) will be quite possible.

That's pretty great - drive for 3 hours 15 minutes, stop for 20 minutes, repeat. 70mph overall average speed.

$180k is a little steep though, even with 3 years of free charging (lol). I assume that's the high-end "P-trim" model with the lower range? (Never mind, looks like both Performance and Range trim are $169k, oh well, such is life.). I'll stick with my plebeian Model 3.

Last edited:
Eventually, pretty much every company that survives will have 300-400-500 mile cars. Lucid seems to be an interesting exercise in efficiency, but it is way too expensive. I'd stretch my budget to get the fastest sedan in the world rather than the longest running. Can you imagine showing your neighbor how far your car can go? Hopefully, Lucid has a car closer to the mass market in its plans.

Reactions: Potpourri
Range is important thats for sure, but only to a point where humans actually can travel between stops.
There is talk of a 1000 mile EV, do we really need an EV that only needs charging 12 times a year or whatever?
I love to go on road trips in the Western US and Canada. And right now the charging network is not yet that great.

My car is down to 295 miles, and this is just not good enough for at _some_ trips. You're limited to about 130 miles for there-and-back drives. This isn't actually a lot.

And a couple of times I had to take a leap of faith and drive past the point of no return, hoping to make to the next charging spot. I could have gotten stuck if the road for some reason was blocked (I have a satellite communicator, food and water in my car, so it was not _dangerous_).

I love to go on road trips in the Western US and Canada. And right now the charging network is not yet that great.

My car is down to 295 miles, and this is just not good enough for at _some_ trips. You're limited to about 130 miles for there-and-back drives. This isn't actually a lot.

And a couple of times I had to take a leap of faith and drive past the point of no return, hoping to make to the next charging spot. I could have gotten stuck if the road for some reason was blocked (I have a satellite communicator, food and water in my car, so it was not _dangerous_).
I am pretty skeptical that people living in far north in extreme temps will buy lucid. But hey I might be wrong.

I doubt Tesla cares. We have been complaining about lack of Customer Service since m3 came out. Elon Musk never tried to fix that mess. So doubt he will care until sales are taken from his toy chest. Unfortunately, that will not be for years.
I’ve been complaining about lack of customer service since the Model S was announced for pre-order. Nothing has changed since.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
520 miles.

This for people who generally drive, on average, 35 miles a day. Lets say you do the LA to Frisco run and need to drive 520 miles twice a year. I bet you stop for a bathroom break and some food at Harris Ranch. And then, this puts you in a tiny percentage of people who can't stop for more than 30 minutes. 520 miles at 80 mph most likely would cut your range to 450 or so, but then, that's still 6 1/2 hours of driving. My butt would need a rest. I don't need to drive 520 miles at a time, ever. If I need to get somewhere a half an hour earlier, I leave a half an hour earlier.

Even gas cars only do 300 - 400 miles on a tank. And the driver still gets out and buys a coffee and a cupcake and hits the bathroom. This whole 520 mile range seems silly. I have 400 miles of range, and I never use it. So who will? Maybe a few die hard salesmen, but likely not.

It's just for bragging rights, and I wouldn't drive an Air for that reason.
I think 520 is the sweet spot. I’m guessing the battery chemistry will want to be charged to 85% most of the time, and people like to drive fast (less efficient). That would put the actual range at about 400 which is on par with gas cars.

but I agree about price, it needs to be way cheaper. I’m hoping this new competition will push tesla and the other automakers to do better.

118kwh I think.

But the lucid is 180k...

And we should really wait for mass deliveries which unfortunately will take awhile. But hopefully by 2023 or 2024 they can make enough cars that it's a real contender.

Lucid unfortunately still doesn't have a vast service network, haven't proved they can make cars en mass, tech, charging. Too many unkniwns/deficiencies. So unfortunately not a real competitor to tesla. But maybe in a few years.
I'll take the MS Plaid and live with less range for $125k

While the supercharger network is great, this 520 mile range would somewhat blunt that advantage. Then again, if superchargers are opened to all, there will be zero advantage.
Less intra-trip charging time remains an advantage, regardless of the reality that most will rarely use it for long trips.
And I suspect that many in the market for a lux vehicle will more appreciate the Lucid coachworks compared to the 'spartan' interiors of Tesla.