Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Lucid Air Dream Edition Rated at 520 Miles of Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The Environmental Protection Agency has given the upcoming Lucid Air Dream Edition a preliminary range rating of 520 miles, the first electric vehicle to cross the 500-mile mark.

Performance has been a big promise of the Lucid vehicles as it aims to be a meaningful challenger to Tesla’s flagship vehicles. Lucid’s range rating is 100 miles more than the Tesla Model S Long Range.

“I’m delighted that our Lucid Air Dream Edition Range has been officially accredited with a range of 520 miles by the EPA, a number I believe to be a new record for any EV. Crucially, this landmark has been achieved by Lucid’s world-leading in-house EV technology, not by simply installing an oversize battery pack,” CEO and CTO Peter Rawlinson said in a release. “Our race-proven 900V battery and BMS technology, our miniaturized drive units, coupled with our Wunderbox technology endow Lucid Air with ultra-high efficiency, enabling it to travel more miles from less battery energy. The next generation EV has truly arrived!”

The company noted in a release that multiple Lucid Air models have received their official EPA range ratings, including the Dream Edition Performance and Grand Touring versions on both 19” and 21” wheels. That positions Lucid Air models in the top six spots for overall EPA range ratings among all EVs as well as the highest MPGe ratings in the Large vehicle class.

The first Lucid vehicles are expected to be delivered by the end of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
I think Lucid will turn out a very nice EV. When they finally get around to producing them...

Let me state that I am confident that company will be turning out their EVs. They'll be high end, expensive vehicles. None the less it wouldn't hurt Tesla if they felt someone catching up to them.

Rich
Lucid's primary investors are...wait for it....Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund, China Environmental Fund, Venrock....... those money boys ain't quitting anytime soon.

Reactions: Cuttin and Ogre
It's good to see competition.

We have this in the luxury market and the Rivian and Ford in the truck market (I know CT isn't released yet), and lots of Model Y competitors. The market is finally getting some really viable competitors out there.

This doesn't just put pressure on Tesla, it puts pressure on the old auto companies to get their heads out of their collective asses. If anything, it's a bit more of the last.

Reactions: kavyboy and WhiteWi
If you want to play that game. I can buy a Mini EV for $100k less instead of Plaid. Hehehe.
I don't understand the Mini EV at this point at all. Maybe 5 years ago it would have made sense, but a ~100 mile range EV with nearly zero cargo capacity makes little sense right now.

Now if you wanted to point to the Model 3, that makes a lot more sense.

I love this. The thing that worries me is everything other than the car. No service centers, reliance on third-party chargers, etc.
It wasn't that long ago that Tesla was the same. There were Teslas on the roads before there were SCs (both Superchargers and Service Centers). Lucid will handle it with Mobile Techs (Tesla used to regularly fly techs around the country fixing Roadsters) until they grow and start building Service Centers. Yes, it's expensive to do it that way, but it's also efficient in its own way - overbuilding is an easy way to burn through your cash.

We charged our Roadsters at campgrounds and used Plugshare. We made it. Plus, w/ 520 miles of range, you can get a lot of places with just L2 on the other end.

I don't understand the Mini EV at this point at all. Maybe 5 years ago it would have made sense, but a ~100 mile range EV with nearly zero cargo capacity makes little sense right now.

Now if you wanted to point to the Model 3, that makes a lot more sense.

Everything is relative. Just because it works for you doesn't mean that is the answer for everyone. For me, it could work. Does that mean it is stupid because it does work for you? Just saying.

Reactions: JanG007
Does that mean it is stupid because it does work for you?
Didn't say it was stupid and didn't mean to imply that either. I just see it very much as a niche car.

I can totally see it working for some buyers (particularly if the incentives kick in). But it's not likely someone eyeballing the Model S is going to choose the Mini either.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I think 520 is the sweet spot. I’m guessing the battery chemistry will want to be charged to 85% most of the time, and people like to drive fast (less efficient). That would put the actual range at about 400 which is on par with gas cars.
If 520 were the sweet spot why don't gas cars have a 520 mile tank? Driving fast with gasoline cuts their range, too. And last I checked, gas cars don't get 400 miles on a fill up, but more like 300 miles, and they have to do 60 mph on cruise even then. 400 miles of range is 5 hours of driving at an average of 80 mph, and about that time I'm ready to stop for lunch, if not sooner. So I don't understand why some people think 520 is "sweet". Your gas car does not go 520 miles on a fill up.

Most people drive about 15,000 miles a year. That's about 50 miles a day, but it's actually less with large jumps in miles during vacations or trips. Gas cars have been around for decades, and most of them have a 300 mile tank, not 400, so your "par with gas cars" is a little exaggerated, so why do EVs need more?

• Love
Reactions: SO16 and WhiteWi
If 520 were the sweet spot why don't gas cars have a 520 mile tank?

Right now for EVs, range is king and efficiency is queen. Cars can get away with smaller tanks because gas stations are everywhere. I expect... (ok I hope!) Superchargers to be a lot more common in the next 5 years which will make this less relevant.

I've had 3-4 road out-and-back road trips where there are no Superchargers along the route and the range on my Model Y LR was very nearly tapped. I've also had trips where preferred routing was seriously altered due to lack of charging options.

Also, with a 500 mile range, adding 250 miles to your battery is a 12 minute stop. With a 300 mile range, adding 250 miles is a 30+ minute stop. Tapering sucks. (numbers are WAGs, don't @ me)

I road trip a bunch. So as they say, your mileage may vary (A phrase which is becoming dated fast).

Don't think anything is a "Sweet Spot", and I'm not dropping $100k+ to get 500 miles of range. But I do think range is still the most relevant metric for EVs. Also, as I hinted above, if Supercharger density increases in the boonies, this becomes far less relevant.

Eventually, pretty much every company that survives will have 300-400-500 mile cars. Lucid seems to be an interesting exercise in efficiency, but it is way too expensive. I'd stretch my budget to get the fastest sedan in the world rather than the longest running. Can you imagine showing your neighbor how far your car can go? Hopefully, Lucid has a car closer to the mass market in its plans.
The car still does 0-60 in 2.7. Or the 1,100hp version is supposed to get 470 miles of range.

Reactions: El joe
If 520 were the sweet spot why don't gas cars have a 520 mile tank? Driving fast with gasoline cuts their range, too. And last I checked, gas cars don't get 400 miles on a fill up, but more like 300 miles, and they have to do 60 mph on cruise even then. 400 miles of range is 5 hours of driving at an average of 80 mph, and about that time I'm ready to stop for lunch, if not sooner. So I don't understand why some people think 520 is "sweet". Your gas car does not go 520 miles on a fill up.

Most people drive about 15,000 miles a year. That's about 50 miles a day, but it's actually less with large jumps in miles during vacations or trips. Gas cars have been around for decades, and most of them have a 300 mile tank, not 400, so your "par with gas cars" is a little exaggerated, so why do EVs need more?
A carolla has 500+ range on the highway, a bigger camry has 600+. Pickup trucks have 6-700+ unloaded. so yeah there's plenty of vehicles to choose from.

Also keep in mind that "400 miles" doesn't actually mean 400 in real-world driving. Get into some sub-zero temperatures, put on some phat-azz wheels & tires, get a few passengers in the car + their cargo, cruise at 75+, and you'll be seeing 400 in your dreams. That kind of stuff has a disproportionate impact on EVs vs. ICE since most of the energy in a gallon of gas gets pissed away as heat.

Jeep Grand Cheroke - 738 miles
Suburban/escalade 680 miles
Youkon/Tahoe 600 miles
Expedition/Navigator 650 miles
Range Rover 635 miles
Chevy Equinox 580 miles
VW Golf 515 miles
Accord 562 miles
BMW 5 Series 576 miles
Bently Contenential GT - 480 miles
Mercedes AMG S63 with the 600hp V8 - 476 miles
Porsche 911 - 405 miles.

I couldn't find a single car that has a 300 mile tank until I googled worst car MPG to find stuff like the Bugatti Chrion and lamborghini avendtador that had less than 400 miles to a tank. 300 miles is someting that was a thing 20-30 years ago and hasn't been seen since.

As others have stated, most cars today do 400+ miles on a tank of gas. Even most cars from a decade or more ago.

The point is only small % of people want to drive none stop more than 3 hours without stopping.
I highly doubt that. As many posts as I see for “I have to stop every 2 hours to stretch” I see just as many “I stop when it’s time to fill up”

there are entire professions out there who do nothing but drive all day and it’s no bother. Those are the people driving 5,6,8 hours non-stop who will never get on a Tesla group to voice their opinion. Get on some of the RVing groups, Trucking groups, etc. they’re all trying to figure out how to maximize time on the road and as a former trucker turned office guy I know there are millions of them out there.