Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Lucid Air Dream Edition Rated at 520 Miles of Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The Environmental Protection Agency has given the upcoming Lucid Air Dream Edition a preliminary range rating of 520 miles, the first electric vehicle to cross the 500-mile mark.

Performance has been a big promise of the Lucid vehicles as it aims to be a meaningful challenger to Tesla’s flagship vehicles. Lucid’s range rating is 100 miles more than the Tesla Model S Long Range.

“I’m delighted that our Lucid Air Dream Edition Range has been officially accredited with a range of 520 miles by the EPA, a number I believe to be a new record for any EV. Crucially, this landmark has been achieved by Lucid’s world-leading in-house EV technology, not by simply installing an oversize battery pack,” CEO and CTO Peter Rawlinson said in a release. “Our race-proven 900V battery and BMS technology, our miniaturized drive units, coupled with our Wunderbox technology endow Lucid Air with ultra-high efficiency, enabling it to travel more miles from less battery energy. The next generation EV has truly arrived!”

The company noted in a release that multiple Lucid Air models have received their official EPA range ratings, including the Dream Edition Performance and Grand Touring versions on both 19” and 21” wheels. That positions Lucid Air models in the top six spots for overall EPA range ratings among all EVs as well as the highest MPGe ratings in the Large vehicle class.

The first Lucid vehicles are expected to be delivered by the end of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
This thread was an entertaining read. So much sour grapes and gymnastics trying to marginalize Lucid's accomplishment. Tons of other EV makers are currently trying to compete against Tesla and no one else has even come close to matching Tesla on efficiency, including Merc. It feels absurd to hate on Lucid for surpassing Tesla in the efficiency game. They should be commended for achieving this even if their car isn't for you.

You don't like the aesthetics, cool, don't need to buy one. You don't like the price point, cool, get something else. You don't like more range and shorter and fewer charging stops...okayyy, sure, you do you (though this one is really inexplicable). But let's not pretend that this isn't an excellent engineering effort from them AND this is good news for all EV owners, including the Tesla diehards here. If nothing else, it is going to push Tesla to up their range on newer releases, even if it requires them to increase their battery pack sizes while reducing margins slightly while they try to sort out their 4680 issues. All EV consumers are going to be winners if Lucid drives manufacturers to focus more on increasing their range.
Well said - Tesla tends to attract not just fans but diehard fanboys. It’s kind of like Apple that way (Thou shalt not speak ill of our prophets, Steve and Tim!) Unfortunately, that also tends to drive away a lot of people. Both Apple and Tesla have made significant achievements but that doesn’t mean other companies are incapable of building good products as well. As you said, the more solid choices we have, the better off we all are as consumers.

I’m not sure why the hate. I think people get caught in believing in something to the point of viewing it as supreme and infallible. When something else comes along that belief gets threatened and there’s a psychological need to denigrate the other product to preserve your belief. This seems to be the case in other areas of society these days, too. People can’t support anything (or anyone) and at the same time admit there are flaws.

Well said - Tesla tends to attract not just fans but diehard fanboys. It’s kind of like Apple that way (Thou shalt not speak ill of our prophets, Steve and Tim!) Unfortunately, that also tends to drive away a lot of people. Both Apple and Tesla have made significant achievements but that doesn’t mean other companies are incapable of building good products as well. As you said, the more solid choices we have, the better off we all are as consumers.

I’m not sure why the hate. I think people get caught in believing in something to the point of viewing it as supreme and infallible. When something else comes along that belief gets threatened and there’s a psychological need to denigrate the other product to preserve your belief. This seems to be the case in other areas of society these days, too. People can’t support anything (or anyone) and at the same time admit there are flaws.
Makes you wonder about the whole “false idols” thing…

I just saw a Lucid Air going down the road Friday night. I was driving on 84 in front of Facebook heading East.

Nice looking car. It had some display screens in the window visors. It was White and I assume was the top-end model. It had manufacturer plates. It turned off 84 after we cross the Dumbarton bridge.

Last edited:
Tesla is selling every car they can manufacture, with no "sales" or discounts, so it is great to have new companies like Lucid enter the EV space. For the good of our air quality, health, energy security, and climate, we need to replace as many ICEs as possible. Plus, competition is healthy for Tesla.

As for the range, we live high on a mountain (4900' elevation gain from the nearest freeway) and the ~240 mile range of our 2012 Model S 85 still works well for all of our day to day driving, even when we have to make unexpected trips down and up the mountain. But 500+ miles of range would certainly be nice for road trips, as we enjoy visiting destinations off the beaten path (and often with little or no electrical infrastructure). Looking forward to the tri-motor Cybertruck.

Didn't say it was stupid and didn't mean to imply that either. I just see it very much as a niche car.

I can totally see it working for some buyers (particularly if the incentives kick in). But it's not likely someone eyeballing the Model S is going to choose the Mini either.

No the Mini-E is literally stupid and a waste of money

They had a better car 10 years ago when they ended their EV program (boggles my mind still) and this is what they came out with after all this time?

Garbage