Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid Air Grand Touring vs Tesla Model S Plaid.

WilliamG

Hinge Fanatic
Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
Lucid is not really producing cars in any quantity yet - really, really not - so it is far too early to compare them to any actual going-concern vehicle manufacturer, much less to crown them with success.

No real argument there. I'm just looking at it from purely a "car" perspective. Lucid as a company - their success is very much up in the air at the moment.

No real argument there. I'm just looking at it from purely a "car" perspective. Lucid as a company - their success is very much up in the air at the moment.
Pun intended?

If we’re talking about comparing Lucid to Tesla in terms of competing sales numbers, I highly doubt they have any intention of trying to approach the same volume. You can only sell so many cars in the price range, exclusivity is kind of important for many people buying in this price range, and high volume would degrade the quality expected in this price range.

WilliamG

Hinge Fanatic
Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
Pun intended?

If we’re talking about comparing Lucid to Tesla in terms of competing sales numbers, I highly doubt they have any intention of trying to approach the same volume. You can only sell so many cars in the price range, exclusivity is kind of important for many people buying in this price range, and high volume would degrade the quality expected in this price range.

Very much pun intended. And yes, - agreed. But much like Tesla, their goal is still going to be to sell enough of these Airs to be able to produce lower-cost versions. Currently they're nowhere near that goal.

WilliamG

Hinge Fanatic
Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
Yeah if that’s their goal they have a loooong way to go

I hadn’t realized that was their intent, figured they were determined to be a smaller high end boutiquey type of car company

They won't survive on cars costing $150k+, which is the current situation. They have the Air Pure ($87k) and Air Touring ($107k) waiting in the wings, but when these will deliver is another question...

In 2021, Tesla produced 24,980 total of Model S/X combined. So estimating ~12,500 Model S per year, I think that's enough to compete with the Model S.

Competition will benefit us all when it's time to buy the next car.
Good point. On the other hand, before Tesla started producing the 3/Y it was producing about 100,000 vehicles a year. So 7000 vehicles a year is pretty small if that's all that Lucid is producing. While Tesla also started slowly, some years before, that was in a different market, where EVs were essentially not a factor. Time has moved on and the EV production has gone mainstream. The commercial reality is that Lucid has to produce for the current market - where Tesla is mass producing EVs, and many other vehicle makers are starting to make them in significant numbers as well. Lucid is going to have to find a way to ramp up production quickly, or be regulated to a strictly niche position, or die.

They won't survive on cars costing $150k+, which is the current situation. They have the Air Pure ($87k) and Air Touring ($107k) waiting in the wings, but when these will deliver is another question...

This is why I ordered a base model air knowing it would get delivered last hoping they worked out all the bugs and kinks by then. I think theres a decent amount of people running into software issues frequently and that would probably infuriate me if I spent over $100k on a car. Of course it seems like theyre getting white glove treatment with service and loaner cars as they are essentially beta testers. Personally though, id probably spend $100k on a tesla right now over lucid mainly because teslas software is decently reliable.

Reactions: DBV1

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC