Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Lucid Air Makes Debut, Deliveries Planned for Spring 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lucid Motors debuted the production-bound version of its Lucid Air sedan, saying the vehicle is an attempt to “make the electric car better.”

Range is a huge selling point for electric vehicles and Lucid intends to take top honors in that category. It expects an EPA-rated range of 517 miles on a single charge. The company also plans neck-jerking power with with up to 1,080 horsepower available in a dual-motor, all-wheel-drive configuration capable of a quarter-mile pass in 9.9 seconds. It is the only electric sedan able to achieve a quarter-mile time under 10 seconds.

Lucid also says the Air will be the fastest charging electric vehicle ever offered, up to 20 miles per minute when connected to a DC Fast Charging network. The says the car can add 300 miles of range in just 20 minutes of charging.

Lucid has given special attention to the interior, touting a 34-inch curved “Glass Cockpit” 5K display that “floats” above the dashboard. Touch screen panel in the console offers vehicle controls.

lucid-air-interior-04-1024x704.jpg

The Lucid Air will be available initially in North America in four model ranges:

The Air, the starting point for the lineup, available in 2022 and starting below $80,000 ($72,500 after USA federal tax credit)The Air Touring model, available late 2021, from $95,000 ($87,500 after USA federal tax credit)The fully equipped Air Grand Touring, available mid 2021, from $139,000 ($131,500 after USA federal tax credit)The all-inclusive, limited-volume Air Dream Edition, available spring 2021, at $169,000 ($161,500 after USA federal tax credit)

The Lucid Air Dream Edition packs 1,080 horsepower. It’s available in Stellar White, Infinite Black, or a Dream Edition-exclusive Eureka Gold finish. Each color will come with an exclusive “Santa Monica” themed interior trim package, including full Nappa grain Bridge of Weir leather throughout and silvered Eucalyptus wood accents. The Dream Edition will also feature 21-inch “AeroDream” wheels.

The Touring and Grand Touring Editions offer 620hp and 800hp, respectively. The Air Grand Touring will have range available up 517 miles. Full details of available configurations and all Air models can be found on the Lucid Motors website following the reveal show on September 9, 2020.

Production at the Lucid Motors factory in Casa Grande, Arizona, will begin in the coming months, with deliveries of the Lucid Air to North American customers to commence in spring of 2021.

Last edited by a moderator:
same here, if you're the new kid on the block you need to have lower prices/value than the competition.

that being said I might check out the factory if they offer tours
I don’t think you could be more wrong.

Do you remember the Roadster and S? Tesla didn’t start with lower prices or value.

The first product is about branding. Start with leading performance and low-volume aspirational models, then move to value shoppers. Being too expensive for most buyers is very effective marketing.

Early MS owners paid $120k for a 200 mile S that accelerated worse than its ICE competition and luxury that would make Kia laugh. Lucid at $130k, and below, is a relative bargain- better than ICE and what we know of Tesla. Perhaps Tesla improves specs and luxury, but likely resulting in price increases.

I don’t think you could be more wrong.

Do you remember the Roadster and S? Tesla didn’t start with lower prices or value.

The first product is about branding. Start with leading performance and low-volume aspirational models, then move to value shoppers. Being too expensive for most buyers is very effective marketing.

Early MS owners paid $120k for a 200 mile S that accelerated worse than its ICE competition and luxury that would make Kia laugh. Lucid at $130k, and below, is a relative bargain- better than ICE and what we know of Tesla. Perhaps Tesla improves specs and luxury, but likely resulting in price increases.

I can see that as part of long term strategy. Tesla/Elon did announce that luxury-> value model early on though (why I waited 3 years for the SR 3)

I guess Lucid might not want to be a mass-market EV maker, a la Fiskar?

@T3SLAROD I'm sorry, but what the point to put a link call "Unplugged Performance" ?

Can you elaborate a little bit?

From what I can read, someone (who don't give a name, or role involvement with UP) congratulate Lucid for a 1:33 (unofficial yet I believe)
EV lap record at Laguna Seca with their 1,200 hp tri-motor still prototype compare to 1:35 with a 400 hp dual-motor Model 3P.

- There is not too much information about the Lucid prototype, in particular does a 120 kWh battery was used?

- In contrast (I believe) the Model 3P is quite standard with only beef-up tires, brakes, and suspension, and original 75 kWh battery.

It would be certainly more interesting to compare the (possible ?) future Model S tri-motors
or the (expected ?) Rimac Concept 2 1,400 hp $1.2 million super-car.

Note: One of the comments mention the 2012 lap record of 1:32 with a Kleenspeed EV-X11.

Last edited:
@T3SLAROD I'm sorry, but what the point to put a link call "Unplugged Performance" ?

Can you elaborate a little bit?

From what I can read, someone (who don't give a name, or role involvement with UP) congratulate Lucid for a 1:33 (unofficial yet I believe)
EV lap record at Laguna Seca with their 1,200 hp tri-motor still prototype compare to 1:35 with a 400 hp dual-motor Model 3P.

- There is not too much information about the Lucid prototype, in particular does a 120 kWh battery was used?

- In contrast (I believe) the Model 3P is quite standard with only beef-up tires, brakes, and suspension, and original 75 kWh battery.

It would be certainly more interesting to compare the (possible ?) future Model S tri-motors
or the (expected ?) Rimac Concept 2 1,400 hp $1.2 million super-car.

Note: One of the comments mention the 2012 lap record of 1:32 with a Kleenspeed EV-X11.

It’s a Lucid thread. Lucid is also showing they are capable of getting the car on the track. The Model 3 and this Lucid are Apples and Oranges.

Why are you offended that I put up a link about Lucid racing in a Lucid thread? I don’t get it.

Reactions: teslasuperfan
I
It’s a Lucid thread. Lucid is also showing they are capable of getting the car on the track. The Model 3 and this Lucid are Apples and Oranges.

Why are you offended that I put up a link about Lucid racing in a Lucid thread? I don’t get it.
It’s interesting that a car that has more than 2.5 the power of Unplugged car and 3 motors only beat it by 2 seconds. I think natural completion by Tesla and UP will come out of this...whether it’s with the 3 or a race car plaid model

• Disagree
Reactions: BlindPass
I

It’s interesting that a car that has more than 2.5 the power of Unplugged car and 3 motors only beat it by 2 seconds. I think natural completion by Tesla and UP will come out of this...whether it’s with the 3 or a race car plaid model

I think UP is going to get into the Lucid market too, thats why I posted it in the first place. 2 Seconds is a long time.

It’s interesting that a car that has more than 2.5 the power of Unplugged car and 3 motors only beat it by 2 seconds.

I think natural completion by Tesla and UP will come out of this...whether it’s with the 3 or a race car plaid model
Not that interesting in lap times.The UP M3 driven by Pobst beat Tesla’s 3-motor Model S.

For Lucid’s tri-motor to already beat the UP M3P by 2 seconds and the Plaid by 3 seconds is significant. I wonder what UP and Pobst could post in a Lucid tri-motor?

Model S tri-motor announced with 520mi range, ~9s 1/4mi, and 1:30 at Laguna Seca. Slightly beats the Lucid Air Dream Edition.

On a side note, the Lucid prototype running 1:33 at Laguna Seca is rumored to be an unannounced tri-motor, but there's no evidence it's anything other than a regular Dream Edition.

I wish there was more information about the tri-motors, batteries, suspension, brakes, body modifications or additional spoiler.

All the Tesla Model S versions look identical, so no beefed up rear quarter panel for the two motors and larger wheels?

Looking at Sebastian Vittel Youtube channel, I only noticed:

Tire : michelin sport cup 2 with specific gum that will be available when car will be released Very similar to Cup 2 R tire.
Seat: bucket seat for my security only.

I can't wait for the Nürburgring !!!

Tesla MODEL S PLAID 1100HP record lap Laguna SECA

Last edited:
I have a phone appointment with a Lucid sales agent next week. There are still a lot of unanswered questions such as service and warranty but the vehicle looks great imo. I’m tempted to put down a reservation.

I would prefer Tesla of course but I’m just finding it more and more difficult to deal with the poor service. It’s just getting worse and worse. Now the new thing seems to be pushing people to pay for warranty repairs.

Model S tri-motor announced with 520mi range, ~9s 1/4mi, and 1:30 at Laguna Seca. Slightly beats the Lucid Air Dream Edition.
Elon claimed S Plaid can do under 9s 1/4 mi, there is no video evidence to prove that. The 520 mile range claim is a joke because it is obvious that is a response to Lucid 517 mile. Again, there is no evidence Plaid achieved 520 mile, only Elon's claim. We know how robotaxis and FSD promises turned out. Well, Tesla has over a year to make it work. Lucid is not sitting still either. They will keep one upping each other.