Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Lucid Air Makes Debut, Deliveries Planned for Spring 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lucid Motors debuted the production-bound version of its Lucid Air sedan, saying the vehicle is an attempt to “make the electric car better.”

Range is a huge selling point for electric vehicles and Lucid intends to take top honors in that category. It expects an EPA-rated range of 517 miles on a single charge. The company also plans neck-jerking power with with up to 1,080 horsepower available in a dual-motor, all-wheel-drive configuration capable of a quarter-mile pass in 9.9 seconds. It is the only electric sedan able to achieve a quarter-mile time under 10 seconds.

Lucid also says the Air will be the fastest charging electric vehicle ever offered, up to 20 miles per minute when connected to a DC Fast Charging network. The says the car can add 300 miles of range in just 20 minutes of charging.

Lucid has given special attention to the interior, touting a 34-inch curved “Glass Cockpit” 5K display that “floats” above the dashboard. Touch screen panel in the console offers vehicle controls.

lucid-air-interior-04-1024x704.jpg

The Lucid Air will be available initially in North America in four model ranges:

The Air, the starting point for the lineup, available in 2022 and starting below $80,000 ($72,500 after USA federal tax credit)The Air Touring model, available late 2021, from $95,000 ($87,500 after USA federal tax credit)The fully equipped Air Grand Touring, available mid 2021, from $139,000 ($131,500 after USA federal tax credit)The all-inclusive, limited-volume Air Dream Edition, available spring 2021, at $169,000 ($161,500 after USA federal tax credit)

The Lucid Air Dream Edition packs 1,080 horsepower. It’s available in Stellar White, Infinite Black, or a Dream Edition-exclusive Eureka Gold finish. Each color will come with an exclusive “Santa Monica” themed interior trim package, including full Nappa grain Bridge of Weir leather throughout and silvered Eucalyptus wood accents. The Dream Edition will also feature 21-inch “AeroDream” wheels.

The Touring and Grand Touring Editions offer 620hp and 800hp, respectively. The Air Grand Touring will have range available up 517 miles. Full details of available configurations and all Air models can be found on the Lucid Motors website following the reveal show on September 9, 2020.

Production at the Lucid Motors factory in Casa Grande, Arizona, will begin in the coming months, with deliveries of the Lucid Air to North American customers to commence in spring of 2021.

Last edited by a moderator:
What happened to the original claims that they would have a sub-$60k offering for the “masses“? They have definitely positioned themselves as a competitor to the S, not the 3 - it appears they have given up on that segment. In my mind, “starting below $80,000” means $79,995.

I think the plan is to wait until they can do mass production before offering a sub $60k Air. There is no point in offering a sub $60k car at low volume.

I think the plan is to wait until they can do mass production before offering a sub $60k Air. There is no point in offering a sub $60k car at low volume.
I would have thought that to be the case - that they would delay making those until later - but I don’t even see the $60k car in their line-up anymore, and the one that was billed to come out at $60k now shows up as $80k. Also, the fancy executive seats used to show up as an option in the configuration page, but are gone now. So the “cheap” model is less cheap and the dream edition is less dreamy. It seems as though they are capitulating to some tough realities as they approach commercial production. This is where the showmanship and hype are cleaved from what they can actually do.

Reactions: ICUDoc
I bought shares of $CCIV on a whim, but I’m not very optimistic about the sedan being a big success. There is very little excitement on the Lucid Motors forums that I’ve found. The Rivian forum is much busier. Does anyone on here have a reservation?

I have a reservation for a lucid grand touring. I have followed the companies ups and downs and it really looks like they will make a go of it with the billions of additional investments. I saw the car in Manhattan and was suitably impressed with the styling, amenities and fit and finish on these preproduction vehicles. I have driven a model S performance since early 2015( a P85DL then a 2019 Raven performance). I just couldn’t pull the trigger on a Plaid and drive essentially the same looking car for another 4 years. Yes there are some trade offs, mostly loosing the cavernous trunk, but the range was a big decider. 500 plus vs the 330 I have now, plus with tesla opening up the supercharger network Tesla will loose that huge advantage. I plan to travel more as I reach retirement and this plays into my thinking

I have a reservation for a lucid grand touring. I have followed the companies ups and downs and it really looks like they will make a go of it with the billions of additional investments. I saw the car in Manhattan and was suitably impressed with the styling, amenities and fit and finish on these preproduction vehicles. I have driven a model S performance since early 2015( a P85DL then a 2019 Raven performance). I just couldn’t pull the trigger on a Plaid and drive essentially the same looking car for another 4 years. Yes there are some trade offs, mostly loosing the cavernous trunk, but the range was a big decider. 500 plus vs the 330 I have now, plus with tesla opening up the supercharger network Tesla will loose that huge advantage. I plan to travel more as I reach retirement and this plays into my thinking
Did you get to sit in the Air? Is it easier to get in and out compared to the Model S?

About the same getting in and out of the lucid and model S front seat. The back seat has a few more inches and is easier to egress. The interior is simply stunning. I have spent 7 years making excuses for the model S as spartan, or minimalist, or Scandinavian. Don’t get me wrong, I love my model S, otherwise I would have not bought 2 back to back. I’ve never done that with any other car I’ve owned. It’s just that’s where you interact and spend time with the car and I feel it’s just not what I expect for a 6 figure car. I love the outside style, the software, the performance of the S. It’s just you have few of the amenities that cars that cost 1/2 as much have. It’s painful for me to admit this but there it is. Let’s see what the next major refresh of the S brings( probably 5 years). Maybe cars like the Lucid, the Rivian, or the new audi or Merc EV will push Tesla to step up their game with the interior.

About the same getting in and out of the lucid and model S front seat. The back seat has a few more inches and is easier to egress. The interior is simply stunning. I have spent 7 years making excuses for the model S as spartan, or minimalist, or Scandinavian. Don’t get me wrong, I love my model S, otherwise I would have not bought 2 back to back. I’ve never done that with any other car I’ve owned. It’s just that’s where you interact and spend time with the car and I feel it’s just not what I expect for a 6 figure car. I love the outside style, the software, the performance of the S. It’s just you have few of the amenities that cars that cost 1/2 as much have. It’s painful for me to admit this but there it is. Let’s see what the next major refresh of the S brings( probably 5 years). Maybe cars like the Lucid, the Rivian, or the new audi or Merc EV will push Tesla to step up their game with the interior.
I've sat in the Lucid demo car at the Valley Fair mall. I think the Lucid interior is somewhat nicer than the Model S but the gap isn't that large. The Lucid interior is itself still pretty minimalist.

Reactions: Ormond
Yes @Ormond sat in a refresh S at a supercharger last month. It is a nice upgrade in materials and design but in a way it also is mimicking the design cues of the down market model 3. Not the way I would have gone. Of course any improvements are a good thing. I’m just sorry that I may never see actual FSD after having it for 6 1/2 years.

Reactions: Ormond
Yes @Ormond sat in a refresh S at a supercharger last month. It is a nice upgrade in materials and design but in a way it also is mimicking the design cues of the down market model 3. Not the way I would have gone. Of course any improvements are a good thing. I’m just sorry that I may never see actual FSD after having it for 6 1/2 years.
I’m tempted to reserve an Air also. There’s a video of Rawlinson driving a black Air in NYC on Twitter. IMHO, it’s a handsome automobile.