Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid Air - Thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming they can bring it to market, and it drives as well as it looks, and all the promises are upheld, it's a great alternative to those that have a dislike of Tesla.

It's out of my price range, being more a Model S competitor.

I have followed Lucid for some time.

What we do not know, can they deliver what the hype promises? It won't have the supercharger network, for one. In addition, we saw the Porsche Taycan had the spec on paper, it has many Porsche characteristics, but it is less efficient and has less range than the Model S.

So we will have to wait for en experienced, impartial, EV fluent journalist to give those answers.

Tony

Agree it's a modelS 2.0 without the charging network and even fewer service centres. And probably american build and paint quality.
A shame no-one has added electrochromic glass patches into that instead of the sun-visors ($$$) and it definately needs a KITT or Cylon red light in the front cluster.

I like the motors (ok, motors, coupled transmission, inverter). Most of the obvious adantages come from this. Size, efficiency.
Not a word from the computer onboard, software, integration. My guess is that it is VW like (still far away from Tesla) otherwise we would know more. No shortage of performance, size, efficiency, range news. This is related to the motors. Battery wise, nothing special.

I had a look at the details about it and it seems they have looked at the competition and added the improvements that people have asked for and the competition needs. Although the competition could add this later in model revisions.

Vehicle to Grid
Vehicle to Home
19kw AC charging
DC plug and pay (they have signed up with Electrify America at the mo over there)

Very nice premium car (Not that i could afford one)

When it comes... yes, this is the most important QUESTION!:D
When?
Every year... it's next year :rolleyes::cool:
Lucids new slogan - Start of the new year ("End of the year" is owned by Elon)

Walked by the tv while wife watching some show (while playing game on her phone), and heard “Lucid air” and saw car. Must have been the end of the commercial. I said, “wow, a Lucid Air commercial”. She said, “what’s that?” I guess ad was not very successful but they must be getting more serious about delivering cars.

I have been watching Lucid for a while as I have an investment in a #spac that looks like its going to be doing a reverse merger with Lucid worth a reported $15bn.

Lucid dealerships and charging network are currently being opened in the states and 3 versions of the Lucid are available to order, obviously a long way behind Tesla but the batteries are some 17% more efficient (and smaller) than Tesla and being run in the Formula e cars with quicker charge times.

The cars dont look half bad either and looks like company that might give Tesla a run for their money in the future, unless Tesla can keep innovating design and battery, improving build quality & service levels.

One to keep your eye on... but cant see this arriving into the UK anytime soon?

I have been watching Lucid for a while as I have an investment in a #spac that looks like its going to be doing a reverse merger with Lucid worth a reported $15bn.

Lucid dealerships and charging network are currently being opened in the states and 3 versions of the Lucid are available to order, obviously a long way behind Tesla but the batteries are some 17% more efficient (and smaller) than Tesla and being run in the Formula e cars with quicker charge times.

The cars dont look half bad either and looks like company that might give Tesla a run for their money in the future, unless Tesla can keep innovating design and battery, improving build quality & service levels.

One to keep your eye on... but cant see this arriving into the UK anytime soon?
I am not sure the desired characteristics of Formula E batteries and road car batteries are exactly the same. durability not a bit deal for motor racing. Pretty sure most Brands could make their batteries smaller and lighter if they wanted to but at what cost? and I don't just mean cost in £.

I admire the pioneers in the EV space who through their hard earned at Tesla and others in the early days when they were completely unproven, but to want to do that in 2021 when there are alternatives and a supercharger network. Now that takes a leap of faith or a real desire to be different.

I’ve also been keeping an eye on Lucid and I like what I see. Batteries look good, and they also seem to have done impressive things with the motors - up to 670bhp from a motor weighing 74Kg. 300 miles range in a 20 minute charge is superb. Love the 5K screen, and the headlights look like they’ll knock the very basic lights on the M3 into a cocked hat. Interesting that they will be using HD Lidar and high res maps for their safety/autonomy features, which are not offered by Tesla. A few physical buttons for volume and HVAC are also be welcome.

Of course non of this is proven yet and the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. But I see no reason to dismiss Lucid, and I’m not one of those people who are convinced that only Tesla is capable of any sort of innovation in EV technology.

Reactions: Artiste
The new M3 headlights are actually rather good. They still have issues with auto-dimming but the lights themselves are powerful. At least UK spec ones are anyway.

It’s great that the lights on the 2021 model are an improvement on the awful lights on my M3P, but even so they are still just bog standard LED lights and I know the auto dimming issues haven’t been resolved yet. Technology has moved on. I’ve been using adaptive matrix LED lights for years, and the new Audi digital matrix lights take automotive lighting to a whole new level. Tesla, frankly, is using lighting technology that is unremarkable and outdated in this class of car.

Reactions: Artiste
It’s great that the lights on the 2021 model are an improvement on the awful lights on my M3P, but even so they are still just bog standard LED lights and I know the auto dimming issues haven’t been resolved yet. Technology has moved on. I’ve been using adaptive matrix LED lights for years, and the new Audi digital matrix lights take automotive lighting to a whole new level. Tesla, frankly, is using lighting technology that is unremarkable and outdated in this class of car.

The new ones look to be matrix although nothing dynamic implemented in software at this point. Anyway they are plenty good enough for lighting to be a non-issue in this car. Yes the auto-dimming is crude and could be a lot better. But if I was comparing Lucid to Tesla, lighting would certainly not be a deal breaker. I'm sure Tesla can bump up the lighting tech when it suits the bean-counters. Porsche still fit halogens as base spec on many of their cars and then charge thousands to upgrade to LED and then add even more for adaptive. I very much doubt Audi fit adaptive matrix lights as standard either. No doubt a multi-thousand upgrade too.

Reactions: Zakalwe