Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid Air vs Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Lucid Air does look really good but it still needs to get into production. Also the Lucid Air would need access to nationwide fast charging to make it truly competitive with the Model S. So Tesla's got time. But I imagine that Tesla will refresh the interior of the S, to make it more more luxurious but also bring the S interior in line with the 3 per the leaks we got. I also imagine that the Model S may get more range. I would love to see the high end Model S get 400 mi range. Maybe it does not need it but if you are paying $100k+ for a EV like a Tesla, getting 400 mi of range would be a fantastic perk.

I hope the Lucid Air does get produced and sold to customers because I think it could be a really good luxury EV. But we should remember that there is no guarantee that the car will even make it to production yet. After all, Lucid only now just got financing to start building the factory that will produce the car. The car actually getting built and sold is not a done deal yet.

Best case scenario is Dec 2020 for first deliveries.

Model S should have significantly improved by then or shortly thereafter.

It is not a done deal but pretty close.

Lucid estimates they need $240M to start production at run rate of 10k cars per year or $700M for full factory at 130k cars per year.

Pending regulatory approval( would would be the rational for Feds stopping investment?), the Saudis will invest over $1B into Lucid.

Lucid Motors, with new EV in the works, is missing just one thing -- cash

IF and I stress IF Lucid makes what they claim Tesla can easily match them at will. Tesla doesn't need to jack range to 400miles or anything like that for now because they have zero competition at that end of the market. If it looks like Lucid is actually nearing production and delivery Tesla will match or best them then.

I would love to see Lucid succeed it will only make Tesla better.

On paper, new vehicles will look like Tesla killers.

We went through this with the Chevy Bolt. They introduced a lower priced model with reasonable range before Tesla started selling the Model 3 - and since the Bolt hit the market, it hasn't been a serious competitor.

We're going through this now with Audi's e-tron. UBS is underwhelmed with the e-tron specs. And when reality sets in on long distance charging, it also won't be a serious competitor in the near term.

Nio and Lucid could be serious competitors - same with the other manufacturers - but they don't have cars on the market now - and by the time they do get them out, Tesla will have had even more time to build out the supercharger & destination charger network, and also introduce new vehicles (Y, Roadster 2.0, pickup, semi, …).

Competition is good - and should encourage Tesla to add features likely to be present in other vehicles, like Apple CarPlay or Android Auto - and also to find ways to match the competition on price, range and performance.

Reactions: MarkKW