Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid Air Will Be Better Than Model S, Says Former Tesla Engineer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the advantages/disadvantages to a higher volt architecture like the Porsche or Lucid?
You may need to use google and research for yourself.

Sandy Munro mentions 800v efficient BUT very dangerous.

higher volts - smaller wires
BUT Tesla already has shortest high volt wires - by design [much shorter than Bolt for example - see Munro Model Y tear down.]

I don't know what to believe! :confused:

This guy used to tell me one network provided the best service.

canyouhearmenow_verizon.jpg

Years later, he was hired by a different cellular provider and claimed it provided the best service.

ct-sprint-verizon-commercial-can-you-hear-me-now-20160607

Tesla had some of the best service and support of any car dealer. Now with the release of the 3 it's likely in the very bottom of all car companies and their sales and delivery people lie like used car salespeople at times. Yes, things change and people leave companies to competitors.

Tesla had some of the best service and support of any car dealer. Now with the release of the 3 it's likely in the very bottom of all car companies and their sales and delivery people lie like used car salespeople at times. Yes, things change and people leave companies to competitors.
I think too dangerous - Sandy Munro mentioned in May Q&A, he is fearful of voltage that high.

Well, with that seems like it's pretty legit

Sounds really great

The Model Y would be a great fit for my lifestyle, but the only Tesla I would consider is the Model S due to range. After a lifetime of ICE even 400 miles sounds just a bit constraining on a 80/20 charge battery profile.

500+ miles means I can do low-cost overnight charging at home, no worries about getting caught short and having to kill time at a commercial charging station. Even short cross-country drives are feasible.

I'll be very interested to see that the rest of the deal is on the Lucid September 9th unveiling.

The Model Y would be a great fit for my lifestyle, but the only Tesla I would consider is the Model S due to range. After a lifetime of ICE even 400 miles sounds just a bit constraining on a 80/20 charge battery profile.

I got the Model S LR+ a few months ago, and I have quickly learned that 402 miles EPA is overkill. Actually, let me break it down a little… That works out to roughly 350 miles on the highway at normal cruising speed (i.e. 70-75 MPH), although a headwind can reduce that somewhat. If I routinely charge to 80% overnight, then I start every morning with around 280 miles of travel ready to go. That’s massive excess for routine daily driving, and even covers the large majority out-of-town day trips I am ever likely to take. For the most part, the only time I should need to charge away from home is during a multi-day road trip.

When it comes to road trips, it seems that people have different travel habits and expectations. If you are trying to cannonball from A to B in a marathon drive and minimum elapsed time, then it could be a problem. I don’t travel like that. I like to be on the road maybe 12 hours and then have my down time in the evening. The most I’ve driven in one day was 650 miles, and I didn’t much like that and would prefer to not do it again. 500 per day is no stress to me. I don’t see any difficulty doing 500 in the Model S with one or two charging sessions during the day. The Lucid Air wouldn’t be able to make that run without a stop somewhere either. So, there’s not much practical difference, IMHO.

BTW, the rule of keeping SoC between 20% and 80% (or 90%, depending who you talk to) is for daily driving. If I am planning a long trip, I have no qualms about charging to 100 at home and then running it down as far as I need to. Because you know, that would be maybe once or twice a year, not all the time. It shouldn’t hurt anything.

interesting, so why didn't tesla opt for higher voltages from the start?

Lots of EVs use 350v-400v systems. So the electric subsystems are mass produced to use these voltages and are available at mass production prices. And lots of hybrid vehicles use 48v systems.

All the mundane stuff is powered by 12v systems like power windows,power locks, power mirrors. That is why Tesla still has a 12v "car" battery.

The subsystems to take full advantage of 800v-900v are produced in boutique numbers and are far more expensive.

Tesla will soon be big enough by itself to create economies of scale for 800v-900v subsystems .

Reactions: Lobstahz and 5JMJ
I got the Model S LR+ a few months ago, and I have quickly learned that 402 miles EPA is overkill. Actually, let me break it down a little… That works out to roughly 350 miles on the highway at normal cruising speed (i.e. 70-75 MPH), although a headwind can reduce that somewhat. If I routinely charge to 80% overnight, then I start every morning with around 280 miles of travel ready to go. That’s massive excess for routine daily driving, and even covers the large majority out-of-town day trips I am ever likely to take. For the most part, the only time I should need to charge away from home is during a multi-day road trip.

When it comes to road trips, it seems that people have different travel habits and expectations. If you are trying to cannonball from A to B in a marathon drive and minimum elapsed time, then it could be a problem. I don’t travel like that. I like to be on the road maybe 12 hours and then have my down time in the evening. The most I’ve driven in one day was 650 miles, and I didn’t much like that and would prefer to not do it again. 500 per day is no stress to me. I don’t see any difficulty doing 500 in the Model S with one or two charging sessions during the day. The Lucid Air wouldn’t be able to make that run without a stop somewhere either. So, there’s not much practical difference, IMHO.

BTW, the rule of keeping SoC between 20% and 80% (or 90%, depending who you talk to) is for daily driving. If I am planning a long trip, I have no qualms about charging to 100 at home and then running it down as far as I need to. Because you know, that would be maybe once or twice a year, not all the time. It shouldn’t hurt anything.

Yeah, but when you have to drive 500 miles a day, having to spend even an extra minute waiting for the car to charge can be pretty annoying. I mean, I'm pretty annoyed at having to stop for 5 mins to fill up the gas tank on my way back from work. With that said, I'd much rather not having to stop for gas on a regular basis than having to stop for a charging station occasionally.