Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid Air Will Be Better Than Model S, Says Former Tesla Engineer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is a good looking car! :)

EgJX0pkUMAAr9Av
That’s not even its best angle. So sleek.

I personally find the S better aesthetically overall, but the Air is another great looking EV. The front view is beautiful.

"As a result, when we begin customer deliveries early next year, the Lucid Air will offer class-leading interior space, a sculpted 113kWh battery pack, and the largest frunk ever offered in an electric car.

In addition to unprecedented interior passenger space for its compact exterior footprint, the Lucid Air also comes with the largest frunk ever offered in a production EV. With a capacity of over 280 liters, the Lucid Air’s frunk is 89 percent larger than the current leader in its vehicle class and 40 percent larger than the current EV leader in the SUV class. In combination with its trunk, Lucid Air offers a total of 739 liters of luggage space, best in class for both electric and internal combustion engine vehicles by some margin."

EgWTjTAWAAEhrr4

Lucid’s “Space Concept” Delivers Class-Leading Interior and Storage Space

"As a result, when we begin customer deliveries early next year, the Lucid Air will offer class-leading interior space, a sculpted 113kWh battery pack, and the largest frunk ever offered in an electric car.

In addition to unprecedented interior passenger space for its compact exterior footprint, the Lucid Air also comes with the largest frunk ever offered in a production EV. With a capacity of over 280 liters, the Lucid Air’s frunk is 89 percent larger than the current leader in its vehicle class and 40 percent larger than the current EV leader in the SUV class. In combination with its trunk, Lucid Air offers a total of 739 liters of luggage space, best in class for both electric and internal combustion engine vehicles by some margin."

EgWTjTAWAAEhrr4

Lucid’s “Space Concept” Delivers Class-Leading Interior and Storage Space
Good find. Sounds about right give its range estimate and emphasis on efficiency.

As for the interior space, the extra space in the frunk is nice, but it will be hard to beat the functional storage space I have with the hatchback S. That thing is a sneaky station wagon in regards to utility.

That 739 liters (about 26ft3) is about the size of the rear cargo area in the Model S and way bigger than the Model 3 trunk. But it's not a hatch so the Model S still wins on utility.

517 miles out of a 113kWh battery is really good. The Model S battery capacity isn't disclosed, but it gets 402 miles out of ~115kWh of wall energy. I'm guessing the Model S battery is right around 110kWh.

This Lucid is turning out very differently from those inefficient, not-that-great Euro brand EVs.

I agree, the reason I got a model S instead of a model 3 is that it is a hatchback. I can put two mountain bikes in it!

It's a "proper" sedan instead of a hackback, so it's better than the Model S? The Model S being a hatchback was one of it's best features!

I've been able to my all my kid's stuff back and forth to college. That just would not be possible in a normal sedan.

Reactions: BlindPass
Harder to do, which is why Lucid’s Air is so impressive.
They haven’t delivered the car yet. They haven’t revealed any price information. I agree that early indications are impressive. We need to compare Lucid to the product that Tesla will be delivering when Lucid is widely available for purchase. Tesla is not standing still as Audi and Porsche have learned.

They haven’t delivered the car yet. They haven’t revealed any price information. I agree that early indications are impressive. We need to compare Lucid to the product that Tesla will be delivering when Lucid is widely available for purchase. Tesla is not standing still as Audi and Porsche have learned.
Yeah, I know this was behind your misplaced satire. It’s simply wrong to imply they’ve just stated they’ve built a car. They’ve built the car. How else do you think Lucid has set such high marks in all these tests? These aren’t prototypes either.

I can assure you we don’t need the price released to know it’s going to be a low-volume luxury EV. They don’t need to prove they can do the M3 scale-up, because they’re not doing one. It’s similar to how Tesla started with the S, albeit with a much better initial offering. Lucid doesn’t have the advantage of there being no bar like when the S was released, although there are more EV aware buyers. Hopefully it’s actual luxury, and not just premium like S.

What have Audi and Porsche learned? The Taycan is a better luxury car than the S, and the E-Tron better in many regards than the MY and X. Tesla is targeting increasingly down-market, American and Chinese buyers. I don’t think that’s what Audi and Porsche are going after, which are mostly emissions metrics

I take road trips over 700 miles every couple of months. My model X with 300 miles doesn't have nearly the range I'd like. I'd like to see at least 500 miles of range. It's enough to get where I'm going, drive around the area, and return with a total of 2 charges for the trip.

By raising the bar on the range, Lucid Air will push Tesla to do the same. If the car is priced around $100k for those specs, it would be really competitive, except for the lack of a supercharger network. That's a big issue because I'd favor a Tesla with 400 miles on Superchargers over Lucid Air with 500 range on other charging networks.

For me to buy another Tesla, I'd want to see at least 500 miles of range. I have one of the earlier reservations for the CyberTruck, so hopefully that won't take too long.

I don't understand how Lucid Air claims they have the best quarter mile for a production vehicle when they're not being produced though.

I take road trips over 700 miles every couple of months. My model X with 300 miles doesn't have nearly the range I'd like. I'd like to see at least 500 miles of range. It's enough to get where I'm going, drive around the area, and return with a total of 2 charges for the trip.

By raising the bar on the range, Lucid Air will push Tesla to do the same. If the car is priced around $100k for those specs, it would be really competitive, except for the lack of a supercharger network. That's a big issue because I'd favor a Tesla with 400 miles on Superchargers over Lucid Air with 500 range on other charging networks.

For me to buy another Tesla, I'd want to see at least 500 miles of range. I have one of the earlier reservations for the CyberTruck, so hopefully that won't take too long.

I don't understand how Lucid Air claims they have the best quarter mile for a production vehicle when they're not being produced though.

And don't forget the Lucid claims charging to 300 miles in 20 minutes. I real big deal, and not just for XC driving.

But as you say, it will be interesting to see the $$$ and the specs. If it is a $100K car, the MS suddenly looks very archaic. If it is a $150K car, its Apples and Oranges.