Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid Air Will Be Better Than Model S, Says Former Tesla Engineer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lucid Touring and Plaid Model S are about a year away in the US. I'd probably hang on the to S85D for that year to wait for the details of the specifications. But based upon past practices, it will take longer for these cars to reach Europe.

We feel good about the timing of our August 2019 Long Range Raven:
1) FSD was $6,000 then vs. $10,000 now.
2) We got the last $1,875 of Federal Tax Credit.
3) We got the $2,500 California rebate before it was abolished for cars over $50K.
4) We got free supercharging for life, no longer available since the price cut last spring. This has already saved about $1,600, thanks to cross country travel this summer.

The 4 items above offset the price cuts.

Last edited:
Yes I know Lucid won't deliver to Europe soon. And to be honest, service will be a big ??? ...

If O had bought a raven I would not be sad. But right now, I will wait.

I am fine if the Lucid just serves to increase pressure by a bit :) and buy a Model S after. I won't get free SuC again, that's clear.

Good to know there are more EVs available !!!

The Lucid seems to have some good characteristics but I wonder how big is the market for this type of car,
especially in Europe already dominated by current and coming EVs from Porsche, Audi, Volvo...
with a big dealer infrastructure, which is Tesla Achilles' heel in this market.

If you look at the past years Model S/X production of about 50k a year, would Lucid Motor able to survive with that kind of low sales number?

If you look at the past years Model S/X production of about 50k a year, would Lucid Motor able to survive with that kind of low sales number?

Long term no. But that is not the plan. Remember Tesla also started with a pricey roadster and a high end Model S in order to get the revenue to eventually mass produce the Model 3. Lucid is trying the same strategy: use the high end Lucid Air to survive short term, and generate enough revenue that they can use to eventually mass produce a more affordable car. Eventually, Lucid will also need to mass produce and sell a "model 3" type car.

Reactions: RobStark

Casa Grande Arizona factory will have capacity for 400k cars per year once fully built out.

Also appears Saudi Public Investment Fund wants to fund a car factory in Saudi Arabia

The end game isn't selling just the Air sedan and Gravity SUV in the $70k Plus range.

Report: Lucid in talks to build plant in Saudi Arabia

Reactions: diplomat33
After Lucid said Air would get 517 miles of EPA rated range Tesla said Model S would get 520 within a couple of days.

After Lucid said Air base price was $69,990 Elon lowered Model S base price to $69,420 next day.

Lucid doing a little trolling themselves.

Eu3qkzDXUAUukk5

• Funny
Reactions: Needsdecaf
Luxury == unnecessary consumption
Post luxury == unnecessary consumption beyond belief

Are they really want to paint such a picture?

:p

Apparently yes. And before they’ve even produced and delivered any. I’m positive they won’t run into any manufacturing, logistic, supply chain etc.. issues, all of which were obviously only going to be unique to Tesla. Lucid will only experience Production Heaven.

Apparently yes. And before they’ve even produced and delivered any. I’m positive they won’t run into any manufacturing, logistic, supply chain etc.. issues, all of which were obviously only going to be unique to Tesla. Lucid will only experience Production Heaven.

Lucid is not attempting Alien Dreadnaught nor Fluffer Bots.

They simply want to iterate a moderate improvement on the Toyota Production System.

Of course there has not been any improvement or deepening of the global EV supply chain since Model S was introduced.

Reminds me of all the guys on the Porsche forums telling me that Teslas were crap and the Taycan was going to have no issues once they rolled out, because, you know, big boy time.

LOL. 12v battery stranding people anyone? Automotive manufacturing is NOT an easy arena to just jump in.

Gordon Murray Design (GMD), headed by the man who designed the F1 Hypercar, has been trying to get his low cost production method, iStream, off the ground for nearly a decade now. The idea would be to simplify automotive production so the likes of an established manfuacturer outside the automotive marketplace could make automobiles on the cheap.

So far, zero takers.

Gordon Murray iStream

Reactions: wws