Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid (Atieva) reveal is December 14th. I'll be there, let you know afterwards.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally saw the Lucid Air in person today at Cars and Coffee in Aliso Viejo...

I wrote an article on my blog for my first impressions of the Lucid Air.

Here is the article.

IMG_0805 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

IMG_0890 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

It's an impressive car...

I'll have a follow up on the second Southern California "ride-event" after...

I might be driving a Lucid tonight in Los Angeles. More later...

Looks like @TonyWilliams went to the first event this evening...

Thanks Dennis for the pics.
The rear legroom is HUGE!
My understanding is the Air is a slightly smaller car than the Model S on the outside but is much bigger inside. It puts the Model S to shame.
Somehow the Lucid folks are able to carve out more interior space from a smaller package. Perhaps they call it the Air for its roominess?

My understanding is the Air is a slightly smaller car than the Model S on the outside but is much bigger inside. It puts the Model S to shame.
Somehow the Lucid folks are able to carve out more interior space from a smaller package. Perhaps they call it the Air for its roominess?
Quite possibly it's because of all the interior space that it's called Air... I'll get a chance to ride in it at tomorrow's events...

Hopefully some who went on Saturday evening can give their thoughts...

"Somehow" is a high C pillar(not sexy) and eating into storage space in the trunk. If you design the car more like a Prius( also include Model X here) than a Maserati 4 door Coupe then yes you will have more interior space. If you recline the rear passenger seats into the space usually reserved for the trunk or hatch area you will have more passenger room.

Lesser reasons are planned higher energy density cells than was available back when the Model S was designed allowing removing of cell modules under rear passenger feet and putting cells under what is the console between the front seats. Elon thought that having this space empty would be greatly appreciated by customers to store women's handbags or briefcases. Or simply give an aura of roominess. Alas, the vast majority of customers thought otherwise and wanted aftermarket consoles. Eventually, Tesla gave in and offered factory consoles standard.

Lucid did not break the laws of physics with a 4th dimension. Model S 2.0 will take advantage of the new cell density and lessons learned from customer feedback.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
"Somehow" is a high C pillar(not sexy) and eating into storage space in the trunk. If you design the car more like a Prius( also include Model X here) than a Maserati 4 door Coupe then yes you will have more interior space. If you recline the rear passenger seats into the space usually reserved for the trunk or hatch area you will have more passenger room.

Lesser reasons are planned higher energy density cells than was available back when the Model S was designed allowing removing of cell modules under rear passenger feet and putting cells under what is the console between the front seats. Elon thought that having this space empty would be greatly appreciated by customers to store women's handbags or briefcases. Or simply give an aura of roominess. Alas, the vast majority of customers thought otherwise and wanted aftermarket consoles. Eventually, Tesla gave in and offered factory consoles standard.

Lucid did not break the laws of physics with a 4th dimension. Model S 2.0 will take advantage of the new cell density and lessons learned from customer feedback.

Of course they did not break any law of physics. If you watch their presentation, they explained very clearly how they did it.
First by having a cab forward design. They push the dash and front occupants forward to create more room for the rear.
Second, they sculpture their battery pack to create more leg room, instead of a more simple flat pack like Tesla.
Third, their drive unit is smaller and more efficient and this gives them more room.

Also, they have a rear bench seat option which does not recline, thus does not eat into trunk space. You still get a decently sized trunk.

First by having a cab forward design. They push the dash and front occupants forward to create more room for the rear.

Model S is not cab rearword design. Pushing occupants towards front bumper increasing chance of injury. Cab forward design is not a revolutionary concept. My sisters 93 Chrysler Concorde had it.

Second, they sculpture their battery pack to create more leg room, instead of a more simple flat pack like Tesla.

Like I said. Modules under console. Remove modules under feet of rear passengers.

Also, when Tesla designed the flat pack it was with battery swap in mind. It appears Tesla has given up on the concept and believes Supercharging v3 will be close enough to gasoline refill time to satisfy the vast majority of potential buyers.

Third, their drive unit is smaller and more efficient and this gives them more room.

Did they make it a third of the size of Tesla's or smaller? If not added space is marginal.

Also, they have a rear bench seat option which does not recline, thus does not eat into trunk space. You still get a decently sized trunk.

The structure of the car is built to accommodate those executive seats resulting in a smaller trunk. I guess "decent" is subjective but Air will have much less space for rear storage than Model S 1.0. In reality Lucid Air will have to compete with Model S 2.0.

Last edited:
Also, when Tesla designed the flat pack it was with battery swap in mind. It appears Tesla has given up on the concept and believes Supercharging v3 will be close enough to gasoline refill time to satisfy the vast majority of potential buyers.
Not so much as gave up, as things changed. First there was the titanium plate which was added to prevent road debris fires. That changed the 90 second swap to 15 minutes, and wasn't automated like it originally was. That plus the $80 cost made it uncompetitive compared to the free Superchargers.
Tesla is committed to its Supercharger network, but the battery swap program is stalling [Pilot Station Gallery]

Model S is not cab rearword design. Pushing occupants towards front bumper increasing chance of injury. Cab forward design is not a revolutionary concept. My sisters 93 Chrysler Concorde had it.

Like I said. Modules under console. Remove modules under feet of rear passengers.

Did they make it a third of the size of Tesla's or smaller? If not added space is marginal.

The structure of the car is built to accommodate those executive seats resulting in a smaller trunk. I guess "decent" is subjective but Air will have much less space for rear storage than Model S 1.0. In reality Lucid Air will have to compete with Model S 2.0.

You don't have evidence that cab forward design will likely cause more injury. Also, I never said cab forward design is new, just that Lucid is using it.

You obviously have not seen the Air in person and you don't know much about it. There are two structures, one for bench seat and another for executive seat. The structure with bench seat has a regular sized trunk comparable to Model S. If you haul lots of stuff regularly, then choose the bench seat. If you want more comfort for rear passengers and is ok with reduced trunk size, then choose the executive seat.

Everything comes at a cost. The Model S has oodles of trunk space. I guarantee that the Lucid Air does not.

Quite possibly it's because of all the interior space that it's called Air... I'll get a chance to ride in it at tomorrow's events...

Hopefully some who went on Saturday evening can give their thoughts...

I thought the suspension was very smooth. It would be interesting to drive an air suspension TESLA over the same course, back to back, with the Lucid Air.

I didn't find the interior much larger for the front seats. The rear seats still lack leg room in the recline position (I'm 6'2" / 183cm tall).

I would not want a car without a Supercharger like experience; that will be a HUGE challenge for Lucid. They seem to want to rely on public charging, fighting with a Plug-In Prius or a LEAF for a broken public charger.

IMG_6293.JPG
IMG_6291.JPG
IMG_6299.JPG

Dual motor...

The front motors are smaller than the rear ones.

Front are equivalent to 400 HP and the rear are equivalent to 600 HP.

No, this is on the rear axle.

There is another smaller one on the front axle. Don't have pic on that one.
Did it look to be about the same size as Tesla's rear motor? Poor assumption that the front is physically larger too?