Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid Battery Pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would recommend watching this video: "Lucid has a modular battery pack, Aptera should too"

I noticed in particular the interesting connection setting (See at 11:20 in the video)

Lucid Battery .jpg

Lucid's CEO gives a pretty good look at Lucid's battery pack. Stick with it, the new info is good.

Extremely fascinating. Up until now, I was only aware of Tesla style side cooling of cylindrical cells. Compared to edge cooling flat cells, Tesla is vastly superior (see GM recalling all its battery packs, and Ford struggling to get theirs working right).

But with Lucid's end cooling of cylindrical cells, combined with higher voltage in the pack, for reduced current, and optimized connector gauges, the cooling demand appears to be lower, and seems to become feasible.

The one configuration I've still not seen anywhere is side cooling of flat cells (liquid channel between cells, not just solid fins, like GM, Ford, and others). No idea why no one has gone this route. Yes, it's lower density, but much easier to control temperature gradients within cells.

I still have questions about the long term health of the cells, but if Lucid is right, and has actually balanced the trade offs correctly, it could be robust enough for long life. Long life is the best way to reduce carbon impact, so it's critical.

I believe Tesla is going toward end cooling of cells? I think Rivian does end cooling too. Bear in mind that only Tesla, Rivian and Lucid uses these small cylindrical cells. Everyone else uses pouch which is quite different.