Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid Releases Video Foreshadowing Air's Crazy 1/4-Mile Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand the negativity. The more EVs on the market the better! The Lucid Air will be a true luxury EV.

The traditional automakers' EVs, many of them, have been disappointments. And of the first wave of EV startups (Think, Zap, Coda, Wheego, Aptera, Fisker) all but Tesla failed. So there's a lot of historical reason to be skeptical of non-Tesla EVs.

But there's a huge difference between an early EV startup like Wheego and current startups like Lucid and Rivian. The failures of 2nd rate operators like Zap and Coda tell you nothing about Rivian's prospects. That Aptera was vaporware doesn't mean Lucid is vaporware. Keep an open mind and don't dismiss all non-Tesla EVs out of hand.

Reactions: ICUDoc
The Lucid wasn't production weight. You can see it in the video. There is no frunk, no door panels, no air bag, no rear window deck and possible more so who knows how much weight was reduced. Every 100 lb. weight reduction equals a tenth reduction in the 1/4 mile. The 144 mph shows the horsepower which is awesome for a 4 door car.
Lucid 1 (2).png
Lucid 2 (2).png
Lucid 3 (2).png
Lucid 4 (2).png

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
Still feels like all these other EV companies, particularly those that are starting as EV companies and not like a Bolt or ID.3/4, will suffer from lack of charging infrastructure, ultimately. Having a nice car is great and all, but having to rely on EA and all third-party chargers will suck unless they find a way to become reliable. Seems unlikely.
Is that going even to matter with a 500+ mile range? I could drive from San Diego to LA and back and still have 50% range left over.

The Lucid wasn't production weight. You can see it in the video. There is no frunk, no door panels, no air bag, no rear window deck and possible more so who knows how much weight was reduced. Every 100 lb. weight reduction equals a tenth reduction in the 1/4 mile. The 144 mph shows the horsepower which is awesome for a 4 door car.View attachment 583850 View attachment 583851 View attachment 583852 View attachment 583853
Hmm, that thing looks totally stripped. Look at the race wheel, they're getting pretty serious with the strippage.

I'd really like to see a production Dream run some numbers. These track prepped numbers are apples to oranges.

Reactions: Gixx1300R
80% of charging is done at home. It’s not a significant problem now, let alone in the future as batteries improve and charging continues to get built.

Your narrative is even weaker than what ICE lovers used against Tesla back when I bought my first S. Not even 200 miles of real range, not many SuperChargers, and yet not an issue for the vast majority of car utilization.
i get this...tesla has a great infastructure...i am suprised no other company uses teslas same charging tech(paying tesla to use it) so they can use teslas network? Lucid/porsche/ audi...dont have networks..but yea most drive 200 miles a day max total if even that and charge at home .

Reactions: Brando
i get this...tesla has a great infastructure...i am suprised no other company uses teslas same charging tech(paying tesla to use it) so they can use teslas network? Lucid/porsche/ audi...dont have networks..but yea most drive 200 miles a day max total if even that and charge at home .
Tesla will open access to their network eventually. They'll have to to get access to the renewal of subsidies.

§ 155. Electric vehicle charging stations
“(a) In General.—Any electric vehicle charging infrastructure funded under this title shall be subject to the requirements of this section.
“(b) Interoperability.—An electric vehicle charging station funded under this title shall—
“(1) provide a charging connector type or means to transmit electricity to vehicles that meets applicable industry accepted practices and safety standards; and
“(2) have the ability to serve vehicles produced by more than one vehicle manufacturer.

I’m happy that Lucid isn’t vaporware like so many other EV startups. They seem to have some truly novel engineering and unlike many others aren’t just cramming in a huge battery to overcome inefficiency.

What the market is for an additional $100k EV sedan from an unknown company is another matter. In any event I hope they succeed.

Reactions: kavyboy
I’m happy that Lucid isn’t vaporware like so many other EV startups. They seem to have some truly novel engineering and unlike many others aren’t just cramming in a huge battery to overcome inefficiency.

What the market is for an additional $100k EV sedan from an unknown company is another matter. In any event I hope they succeed.
that lucid looks cool like the porsche ev ..Glad to see these coming..but the prices are just too high- tesla will become the chevy of ev's soon

Dude, seriously? You could drive from LA to San Fran in a straight shot. Not even many ICE cars can do this let alone an EV. The massive range reduces it's dependance on charging networks, the end.
And then where will you recharge when you get to San Fran? I've been holding off driving to see my mom outside of Philly because there's nowhere to charge near her. But Tesla is building a supercharger station about 2 miles away from her retirement community, so I can finally stop flying. Same with the beach and the mountains - we take our ICE SUV because there's nowhere to charge unless we rent a house that allows us to plug in.