Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Lucid Says 2021 Sedan Will Pack 500 Miles of Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lucid Motors announced Wednesday that it’s upcoming sedan will be powered by a 113 kWh battery pack capable of an estimated EPA range of up to 517 miles.

The company says it’s able to achieve the industry’s best range through its “Lucid Space Concept” design, which “capitalizes upon the miniaturization of Lucid’s in-house developed EV drivetrain and battery pack to optimize interior cabin space within Lucid Air’s relatively compact exterior footprint.”

“It’s relatively easy to achieve more range by adding progressively more batteries, but gaining ‘dumb range’ that way increases weight and cost, and reduces interior space,” Peter Rawlinson, CEO and CTO, Lucid Motors, said in a release. “Lucid Air has achieved its remarkable range whilst also reducing battery size through its in-house technology, resulting in a breakthrough in overall vehicle-level efficiency.”

Rawlinson added that the breakthrough is “not merely just a few percent; we are talking about a significant improvement.”

The production version of the Lucid Air will debut on September 9. In addition to the vehicle’s final interior and exterior designs, new details about production specifications, available configurations, and pricing information will also be shared, the company said.

Production is expected to start at Lucid’s factory in Casa Grande, Arizona  in early 2021.

Last edited by a moderator:
I googled and these are impressive numbers. I certainly don't get a full 300 miles out of my Model 3 at highway speeds. https://www.motortrend.com/cars/lucid/air/2021/2021-lucid-air-first-ride-review-range-test/
I’m intrigued with this “Mega Air” track focused Lucid they can’t share. Sounds a bit like the Plaid S.

“Next car? Yep—and, wow, do I wish I could give more details about this one. But let's just call it Lucid's "track-development" car and let your imagination chew on that for a few weeks. Here, again, we experience the same premature braking, earlier than I'm accustomed to in lighter, piston-powered cars, followed by the same mild understeer. But if I called the acceleration of the normal Air a cannon blast, this one's on afterburner; on the second lap, I expect to see the tarmac after apexes bunched up like a throw carpet after your greyhound sees a rabbit through the window. Getting out, I'm staggering a step forward and then a step backward, tipsy on longitudinal g's. I am told the car's impressive lap time but am sworn to secrecy”

Lucid is good at releasing press statements. Better than they are at making cars, that's for sure.

To clarify here: I'm pretty skeptical as there are some good examples of how badly things can go in this electric vehicle industry. Two main ones are Faraday Futures who employed around 1k (I think similar in size as to what Lucid Air is at right now) and Fisker Automative who actually shipped cars shortly before going bankrupt. Seems like the big thing to do these days is hype it all up in order to get more rounds of funding before actually going to market. I'll actually have real interest once cars are available to automative journalists for proper review. Until then it's nothing more than vaporware, I wouldn't bother waiting/saving/anticipating in the meantime.

Last edited:
Elon made the offer to everyone.

Sounds like he offered to open it up if they paid. Not sure what the terms are but at the very least to help cover the cost of building (which if that's all, isn't a terrible deal).

Tesla might let other companies use its Supercharger network

Article is a couple of years old, not sure if Elon has changed his mind or not. Would require the car manufacturer to not only design an adapter but also integrate billing with/through Tesla

I agree with the spirit of what you are saying but dislike these kind of claims because they are not a report on a new EV option as as much as they are an attempt to slow Tesla down with fanciful claims. I (as I think Elon would) am cheering for anyone who can make better sustainable transportation but I don't think these claims contribute to that end.

Wow Lucid, Fisker, Byton, etc - Elon can hardly sleep at night with worry.

For those not aware, of the entwined history with Tesla. Hard to argue , he does not have any credibility

"Peter Rawlinson

Peter Rawlinson is a British engineer based in California. He is the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Technology Officer of Lucid Motors and is known for his work as Chief Engineer on the Tesla Model S and the Lucid Air."

Lucid CEO confirms SUV, considers pickup, says “absolutely not” to contract manufacturing

I'm more impressed by this car all the time. I hope they manage to stay solvent through these tough initial years. The EV world need more good car options.

Has a price been announced yet?

Starts at $60,000 for the lower range 315 mile version. I read somewhere that the 517 mile version will be over $100k.

Does lucid come to your house and update your HW2 to HW3 for free by an awesome friendly knowledgable repairman who answered every question?

A better question to ask: Will Lucid deliver inadequate hardware for a feature promised years ago, for which Tesla has been collecting exorbitant fees, yet not yet delivered?

Does the CEO of Lucid reply to your tweets directly?

Has any CEO replied to your tweets directly or are you talking about someone else? How is this even important?

Is lucid as dependable and reliable as a Tesla?

Now I know you're joking... lol

Does Lucid have a supercharger network?

Does Tesla have a CSS network in the US?

Does Lucid have over the air updates?

Yes, and I'll bet Lucid doesn't remove functionality from the car or gimp the batteries/range/performance (#chargegate #batterygate)

All these questions have the answer of NO.

Clearly not.

So when Lucid is better then tesla I may give a damn what range their cars might go.

It doesn't take much to be "better" than Tesla in a majority of metrics that matter to the majority of car buyers.

Lucid is good at releasing press statements. Better than they are at making cars, that's for sure.

To clarify here: I'm pretty skeptical as there are some good examples of how badly things can go in this electric vehicle industry. Two main ones are Faraday Futures who employed around 1k (I think similar in size as to what Lucid Air is at right now)
FF never had a factory. Lucid has a factory and is already pumping out a ton of test cars here in Arizona. They have momentum. They are also not led by incompetent Chinese investors with more money than brains.

I am very interested in Lucid, unfortunately I am not interested in becoming another beta tester for an upstart EV manufacturer. I had enough of that with Tesla.

Whose making batteries for Lucid?
I believe it's LG Chem.

Starts at $60,000 for the lower range 315 mile version. I read somewhere that the 517 mile version will be over $100k.

A better question to ask: Will Lucid deliver inadequate hardware for a feature promised years ago, for which Tesla has been collecting exorbitant fees, yet not yet delivered?

Has any CEO replied to your tweets directly or are you talking about someone else? How is this even important?

Now I know you're joking... lol

Does Tesla have a CSS network in the US?

Yes, and I'll bet Lucid doesn't remove functionality from the car or gimp the batteries/range/performance (#chargegate #batterygate)

Clearly not.

It doesn't take much to be "better" than Tesla in a majority of metrics that matter to the majority of car buyers.
Do you even own a Tesla?

Wow! The current Model S has a 100kwh battery, correct? If the numbers hold up, and I agree that's currently a non-trivial "if", then that's higher efficiency than a Model S. A pretty significantly higher efficiency as well. Seems to be roughly the same difference between Tesla and legacy car makers efficiency.

• Funny
Reactions: qdeathstar