Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid tri-motor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The battle of tri-motor supremacy will be interesting. Will the Lucid tri-motor really be be a second faster in the 1/4 mile? How much more will it cost over the Plaid?

Tri-Motor Lucid Air Capable Of 9.3-Second Quarter Mile

I hope Tesla reveals details on the Model S Plaid on Battery Day. It seems like it’s been rumored for awhile. They’ll have a lot of price to work with to be considered a good value over the top Porsche and Lucid models

These EV-Tech companies are incredible. I can’t imagine what we’ll be driving in 10 years.

Lucid Fraud - Is Lucid Air Vaporware? - Reaction

from Floridian Warren Redlich
This is standard projection by Redlich.

Redlich isn’t a reputable source as he’s not constrained by honesty or logic. His videos are great examples of stretching the truth, and generally make the reveal a textbook of facts in comparison.

Many of his “show me” criticisms have already been shown in testing and to members of reputable media outlets and channels. The rest are largely fallacious hit pieces common to a clickbait channel. He’s the opposite of “Tesla Killer”, which perhaps at one point was an unpleasant positive, but now is just pathetic prejudice.

Last edited:
This is standard projection by Redlich.

Redlich isn’t a reputable source as he’s not constrained by honesty or logic. His videos are great examples of stretching the truth, and generally make the reveal a textbook of facts in comparison.

Many of his “show me” criticisms have already been shown in testing and to members of reputable media outlets and channels. The rest are largely fallacious hit pieces common to a clickbait channel. He’s the opposite of “Tesla Killer”, which perhaps at one point was an unpleasant positive, but now is just pathetic prejudice.
can't counter his thoughts/perspectives so attack him
Don't watch/listen to his questions/thoughts - might harm you some how.
I don't find Lucid a reputable source at this point - 7 years and no factory yet ??
testing?? what testing? ride taken by Motor Trend writer? in a prototype?
Even Lucid admits Engineering Prototypes not yet built and then Validation Prototypes need to be built. Engineering projections are fine. The assumptions used ? how would I know?

I don't find Lucid a reputable source at this point - 7 years and no factory yet ??
Even Lucid admits Engineering Prototypes not yet built and then Validation Prototypes need to be built. Engineering projections are fine. The assumptions used ? how would I know?
I didn't watch the video, but everything you list above was said by Tesla in 2011. Tesla was founded in 2003. First MS's rolled off the line in 2012. 9 years without a factory! Must be a scam! And Tesla took over an existing car factory. Lucid is building from scratch.

Nikola is a scam. Lucid is real. Of course, whether they can execute and survive is another thing, but they aren't a scam.

I didn't watch the video,
At least you admit you don't know what you are commenting on.

but everything you list above was said by Tesla in 2011. Tesla was founded in 2003. First MS's rolled off the line in 2012. 9 years without a factory! Must be a scam! And Tesla took over an existing car factory. Lucid is building from scratch.
Tesla Motors started 2003 and Elon major investor and became 4th or 5th CEO.
Roadster started in 2008 and 4 years later by 2012 they had built ~2400 Roadsters.
Bought Fremont Factory from Toyota (2010) and started 1st Model S in 2011 (NOT 2012) (built ~ 1500 that year) - and in 2012 Motor Trend named car of the year.
Tesla Fremont Factory - Wikipedia
Nikola is a scam. Lucid is real. Of course, whether they can execute and survive is another thing, but they aren't a scam.
I agree about Nikola. We shall see how Lucid plays out - very deep pockets from middle east.
So far not much to show for 7 years. Would have been very interesting to see the making of the motor drive train - if true it will be by far the most power dense motor/gearbox in the industry.

You could try a few google searches to keep your facts closer to the truth.

• Funny
Reactions: BlindPass
I didn’t attack him personally, I pointed out that he’s not an authority and the video reliant on fallacies. As it was said, his video offers little in research. I did watch his video, and consistent with many of his other productions, he’s more promotional fluff than Lucid‘s reveal.

Lol, “7 years and no factory”. That’s not a valid criticism. 4 years or 7, all that matters is that they have funding with deep pockets and a factory nearing completion. I wouldn’t expect a company that started out as a battery pack developer to have a car manufacturing facility as quickly, but I do suspect they’ll benefit from not being hasty and retrofitting an existing one like Fremont.

3rd party people have been “shown”, so his complaints of “show me” fall short. As Rawlinson admitted, production is needed, but that’s more a rebuttal to whether they can be a mass market EV company, not whether they can build the the best EVs. They’re first targeting a segment that could be nearly met by hand building prototypes, as Tesla effectively operated for many years.

Reactions: teslasuperfan
@BlindPass, @strider it is a waste of time trying to be reasonable and logical with Tesla fanbois.

It is perfectly ok to be skeptical about a new company making claims. Even Peter Rawlinson said that Lucid is nothing until they mass produced something.
But to make blind accusation that Lucid is a fraud without any evidence is just wrong.

Pro Tip. If you want to see real fraud, look up Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos. Ironically, Lucid is occupying the office where Theranos once was in Newark CA.

@BlindPass, @strider it is a waste of time trying to be reasonable and logical with Tesla fanbois.

It is perfectly ok to be skeptical about a new company making claims. Even Peter Rawlinson said that Lucid is nothing until they mass produced something.
But to make blind accusation that Lucid is a fraud without any evidence is just wrong.

Pro Tip. If you want to see real fraud, look up Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos. Ironically, Lucid is occupying the office where Theranos once was in Newark CA.
Right. Nothing about Lucid suggests fraud. They have performance EV DNA, are led by many with a track record of experience in the industry, they’re not doing an SPAC, etc.

That video is just another fairytale by Warren. My retirement appreciates the fervor channels like his helped create, but he’d be one of the last sources to have genuine criticism of Lucid.

Right. Nothing about Lucid suggests fraud. They have performance EV DNA, are led by many with a track record of experience in the industry, they’re not doing an SPAC, etc.

That video is just another fairytale by Warren. My retirement appreciates the fervor channels like his helped create, but he’d be one of the last sources to have genuine criticism of Lucid.

SPAC IPO is a backdoor shortcut for those that do not have funding and little or no IPs, eg. Fisker, Nikola, Lordstown, Canoo....

Rivian and Lucid need to resist SPAC funding.

SPAC IPO is a backdoor shortcut for those that do not have funding and little or no IPs, eg. Fisker, Nikola, Lordstown, Canoo....

Rivian and Lucid need to resist SPAC funding.
They have no need to go that route, as there’s a lot of smart money willing to back them. They don’t need to stoke FOMO flames via SPAC. Which is why the “show-me or you’re a fraud angle” is comical coming from Redlich. The fraud is the YouTube clickbait provocateur needing hits, whereas Lucid is targeting the very few that can afford a luxury EV.

Tesla Motors started 2003 and Elon major investor and became 4th or 5th CEO.
Roadster started in 2008 and 4 years later by 2012 they had built ~2400 Roadsters.
Bought Fremont Factory from Toyota (2010) and started 1st Model S in 2011 (NOT 2012) (built ~ 1500 that year) - and in 2012 Motor Trend named car of the year.
Tesla Fremont Factory - Wikipedia
Tesla didn't BUILD the Roadsters (Lotus did) so they don't count. Look at my sig below. I bought one brand new in 2010. I speak with firsthand knowledge, unlike you.

I can share pictures of them being unloaded at SFO from the belly of UA 777s as fully assembled rolling chassis. All Tesla did was drop in a motor and battery pack. The Model S is the first car that they BUILT. But they did gain powertrain experience from the Roadsters. Similar to Lucid gaining powertrain experience from Formula e.

Further, please show me where Tesla was delivering Model S in 2011. This thread will be helpful: Model S Delivery Update

It shows Founders cars being prepped for delivery in July, 2012. I picked up Model S #1459 (non Sig) in December, 2012.

I agree about Nikola. We shall see how Lucid plays out - very deep pockets from middle east.
So far not much to show for 7 years. Would have been very interesting to see the making of the motor drive train - if true it will be by far the most power dense motor/gearbox in the industry.

You could try a few google searches to keep your facts closer to the truth.
Again, after 8 years, all Tesla had to show (that they had built) was a powertrain for the Roadsters and a couple prototype Model S. That's the same thing that Lucid has shown in their time.

I guess I don't understand the point of your post. I only made it about 5 minutes into the video. It was all about the presenter's "feels" about whether someone is BSing or not. It's a product launch. The whole point is to talk about how great the product is. To talk about how they're going to change the world, yadda, yadda.

Finally, I don't need Google searches. I have literally lived a good portion of Tesla's history. You are the one relying on Google and Wikipedia for your "facts."

Last edited:
Reactions: BlindPass
Here is a more genuine YouTube (although I find him to still be Tesla centric) on the likely back-and-fourth we’ll see from Lucid and Tesla.

One thing I think he left out is Lucid likely sandbagging the dual motor Air Dream performance specs. I anticipate Tesla to release an improved dual motor S that’s close to the Air and a Plaid that beats it. Then Lucid to come out with the rumored tri-motor. At some point it’ll be more about traction, in which Tesla has been working on with the Roadster 2.0. It seems natural Lucid would have a smaller 2-door car too, but with a SUV already planned, that may be too much too soon.

Atieva was a battery startup founded by some ex-Tesla engineers back in 2007. Atieva shipped a bunch of battery systems, but I wouldn't say they were ever really successful.

The EV world was a different place back in 2012-2013. The Tesla Model S was a success, but the Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt weren't, and there was a big batch of EV programs that got cancelled at the big automakers. BMW gutted their EV program. Nissan cancelled all future EVs aside from the Leaf. GM cancelled their lineup of PHEV SUVs. Atieva's original business plan to sell batteries to automaker OEMs went kaput.

It's pretty common in Silicon Valley for one startup to just morph into another startup, especially if the original startup was a technical success but not a market success. Lucid was started out of Atieva in 2013 when they recruited another batch of ex-Tesla engineers and redirected to being an EV maker.

Back in 2013, Silicon Valley VCs still had a hangover from the failure of a lot of early greentech startups like Fisker and Solyndra. When Atieva came looking for funding for a car project, they got turned down. So they got funding from Chinese and Saudi sources instead. That's less than ideal, which is part of why Lucid wants to do a relatively early IPO. (Tesla faced a similar situation, and similarly went IPO way earlier than normal.) Atieva/Lucid has a history of ups and downs almost as dramatic as the early days of Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Maryland
Tesla didn't BUILD the Roadsters (Lotus did) so they don't count. Look at my sig below. I bought one brand new in 2010. I speak with firsthand knowledge, unlike you.

I can share pictures of them being unloaded at SFO from the belly of UA 777s as fully assembled rolling chassis. All Tesla did was drop in a motor and battery pack. The Model S is the first car that they BUILT. But they did gain powertrain experience from the Roadsters. Similar to Lucid gaining powertrain experience from Formula e.

Further, please show me where Tesla was delivering Model S in 2011. This thread will be helpful: Model S Delivery Update

It shows Founders cars being prepped for delivery in July, 2012. I picked up Model S #1459 (non Sig) in December, 2012.

Again, after 8 years, all Tesla had to show (that they had built) was a powertrain for the Roadsters and a couple prototype Model S. That's the same thing that Lucid has shown in their time.

I guess I don't understand the point of your post. I only made it about 5 minutes into the video. It was all about the presenter's "feels" about whether someone is BSing or not. It's a product launch. The whole point is to talk about how great the product is. To talk about how they're going to change the world, yadda, yadda.

Finally, I don't need Google searches. I have literally lived a good portion of Tesla's history. You are the one relying on Google and Wikipedia for your "facts."
I stand corrected - 2012 WAS the first deliveries - my mistake.

Lucid supplied (perhaps still does) battery packs - I haven't seen any mention of motors. We shall have to see how it all turns out once they start to actually deliver. If true they have mid east money as investors they will save a lot of time not having to raise money.

Thank you for being an early adopter and getting Tesla going. It would not have happened without people like you. thanks.

I think Tesla did more, started with less - but just my opinion and who really cares. I hope Lucid makes a go of it. I thought the same about Fisker who I guess is still trying. Autos are complex, lots of competition and many new EVs coming (even 3 wheelers). Interesting time to watch what happens.

Sorry to have wasted your time - You see glass half full, I see half empty and next summer many things will be starting.

(I watch CleanerWatt, also. Considering where Tesla stock and production is at, no real need to defend them any longer. Maybe I can remember that and not get triggered so easily.)

Reactions: strider