Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid unveils advanced driver assist features to compete with Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
>> The experts who are assigned the task of solving it, say that this is how you solve it.

How/where can I check previous work of these experts to get some baseline for trusting their projections?

They are shooting for L3, how good is their L2?
How does their L2 compare with L2 from some other groups of experts that don't share their take on L3?

Reactions: J1mbo
>> The experts who are assigned the task of solving it, say that this is how you solve it.

How/where can I check previous work of these experts to get some baseline for trusting their projections?

They are shooting for L3, how good is their L2?
How does their L2 compare with L2 from some other groups of experts that don't share their take on L3?

When I say "experts" I am talking in general about the various companies who have autonomous driving prototypes like Waymo, Cruise, and Mobileye. You can easily check their work to see how they have solved these problems.

Obviously, we need to wait to get more details before we can say specifically how good Lucid's L2 or L3 will be.

When I say "experts" I am talking in general about the various companies who have autonomous driving prototypes like Waymo, Cruise, and Mobileye. You can easily check their work to see how they have solved these problems.

So, nothing much beyond words and powerpoint slides. I thought so.
Seeing what tesla did with mobileye chip I know who to count on.
And that ain't those talkative experts...

Reactions: mikes_fsd
So, nothing much beyond words and powerpoint slides. I thought so.
Seeing what tesla did with mobileye chip I know who to count on.
And that ain't those talkative experts...

No! I am not talking about words and powerpoint slides. Waymo, Cruise and Mobileye have real autonomous driving. I am talking about the real autonomous driving that they have on public roads today that prove that they have solved these problems of detecting stopped vehicles.

So you trust Tesla because they did AP1 using the mobileye chip? I would remind you that Lucid is using the more advanced mobileye chip. So if you like Tesla when they used the mobileye chip, you should like Lucid using the most advanced mobileye chip.

Wait. We are talking about Waymo now? I thought we were talking about Lucid. Lucid does not have a sensor dome on the roof.

I didn't mention Waymo. I was talking about 360 cameras. You previously mentioned using 1 camera to reduce complexity. Here it is.

Omnidirectional_camera_numbered.PNG

And if you just have one sensor and it does not see an object, you will hit something. How is that safer?

You were the one suggesting 1 camera to reduce complexity.

I'll gladly take some phantom braking over crashing into stopped vehicles. So yes, if it means that it does not crash head long into stopped vehicles, I think it makes it safer.

OK. So, you would prefer to be an attentive driver at risk of being hit by another car due to your car making erratic and unpredictable manoeuvres, than be an inattentive driver at risk of smashing headlong into something? I would prefer not have to worry about either scenario personally.

Let's hope Lucid is able to deliver a solid, reliable system to paying customers all over the world that sets the bar for the whole automotive industry.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
I didn't mention Waymo. I was talking about 360 cameras. You previously mentioned using 1 camera to reduce complexity. Here it is.

You mentioned sensor pods on the roof out of the blue so I thought you were referring to Waymo.

You were the one suggesting 1 camera to reduce complexity.

Yes, I was taking the argument that less sensors is better to its extreme to show how absurd it is.

OK. So, you would prefer to be an attentive driver at risk of being hit by another car due to your car making erratic and unpredictable manoeuvres, than be an inattentive driver at risk of smashing headlong into something? I would prefer not have to worry about either scenario personally.

It's not either/or. Put the right sensors, including lidar, and get the software right, and you won't have to worry about either case. After all, the goal should be a car that does not phantom brake and does not hit stuff regardless of whether the driver is attentive or not.

Let's hope Lucid is able to deliver a solid, reliable system to paying customers all over the world that sets the bar for the whole automotive industry.

Yes, I hope Lucid is able to deliver a solid and reliable system. I do think it is silly to jump to conclusions that Lucid won't deliver a reliable system just because you think their lidar is superfluous.

Yes, I hope Lucid is able to deliver a solid and reliable system. I do think it is silly to jump to conclusions that Lucid won't deliver a reliable system just because you think their lidar is superfluous.

I think lidar is a necessary crutch to get the industry off the ground. Never said it was superfluous. I also think that the Lucid sensor suite is overkill and, like the Audi + Supercruise systems, I think that the Lucid system may never be capable of generalised L3 despite all that hardware.

I think lidar is a necessary crutch to get the industry off the ground. Never said it was superfluous. I also think that the Lucid sensor suite is overkill and, like the Audi + Supercruise systems, I think that the Lucid system may never be capable of generalised L3 despite all that hardware.

Well, we shall see. I look forward to seeing some videos of the system in action soon to see for myself.

Which FSD computer is Lucid using? I'm assuming EyeQ5?

Most likely 1x EyeQ5 but i won't be surprised if they went with 2x EyeQ4

Completly wrong about the radar in 2017 Tesla changed the radar is not Bosh anymore....And the new radar have more power distance

Nope Tesla uses both MRR (AP2.0) and ARS410 (AP2.5+). These are 4th gen radars from 2010 with inadequate low resolution, low fov, low range, less accuracy, etc.

For example here is a fifth gen radar from Continental: ARS540 - "300 meter range, higher resolution, detect smaller objects on the surface, like lost tire or a fallen exhaust pipe, height of objects, bridge or road boundaries such as curbs"

• Informative
Reactions: diplomat33