Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous audio system in a 2016 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
Over the years I’ve been involved on a number of threads discussing aftermarket audio systems in the Model S. On my first two S’s (I’m on my third – yes, I have a problem, I freely admit it) I went with Reus audio, and Cliff Johnson. Cliff is a great guy, but he lives in California, which is really inconvenient for me as I live in Virginia outside of DC. I was also thinking I wanted a bit more out of the system on my third attempt, and Reus only offers a few, standardized options. I wasn’t thinking Ludicrous, but perhaps Insane. I ended up with Ludicrous :eek:

As luck would have it, a friend shared a video of a Ludicrous system in a S P100D, and the installer (Matt Schaeffer) was in the DC metro area. Installer really doesn’t really do him justice. Artist is a better noun. I ended up at his shop, and spent a few hours going over the options. Just like Tesla I ended up spending more than I had planned, but I am rather happy with the results. The only negative was, just like Tesla, I had to wait a few months! Matt won installer of the year in 2016, and since then he has been in high demand. We started talking in May, and my appointment was in September!

The results:

DSC_7534.jpg

DSC_8018.jpg

DSC_8108.jpg

DSC_8030.jpg

Matt put together a video to describing all the details of my install. I’m happy to answer any questions, here or by PM, but I highly recommend you start with the video as it is quite detailed and has many more pictures. As many of you know I’m quite active on TMC, the official Tesla Club for the mid-Atlantic, Tesla Road Trip, as well as some of the less formal DC area social groups, so if you’re in the area and what a demo, just let me know. Happy to do it. Just like Tesla, though, don’t listen to it unless you’re ready to buy :cool:

Oh - I'm also an amateur radio (ham) operator, so you'll have to ignore the two-way radio and the antennas. That wasn't Matt's doing. That's all me.

Andrew

• Love
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Andrew your are a boss now! Congrats. Excellent system.

For the community. I hear you are in the $20k - $30k + price range depending on if you want your system tame, insane, or ludicrous. I've actually seen and heard the first ludicrous system by Matt in the link and one featured by photo only in the current video. It would be nice to actually hear something in the video even though it would not be of good sound quality...hence sound system ....to make my iPad shake:)

Last edited:
Congrats! The system looks beautiful. I would obviously love a demo at the next Dc area meet or even before.

What is your view on the amas 2 vs tesla Bluetooth.

I normally use Tesla USB input still, but could add amas 2 to.my dsp

For iPhone with AAC decoding does it make a difference or is it more for the astell dac player aptx decoding that Tesla doesn't have?

Congrats! The system looks beautiful. I would obviously love a demo at the next Dc area meet or even before.

What is your view on the amas 2 vs tesla Bluetooth.

I normally use Tesla USB input still, but could add amas 2 to.my dsp

For iPhone with AAC decoding does it make a difference or is it more for the astell dac player aptx decoding that Tesla doesn't have?

I opted for the AMAS2 primarily to use with the high-res player, but my iPhone does sound better through it vs the Tesla. This likely has more to do with the way the Tesla system is wired to the DSP vs the AMAS being a better BT receiver. You can pair an iPhone to both amas and the phone at the same time.

I was just looking at the galaxy s8 as it supports AptX, but I’m not ready to give up my iPhone, especially since I have a new watch on order.

The speakers are definitely still breaking in. We’re going to do a re-tune in a few weeks to tweak it.

I just went through the iPhone to note 8 this week. It's a learning curve and and I am not sure if I am going forwards or backwards yet.

The iPhone sounds better through factory tesla Bluetooth vs Samsung no doubt.

I think the Samsung through amas aptx would be great.

Also Android Oreo allows you to select AAC Bluetooth instead of current SBC Bluetooth, so when that comes out in a few months then iPhone or Android will be equal through factory but still inferior to amas 2.

As I showed you my helix director presets, and since I like to tinker with things, I ended up getting USB mic to play around with some tuning adjustments as well.

Also new iPhones finally will have flac native like Android has had for years.