Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Easter Egg

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the Model S first shipped its software was even more basic/unfinished than it is now. Couldn't do simple things like add a home address for nav, there was no creep option, no shuffle for media player, no sleep mode (12+ mile/night vampire drain), etc. And there was an easter egg that made me happy (Tap the Tesla T to get to the About Tesla screen, then press and hold the 8 in the P85 or the 6 in the 60 until it goes). Never, in any way, did I think that easter egg took development time away from basic features every other car had. Never even thought about it other than "that's a nice touch." Complaining about easter eggs is unbelievable to me -- they are fun things that make owning the car better, and are fun for the (overworked/stressed) developers to put in. Easter eggs should frustrate no one (that is the opposite of their purpose).

I'm "guilty" of introducing an Easter egg in an enterprise software web app that's now over 10 years old and is still actively used out there. There's this bit of UI that can be used to kick off a relatively long-running job (1-2 minutes) that the user can choose to wait for while looking at a spinner or can put in the background and go away. If waiting, with the right combination of simultaneous key presses (a couple of control keys and another one), it'd launch a popup with a PacMan applet in there! Don't ask how I got that by code reviewers and QA.

It was a fun little thing to put in as a developer. Yes, it definitely helped overcome the drudgery of day-to-day software development work.

Thank you for re-posting the video.

To tell you the truth, as much as I wanted Adaptive Cruise, I hardly use it. The best things I like about my P85D are not the 'me too' features that Mercedes has, but the coolness factors: no centre console, Insane mode (for me), awesome handling, iPhone app, and Easter Eggs. This is not your mothers car company. (No offence to your mother:))