Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Mode for P3D+ only or P3D- inclusive?

Do you think Ludicrous Mode is only for P3D+?

• Yes, it will be only for P3D+ (Performance Upgrade Package)

Votes: 78 51.7%
  • No, it will be for both P3D+ AND P3D- (Including non-Performance Upgrade Package)

Votes: 33 21.9%
  • No, it will be for all P3D AND all AWDs (Non Performance Dual Motors) by future software unlocking

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Ludicrous Mode will NOT exist for Model 3 despite Elon's tweet.

Votes: 35 23.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we now know that track mode is only for P3D+. (as of 8/31/2018)

Based on Elon's twitter, ludicrous mode is likely to happen.

We don't know when but if it comes, do you think it will be exclusive to P3D+ or will include all P3D-.

Let's speculate until the release.

Reactions: MXWing
So we now know that track mode is only for P3D+. (as of 8/31/2018)

Based on Elon's twitter, ludicrous mode is likely to happen.

We don't know when but if it comes, do you think it will be exclusive to P3D+ or will include all P3D-.

Let's speculate until the release.

When was Ludicrous last mentioned? I made a thread mentioning it was about 2 years ago?

I think if Ludicrous were to happen it would depend on the S and X getting faster. You can’t have the mass market cars be quicker than the flagships.

Since it’s straight line acceleration I would think both P+ and P- would have it. Though P- probably has to spec up to P+

But as I detailed extensively in the “track mode” threads, IF Ludicrous comes to 3P.. you would know for certain it would come to 3P+.. and you take your chances with 3P-.

Possible angle is Tesla might charge 5K for 3P+ for the L and 15K for the 3P- to bring it up to spec.

When was Ludicrous last mentioned? I made a thread mentioning it was about 2 years ago?

I think if Ludicrous were to happen it would depend on the S and X getting faster. You can’t have the mass market cars be quicker than the flagships.

Since it’s straight line acceleration I would think both P+ and P- would have it. Though P- probably has to spec up to P+

But as I detailed extensively in the “track mode” threads, IF Ludicrous comes to 3P.. you would know for certain it would come to 3P+.. and you take your chances with 3P-.

Possible angle is Tesla might charge 5K for 3P+ for the L and 15K for the 3P- to bring it up to spec.

I agree it probably won't happen until S&X get a spec bump. That said I think Tesla should just add it as a paid option to both versions of P3D. It makes sense to charge more as it will put more strain on battery and drivetrain which Tesla has a warranty obligation for.

Based on the fact that track mode is exclusive to performance upgrade only, I think Tesla is sending a strong message to customers that they pay the premium if they are going to have buyer's remorse.

But there is also a chance that even 3P+ may not get Ludicrous Mode. If Tesla changes mind and really want to squeeze the new customers' wallet while pissing off all current 3P+ customers, you forgot the scenario in which they can make an option in design studio for Ludicrous Package for extra 5K on top of 3P+. Based on what happened to track mode, which people know it is only software update that 3P- can also get, this is not completely impossible. In business, it makes no sense for Tesla. If this happens, Tesla may just be a troll. :mad:

If that ever happens(although very unlikely imo), we all may name it P3D++ or 3P++?

Hardware wise, the Dual Motor variants all have similar potential. The "Performance" has more burn in than stock AWD and additional tuning to boost it up, and the upgrade package adds track ready parts. Technically all dual motors should be able to benefit from ludicrous mode unlocking.

An interesting observation I had during a mobile service visit is that when the screen was displaying a diagnostic mode, it said under car type: 3 P75D. So maybe adding ludicrous would read "3 P75DL" or "3 P75DL+" if you have the PUP? If unlocked for regular AWD, it would be "3 75DL".

Ludicrous Mode could be marketed as a completely separate feature from Track mode, whereas the former is focused on drag race/straight shot performance and the latter is geared towards the twisties and one pedal driving with aggressive regenerative braking.

If i were to throw numbers out there, I'd price L-mode at $5k as an additional option for Dual Motor Performance (with or without PUP), $15k for regular Dual Motor.

It's not really raining on any parades from the S or X, because by the time you theoretically have a full spec Model 3 Dual Motor Performance with Ludicrous, EAP, and FSD, it's already more than base S or X. I'm sure they would rather sell fully unlocked Model 3s with Dual Motor because everything after base price is software unlocked and money in the bank. Their software essentially costs us the same as their materials, but to them it's just copy and paste and pocket $30k each time. They would make much more profit from a $90k Model 3, than a $90k model S.

Reactions: ppower
I am not betting that we get a ludicrous mode. If we did then the performance package shouldn't be a requirement. The only possible reason might be that the breaks are sturdier (but that's not a good reason).

What if Tesla decides its a good reason?

Anything but 3P+ is taking your chances.

No judgment on whether I agree or disagree - this is just blindfolded risk analysis.

What if Tesla decides its a good reason?

Anything but 3P+ is taking your chances.

No judgment on whether I agree or disagree - this is just blindfolded risk analysis.
They very well might, if only to drive people to buy the package. If I was deadest on ludicrous I wouldn't take the chance (plus you probably want the brakes anyway if you are a speed person).

Reactions: MXWing
I have a P3D. It's crazy fast already - I doubt you could talk me into paying more to trim my 0 - 60 by another 0.5 - 0.7 seconds.

I suspect there will be a time when almost all of the P3D+ parts will be available in the store: the rims/tires are available now, and I see the red calipers, aluminum pedals and carbon fiber spoiler are available for purchase for the Model S - it's not much of a leap to think I could buy those later, if I wanted to, for my P3D.

As for the question posed above: if they insist track mode needs wider tires - and the only way they know that is if it's purchased as a P3D+, then they'll keep it exclusive.

It's safe to assume at this point that anything they offer will only be an upgrade offered to people who paid for the PUP. That means P3D+ only.

Tesla is happy to take the extra $10,000 to turn your AWD into a P3D- but you can apparently just f*** right off if you thought that was enough to be appreciated or cared about, you have to pay the extra $5,000 for PUP before they will care about or appreciate you.

Reactions: Msjulie
After reviewing some of ideas of Track Mode and Tesla's real concern about braking performance, I have
For those who opt for P3D-, if Tesla says no Ludicrous to you guys, will you be done with Tesla? or just mildly offended but move on and still love Tesla?

I've watched multiple videos over the years on how Tesla made questionable decisions. I'll be a bit more than mildly offended, but I'd still love the car I got. Just don't think Tesla can't maintain consistent and logical decisions.

I decided with to stick with P3D- because I don't want to take the range hit (#1 reason), despite really wanting the P3D+ options. So no, I'm not happy but I'm not going to reject my purchase either.

For those who opt for P3D-, if Tesla says no Ludicrous to you guys, will you be done with Tesla? or just mildly offended but move on and still love Tesla?

I wouldn't be upset about missing out on new software features that weren't yet announced when I bought my car as long as there's a technical reason it wouldn't work, not just because I didn't spend a little extra cash on unrelated upgrades.

So say 2019 Performance cars get a new fuse or more durable gear reduction, ect that enables Ludicrous so I miss out with my 2018, totally fine.