Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous mode for P3D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So rumors have it that there is a ludicrous mode in the Model 3 code. If I could gain 0.5 seconds 0-60, I would 100% spend the extra $2K if that was the price. But realistically they are going to make sure that the Model 3 is still a tenth of a second slower than the S. What are some realistic expectations of such a mode and what would motivate Tesla to release the feature, and what would be the price?

I think from looking at the dyno graphs it's very technically feasible that Tesla has more power to add from a stop.

Tesla code hints Model 3 might get 100kWh battery and Ludicrous Mode

I’m with you. I would absolutely spend $2k to get the same, let’s say as the X 2.7. Maybe not call it Ludicrous, because Lud is 20k, or was at one time.
Maybe P3D-+ or P3D++? Obviously that’s stupid, but I’d drop 2k the millisecond the option hits my phone’s Tesla app.

As far as we can tell, the rear inverter is pretty well at it's limit already. The LR RWD and the P3D make the same rear power. So the difference will have to come from the front motor.

It's possible Tesla has enough trust in the inverter now to push it a bit more, which if that is the case, an upgrade could apply to both the RWD and AWD cars. But I don't see it being anything insane on the rear permanent magnet motor.

And adding front power can only get you so far until you run out of grip.

Of course, Tesla are on the leading edge of power electronics and motor design, so I could be entirely wrong and hope that I am!

Well, if they were to offer the “binned motors” (if that is a thing) the same %, I think that would put the P at 2.8s 0-60. Meaning if they truly are binned, then i would like to think that they can handle that additional push. Again, I’d pay 2k for 2.8s. But if there is no true binned motors, then i would think for warranty purposes, if they are pushing them too hard, then it would be higher than $2k to cover their potential warranty costs.

And with only less than 3 years left on my warranty, is it worth it for me for anything over 2k? But this is all silly speculation.

This is a tough one for me. Since the 5% push bringing us (M3P) to 2.998, how much could/would they give us? I'd actually like more on the back end. Sure, I can beat most cars of the line but they soon catch up and pass with top end power. Any chance of getting that or more mid-range power?

The Ludicrous upgrade on the model S was $20K.

You think they are going to offer it for $2K to existing Model 3 owners?!

First off, you would need the 100kW pack, and second it is going to be waaaaaaay more than $2K.

The Ludicrous upgrade on the model S was $20K.

You think they are going to offer it for $2K to existing Model 3 owners?!

First off, you would need the 100kW pack, and second it is going to be waaaaaaay more than $2K.
The X and S also have special rear performance motors, unlike the AWD and P for Model 3 having the same motor. So right, I highly i doubt they can offer a true Traditional Ludicrous for existing P owners. But a Perf AccBoost to 2.8 would be AWESOME, and something I’d drop 2k on so fast it would be considered Ludicrous Apple Pay speed.

• Funny
Reactions: DrtyJrze
Ludicrous is just a name. They can issue a software update to shave a few 10ths of a second anytime they want and call it "Ludicrous."

Why people think ludicrous is some special magic that must cost 20g's is beyond me.

Oh, how many YEARS ago did ludicrous cost 20k? You used to be able to buy it for the P85D for 5k AND it came with an actual iconel hardware upgrade.

Software doesn't require a visit to the shop and new parts.