Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous mode: is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lyon

2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D
Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2011
Eugene, Oregon
Looking to tap into the brain trust on this one. TO ME, $10,000 to shave .6 seconds off an already absurdly quick 0-60 time isn't really worth it. If it's worth it to you, go with it, you'll get no judgement from me.

But if luda gets me significantly better passing acceleration, say the 55-100mph bit, then it starts to make more sense. I drive on a lot of two lane highways with short passing lanes and getting around the RVs is crucial for my sanity.

So, what have we heard about the big L in terms of passing power? Too soon to have gotten reports back from Model S P90D-L folks?

Also, mods, please fix my title typo... it's Friday and I'm a little fried.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone has enough first hand experience to render a verdict yet, but from all the available information it should make a substantial difference in the passing power - the P90DL gets the faster time by extending the same continuous high torque up to a higher speed - which implies a significantly higher power output.

I think it's the same reality as deciding to buy a Ferrari. You don't do it for any other reason than you want it. The Performance X will pass anything on the road just as well. The torque will be there.
I agree, there really is no reason to pay that kind of money to be able to do 0 to 60 in whatever seconds they say it will do. But if you want it to say you have it then you get it.

Looking to tap into the brain trust on this one. TO ME, $10,000 to shave .6 seconds off an already absurdly quick 0-60 time isn't really worth it. If it's worth it to you, go with it, you'll get no judgement from me.

But if luda gets me significantly better passing acceleration, say the 55-100mph bit, then it starts to make more sense. I drive on a lot of two lane highways with short passing lanes and getting around the RVs is crucial for my sanity.

So, what have we heard about the big L in terms of passing power? Too soon to have gotten reports back from Model S P90D-L folks?

Also, mods, please fix my title typo... it's Friday and I'm a little fried.

if i go performance, I'm passing on L. I dont even want to pay 20k for P let alone another 10 for L. Also if you need to prep it before you use it as someone said, it doesn't sound too practical for everyday usage.

"Max Power" is a gimmick, IMO. I could tell my Volt performed better, after some accelerations warmed the battery. Our P85D no different. P90D most likely puts a thermostat on something that has been there the whole time. I added to the local list, today. No updates, AFAIK. Then, again, 20k +10k aren't how I have to look at it.

if i go performance, I'm passing on L. I dont even want to pay 20k for P let alone another 10 for L. Also if you need to prep it before you use it as someone said, it doesn't sound too practical for everyday usage.

Yes, that was another consideration bouncing around in my head. I should probably take my specific questions over to the Model S side and see what experience has been so far.

- - - Updated - - -

On, and thanks for the typo fix.

i was hell bent on getting the best bang for my buck with the p85d, and then the p90dL came out and i though... awww sheeet.
but after doing yet another p85d test drive i am more than happy about what that car can dish out. the 10k would be better used getting a new driveway and garage roof.

then again if i pooped dollar bills i would probably think the opposite.

i was hell bent on getting the best bang for my buck with the p85d, and then the p90dL came out and i though... awww sheeet.
but after doing yet another p85d test drive i am more than happy about what that car can dish out. the 10k would be better used getting a new driveway and garage roof.

then again if i pooped dollar bills i would probably think the opposite.

If you pooped dollar pills people would be lining up to take your ****.

Your point is well taken though. I can buy my winter wheel and tire setup with that money and still have some leftover.

Good grief, are you serious? I have a standard 85 and I can go waaaaay beyond the speed limit in waaaaay too little time on highways. It is completely not even remotely close to being somewhat of a probable item for consideration.

By the way, I have driven a P85D and I am well aware of how insane the acceleration is. But as I say, even a base 85 has oodles of extra power to be able to pass other cars nearly instantly.

Good grief, are you serious? I have a standard 85 and I can go waaaaay beyond the speed limit in waaaaay too little time on highways. It is completely not even remotely close to being somewhat of a probable item for consideration.

By the way, I have driven a P85D and I am well aware of how insane the acceleration is. But as I say, even a base 85 has oodles of extra power to be able to pass other cars nearly instantly.

Oh, I hear you. I've got a P85 and it's pretty similar to yours up in those speeds. I'm always happy to have the ability to get out of the wrong lane quicker though.

I'm surprised no one has me tioned the potential for the inconel contactor and powered fuse to increase drivetrain longevity. That's how I plan on selling it to the CFO anyway. ;-)

Although the differences in reliability are probably very small, I assume the conventional fuse to be the more reliable part. In general, the more complex the design, the less reliable the result; there are more potential failure points. Of course, that assumes no change in redundancy.