Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous mode: is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me personally, I care more about real-life range at 75 mph freeway speeds and 85 mph on I-5 in California.(*)

I understand that Model X P90D and P90DL will have less range than a 90D, just as is the case with the Model S? Does anyone know what the impact is going from Model S 90D to P90D and P90DL at 65-75 mph speeds? I really don't care what the EPA figures are. I checked Tesla's Model S "Range Per Charge" web tool and it's useless to me because the max. speed you can select is 70 mph.

Sure, it's really a thrill to experience Insane Mode (test drove that), and am looking forward to test-driving a Model S P90DL, also. For me personally, as a TSLA investor, I'd rather buy an extra $30K of TSLA at a decent entry point then spend it on an option I don't need in a depreciating asset. It was also one of the reasons I reserved Production online on day one instead of a Signature. It freed-up an extra $35K to invest in TSLA in early 2012, which was an excellent entry point in hindsight. :biggrin:

(*) On the freeway, when traffic permits I drive +10 and use a radar detector. Have never caused an accident in 40 years of driving knock on wood. I've only run into one person skiing too fast during that time, and fortunately, the airline pilot wasn't injured he just fell.

Last edited:
Although the differences in reliability are probably very small, I assume the conventional fuse to be the more reliable part. In general, the more complex the design, the less reliable the result; there are more potential failure points. Of course, that assumes no change in redundancy.

Conventional fuse is a single use device and seems to be a long time trouble spot. It melts when over-current occurs then you'll need to replace it before you can drive the car again. The electronic fuse will just cut off the current and then reset itself and continue to function. Elon said they stumbled onto the "ludicrours fuse" when they were reseaching on million mile drivetrain.

There are speculations that non-ludicrous models are also getting the new fuse. Can't verify if it's true but it makes sense that they will be in the future if not already now.

Last edited:
Conventional fuse is a single use device and seems to be a long time trouble spot. It melts when over-current occurs then you'll need to replace it before you can drive the car again. The electronic fuse will just cut off the current and then reset itself and continue to function. Elon said they stumbled onto the "ludicrours fuse" when they were reseaching on million mile drivetrain.

There are speculations that non-ludicrous models are also getting the new fuse. Can't verify if it's true but it makes sense that they will be in the future if not already now.

The Ludicrous fuse seems to be single use as well.

From The Tesla Model S Just Got Upgraded To LUDICROUS SPEED — Jalopnik:

While working on our goal of making the power train last a million miles, we came up with the idea for an advanced smart fuse for the battery. Instead of a standard fuse that just melts past a certain amperage, which means you aren’t exactly sure when it will or won’t melt or if it will arc when it does, we developed a fuse with its own electronics and a tiny lithium-ion battery. It constantly monitors current at the millisecond level and is pyro-actuated to cut power with extreme precision and certainty.​

To me, "pyro-activated" means some kind of explosive device that blows a link. I doubt that can be reset. The ludicrous fuse will have to be replaced as well before the car can be driven again.

Thermal fuses that melt away are pretty reliable as long as you stay away from the "melt" zone. The monitoring and control needed for the active, pyro-actuated, ludicrous fuse will surely add additional failure points.

ok, so some time has passed since this thread was in the sun. lots of people have gotten their ludicrous mode and are messing around with it. besides the less than advertised nonsense, are owners happy with their cars?

would you do it again if buying tomorrow? what were your previous cars? is the 30-90 speed that much more improved? seems my financial situation has changed and will most likely be ordering L mode...

The Ludicrous fuse seems to be single use as well.

From The Tesla Model S Just Got Upgraded To LUDICROUS SPEED — Jalopnik:
While working on our goal of making the power train last a million miles, we came up with the idea for an advanced smart fuse for the battery. Instead of a standard fuse that just melts past a certain amperage, which means you aren’t exactly sure when it will or won’t melt or if it will arc when it does, we developed a fuse with its own electronics and a tiny lithium-ion battery. It constantly monitors current at the millisecond level and is pyro-actuated to cut power with extreme precision and certainty.​

To me, "pyro-activated" means some kind of explosive device that blows a link. I doubt that can be reset. The ludicrous fuse will have to be replaced as well before the car can be driven again.

Thermal fuses that melt away are pretty reliable as long as you stay away from the "melt" zone. The monitoring and control needed for the active, pyro-actuated, ludicrous fuse will surely add additional failure points.

Using language from Webster:

"Definition of pyr-

Popularity: Bottom 30% of words

• 1 : fire : heat <pyrometer> <pyrheliometer>

• 2 a : produced by or as if by the action of heat <pyroelectricity> b : derived from a corresponding ortho acid by loss usually of one molecule of water from two molecules of acid <pyrophosphoric acid>

• 3 : fever <pyrogenic>"

So, heat can actuate it. That's like almost every fuse in the world. Some change shape and trip open, and others just burn up and open. It's nonspecific, but it could be the reusable case. However, many opening reusable trippers arc and splatter metal, modifying themselves in the process, and thus wear out with tripping.

My present ICE car can do 0-60 in about 6 seconds. That's not even flooring it because I'm concerned it might over-rev in 1st and 2nd gear. I've probably needed that acceleration 20 times in 20 years (it's a Lexus, so it lasts 20+ years). Insane mode is good enough for me. I'd rather spend the extra $10,825 (including CA Sales tax) on more solar panels, a car cover, mats, and a jaunty Tesla cap. Besides, I seldom drive freeways and the speed limits are mostly 50 MPH and lower in the Napa Valley.

My present ICE car can do 0-60 in about 6 seconds. That's not even flooring it because I'm concerned it might over-rev in 1st and 2nd gear. I've probably needed that acceleration 20 times in 20 years (it's a Lexus, so it lasts 20+ years). Insane mode is good enough for me. I'd rather spend the extra $10,825 (including CA Sales tax) on more solar panels, a car cover, mats, and a jaunty Tesla cap. Besides, I seldom drive freeways and the speed limits are mostly 50 MPH and lower in the Napa Valley.
just wondering, if 1) you seldom drive freeways and the speed limits are mostly 50 MPH and lower in the Napa Valley 2) you've probably needed that (0-60 in about 6 seconds) acceleration 20 times in 20 years...why in the world would you have spent the extra money for Insane mode in the first place? I understand why you don't pony up for Ludicrous mode but really don't understand why you purchased Insane mode.

just wondering, if 1) you seldom drive freeways and the speed limits are mostly 50 MPH and lower in the Napa Valley 2) you've probably needed that (0-60 in about 6 seconds) acceleration 20 times in 20 years...why in the world would you have spent the extra money for Insane mode in the first place? I understand why you don't pony up for Ludicrous mode but really don't understand why you purchased Insane mode.
We're talking about Model X here. People are forced to buy the P90D if they are getting a Signature or want faster delivery.

Numbers mean little unless you drag race your car. On the other hand non-P owners who drove a P for the first time usually say they can feel the stronger acceleration the moment they step on the pedal. The question needs to be answered is whether you get the same feeling going from insane to ludicrous. I can't answer the question but my feeling is you do.

True, the SigX is a P90D, and I no choice. But, I wanted the extra performance and features (especially air suspension after researching it heavily on the Tesla Forums), so I would have opted for the Performance package anyway.

P.s.: No tickets in 6 years and I want to keep it that way, although the silent exhibition of speed must be something to behold.

What's up with the conflicting reports by Sig reservation holders? Ken says he has ordered a 90D Sig and here people are saying Sig is only P90D or P90DL. (Ken from TM forums).
Can you provide a better reference? Signature is strictly Performance. If he ordered a 90D, there may be a disconnect somewhere and either he's not a Signature reservation holder or being confused with a different Ken.

That's a very odd exchange. First ken says that the choice between P90D and 90D was one of the only options on the Sig ordering page, but I never saw that option on any screen shot ever.

Three posts later he says that the only options were Ludicrous, towing and subzero and that everything else was standard, which is exactly what I remember from the postings of the Sig order pages.

It sounds like he doesn't understand the nomenclature of 90D, P90D, and P90DL...?

Here's the link to the thread with the screenshots. The order pages are shown in detail in post #2 and post #12. All Sigs are P90D and the only options are Ludicrous (which makes it a P90DL), Subzero, and Towing.

Model X Signature Configuration has begun!

Last edited:
I know for a fact that the initial signature models were all performance models. However, there was an outcry from reservations holders, since it was expected that a non-performance model would have a greater range, and some may prefer range over performance.

It's unclear to me if Tesla quietly provided some Signature holders with a non-performance model, yet officially still maintained that all Signature models are performance. Maybe a signature holder had to type "range" in the design studio to unlock that feature. ;-)

It would be nice to get confirmation one way or another.