Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Mode, or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

Heeft een van de P85D collega's dit al besteld of laten installeren?

Telefoon gekregen deze week dat deze "optie" zo'n 8300 EUR, inc manuren gaat kosten. Toch wel prijzig en meer wat er ooit is aangekondigd, terwijl dat er in feite al reeds had in moet gezeten hebben. Ik heb alvast gemeld dat ik eerst eens wil rijden met een wagen die deze kit heeft. Men ook niet zeggen hoelang deze hardware patch in de aanbieding zou blijven

B

Ik volg het van heel nabij op maar de cijfers die ze vandaag mogen communiceren zijn Ludicrous tov de kostprijs. De eerste upgrades zullen in Fremont gedaan worden en we zullen dan vrij snel over vergelijkend materiaal beschikken. Mij interesseert het enkel als hij 20% sneller naar 250 gaat maar deze cijfers van tijdens de conf call zijn blijkbaar in een zwart gat verdwenen.

Hard to say. I am happy without it because I really don't use the launch capabilities of my car very often.

I hope I completely understood what you were posting!

For us in Europe, and especially the regions close to Germany, high speed performance is much more important than in the US. There's currently no official data available on any improvement in that area. During the conf call, Elon said Ludicrous mode would also improve acceleration to max speed by 20%. This is a serious improvement but the only info that can currently be communicated by Tesla is a 0,2 sec improvement to 60 mph. Insane mode is already plenty fast when doing launches provided you are above 80% SoC. When driving at speeds above 100 mph it's a whole different ball game. It will be difficult for Tesla to compete with the sporty versions of the typical German brands because of this. It can hardly compete with them above 100 mph.

I do agree and oh, how I wish I could drive at those speeds in the US!!!

For us in Europe, and especially the regions close to Germany, high speed performance is much more important than in the US. There's currently no official data available on any improvement in that area. During the conf call, Elon said Ludicrous mode would also improve acceleration to max speed by 20%. This is a serious improvement but the only info that can currently be communicated by Tesla is a 0,2 sec improvement to 60 mph. Insane mode is already plenty fast when doing launches provided you are above 80% SoC. When driving at speeds above 100 mph it's a whole different ball game. It will be difficult for Tesla to compete with the sporty versions of the typical German brands because of this. It can hardly compete with them above 100 mph.

I do agree and oh, how I wish I could drive at those speeds in the US!!!

Next time you get to Europe, just send me a PM and we'll do a short trip to Germany:cool:

- - - Updated - - -

This is the whole point in choosing Ludicrous or not: if it is just the initial punch that improves than it is not worth it. If it improves 20? % over the whole range I think it is worth it...

- - - Updated - - -

Hi

Telefoon gekregen deze week dat deze "optie" zo'n 8300 EUR, inc manuren gaat kosten. Toch wel prijzig en meer wat er ooit is aangekondigd, terwijl dat er in feite al reeds had in moet gezeten hebben. Ik heb alvast gemeld dat ik eerst eens wil rijden met een wagen die deze kit heeft. Men ook niet zeggen hoelang deze hardware patch in de aanbieding zou blijven

B

Although.... when buying the P85D I already expected an extra ..? % performance over my Classic P85 or the alternative 85D (as stated by the topic starter) which seems to be 0% in real life....
And then it would be paying for an improvement we already expected when ordering the P85D....

Conclusion: If it improves performance at higher speeds it is worth it! But... then I would have to overcome the "nagging in my head" that it isn't fair :crying: to have to pay for it....
I have been able to drive the P90D Ludicrous for a short run, and If the first upgraders to P85D Ludi will tell that it is close enough in experience. I would probably go for it.... However....
I decided to go for the Model X and... Older and wiser now :wink: will choose the 90D and exit this whirlpool of choices / emotions :biggrin:.

Eigenlijk moet ik blij zijn dat ik niet op het punt sta een MS te bestellen. Ik zou als stoplichtsprinter in hart-en-nieren natuurlijk moeten gaan voor Ludicrous. Of zeker voor een Performance (P85D / P90D).
Maarrr... de classic Performance geeft bij stoplichtsprints al een oppermachtig gevoel t.o.v. het andere verkeer, zelfs veel motorfietsen. De nieuwe 'gewone' 85D biedt dezelfde acceleratie voor dezelfde nieuwprijs als de classic Performance 2 jaar geleden. De P85D die een seconde sneller naar de 100 gaat, heeft een te hoge meerprijs in mijn ogen. Dat maakt die extra gewenste acceleratie een stuk minder aantrekkelijk. Om nog maar niet te spreken over Ludicrous.
Maar zoals gezegd, gelukkig hoef ik die worsteling nu niet te maken. :biggrin:

Mij interesseert het enkel als hij 20% sneller naar 250 gaat maar deze cijfers van tijdens de conf call zijn blijkbaar in een zwart gat verdwenen.
Als je nu een nieuwe MS configureert op de site van Tesla zelf, staat die 20% snellere tijd naar 250 km/u t.o.v. een standaard Performance letterlijk vermeld bij de optie Ludicrous. Maar dat is wellicht een beetje appels met peren vergelijken voor degenen die eerder een P85D hadden besteld...

ridiculous.jpg