TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Ludicrous Mode to be added later?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Maximilien, Jun 27, 2018.

?

Will there be ludicrous mode on Performance Model 3?

1. No, not at all due to the underline badge already taken.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. Yes, it will be via software update for all Model 3 Performance FOR FREE

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Yes, it will be via software update for all Model 3 Performance FOR ADDITIONAL FEE

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  4. Yes, but without software update. Earlier performance buyers not eligible; future config page only

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

I couldn't find the similar thread; so I might just start one.

Tesla seems to increment the options. I see the white interior premium for performance version. There is performance version but does not say anything about ludicrous mode.

When I saw the badge in the Model 3 configuration page, I saw the underline, which is ludicrous mode for Model S & X.

So it seems ludicrous mode is not available... or it may roll out via software update?

How many of you think that ludicrous will be added later?

• Disagree x 1
  2. pkodali

pkodali Member

I think they might add it later if they do a significant refresh to the S/X which significantly increases both of their 0-60 times

• Like x 1
  3. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Active Member

Ditto! My guess is 3.5s is the baseline performance, and ludicrous will be offered once Tesla moves the S/X to the 3's tech platform (new cells/motor/cooling/pack architecture) and they become correspondingly faster. Hopefully they'll do it for free, but who knows. I believe the actual cost difference between the P3 and normal AWD is minimal, and a large chunk of that is set aside for higher failure rates because everything's being pushed a little harder.

4. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

Considering I got my Model S speed upgrade from 5.2 seconds to 4.2-4.3 seconds for free, it may become possible for free upgrade. I had to take the car to the service center for hardware and I think I also received the software update.

However, Tesla seems it needs cash, so I am leaning toward the additional fee for upgrade if it becomes possible; so it will be interesting how it unfolds.

• Like x 1
  5. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

If you guys think Tesla will charge for ludicrous mode, how much do you think it will charge?

Considering dual motors is 80% of S/X. (4k vs. 5k, respectively), it sounds like it will be additional $8,000, for maybe like 0-60 2.9 seconds? I remember back when Model P85D, P90D Ludicrous was $10,000 more expensive than regular P85D, P90D.

6. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

What makes you think that Ludicrous mode won't come with the performance version of the Model 3? (It comes automatically with any performance Model S or X.)

7. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

I don't remember Tesla ever talking about ludicrous mode on 3. I would appreciate if there is one.

In the past, ludicrous mode was $10,000 more than the "base" performance model on S and X. Not sure if Tesla is pushing the same line.

8. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Elon has said, a long time ago on Twitter, that the Model 3 would have ludicrous.

That used to be the way it worked. Now every performance Model S&X comes with ludicrous. And like you said the underline means ludicrous, so that is likely our first indication that it really does come with it.

I figure that we will know for sure in about a week.

9. chickensworth

chickensworth Member

I doubt the currently advertised 3.5 is ludicrous since there has been no mention of it since his tweet from last year.
    But Elon did tweet that he ‘might’ be able to squeeze more power out of the drivetrain. Doubt he would tweet that if he wasn’t planning on it... maybe that’s the ludicrous upgrade in the future?
    I’d be willing to shell out a bit more for faster acceleration, but the P is getting to be an expensive 35k tesla.