TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Ludicrous P90D upgrade now available on Tesla Gear shop - $10k plus labor

Discussion in 'Model S' started by _TTT_, Mar 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. _TTT_

_TTT_ Member

Tesla — Ludicrous Mode P90D

This is for the P90D, not the P85D. Wonder what they will charge for labor considering that this is a software-only change, if I understand correctly....

2. _TTT_

_TTT_ Member

Can mods add "P90D" to the title? I can't edit it....

3. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

Perhaps the labour to put the underline on and perform the firmware upgrade?

4. BoldSharpe

BoldSharpe Member

If it's merely a software update, that would imply the 'Ludicrous' fuse and contactors are in all P90Ds. Has someone confirmed this to be the case?

5. Paul Carter

There was some discussion of it here, and it references a few other threads. Not 100% sure, but it appears to be the case.
    P90D Insane & P90D Ludicrous Traction Battery Stickers - Reveal & Questions

• Helpful x 1
  6. BoldSharpe

BoldSharpe Member

7. whitex

whitex Active Member

Why does it matter if it's a software upgrade or hardware? Do you think $10K upgrade from S40 to S60 is less valuable than a $10K upgrade from S70 to S90? If all Model S came with 100KW battery software limited to 70, 90 or full 100, you'd never buy anything higher than 70 only because it's a software upgrade?

8. Paul Carter

I'm looking at it from the angle that the parts are already there (Tesla perhaps wanted to keep things simple) and its not a difficult option to allow owners to choose to enable it later. You know like a few other things Tesla has known to have done. :D I'm very very tempted.

9. _TTT_

_TTT_ Member

There was someone from Dubai that confirmed a ranger flew out from Europe and flipped a software switch to add Ludicrous mode to a P90D. I can't remember what thread that was in though....

10. _TTT_

_TTT_ Member

It was Abu Dhabi:

L or no L?

"One thing to note, lately the P90D's can be upgraded to L with nothing more than a software update. A friend of mine here had a P90D Insane which he imported recently and we had a ranger fly out and upgrade it to Ludicrous with nothing more than a laptop and an underscore which he stuck on the back...older P90D's needed more hardware so I'm told"

11. BoldSharpe

BoldSharpe Member

To be fair, I'd have a hard time paying for it even if there was hardware component.

I've felt the cost of the Ludicrous upgrade is too high given the horsepower / rollout controversy. Learning the actual cost to produce an L versus an non-L is identical (as far as we know), that makes it an especially difficult pill to swallow. With that said, I only have a measly 85D so I have no skin in the game here but... Since you asked. :)

12. whitex

whitex Active Member

That's a different story. From your comment I understood that software upgrades are somehow less valuable.

Yes, that whole hp and "free highway speed upgrade" debacle left a bitter taste in people's mouths. That said, after Tesla came clean, it seems based on the numbers that the P90D to P90DL is a bigger improvement than S90D to P90D, but it costs half. So in my mind, if you P you should L. Given this upgrade showing up in the store, I'm thinking P100D will be Ludicrous by default, and P90D will go away. Having 70/70D, 90D, and P100D would differentiate between the models better, justify a P price difference (originally Tesla was marketing P85D as almost double the hp of 85D, but we know how that turned out).

• Like x 1
  13. Drivin

Drivin Member

If it is just software, then Tesla should share that software with everyone.
    Just like music companies should not penalize people for "sharing" music.

14. tstafford

tstafford Member

Agreed - and I have dual floppies and Copy II+ if anyone has the original software we can pirate it for sure.

15. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

By the way a portable floppy drive is indeed recognized by the USB ports.

16. BoldSharpe

BoldSharpe Member

For what it's worth, no one in this thread suggested anything of the sort.