Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous P90D upgrade now available on Tesla Gear shop - $10k plus labor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting - I had not seen that! I would have a very hard time shelling out $10K for a software upgrade.
Why does it matter if it's a software upgrade or hardware? Do you think $10K upgrade from S40 to S60 is less valuable than a $10K upgrade from S70 to S90? If all Model S came with 100KW battery software limited to 70, 90 or full 100, you'd never buy anything higher than 70 only because it's a software upgrade?

Interesting - I had not seen that! I would have a very hard time shelling out $10K for a software upgrade.
I'm looking at it from the angle that the parts are already there (Tesla perhaps wanted to keep things simple) and its not a difficult option to allow owners to choose to enable it later. You know like a few other things Tesla has known to have done. :D I'm very very tempted.

There was someone from Dubai that confirmed a ranger flew out from Europe and flipped a software switch to add Ludicrous mode to a P90D. I can't remember what thread that was in though....

It was Abu Dhabi:

L or no L?

"One thing to note, lately the P90D's can be upgraded to L with nothing more than a software update. A friend of mine here had a P90D Insane which he imported recently and we had a ranger fly out and upgrade it to Ludicrous with nothing more than a laptop and an underscore which he stuck on the back...older P90D's needed more hardware so I'm told"

Why does it matter if it's a software upgrade or hardware?
To be fair, I'd have a hard time paying for it even if there was hardware component.

I've felt the cost of the Ludicrous upgrade is too high given the horsepower / rollout controversy. Learning the actual cost to produce an L versus an non-L is identical (as far as we know), that makes it an especially difficult pill to swallow. With that said, I only have a measly 85D so I have no skin in the game here but... Since you asked. :)

To be fair, I'd have a hard time paying for it even if there was hardware component.
That's a different story. From your comment I understood that software upgrades are somehow less valuable.

I've felt the cost of the Ludicrous upgrade is too high given the horsepower / rollout controversy. Learning the actual cost to produce an L versus an non-L is identical (as far as we know), that makes it an especially difficult pill to swallow. With that said, I only have a measly 85D so I have no skin in the game here but... Since you asked. :)
Yes, that whole hp and "free highway speed upgrade" debacle left a bitter taste in people's mouths. That said, after Tesla came clean, it seems based on the numbers that the P90D to P90DL is a bigger improvement than S90D to P90D, but it costs half. So in my mind, if you P you should L. Given this upgrade showing up in the store, I'm thinking P100D will be Ludicrous by default, and P90D will go away. Having 70/70D, 90D, and P100D would differentiate between the models better, justify a P price difference (originally Tesla was marketing P85D as almost double the hp of 85D, but we know how that turned out).

Reactions: BoldSharpe