Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Plus is HERE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just because they are monitoring the same parameters on the P100D does not necessarily mean they are imposing the same restrictions (or any restrictions). I have seen the disclaimer they added to the order page, but what evidence is there of any P100Ds actually being limited? I've read most of that massive pack limited thread and there are very few hard facts in it. I haven't seen any actual evidence of a P100D being limited.
Any than the fact that Tesla says on the order page, that it may impose limitations?

As you said the cars have always monitored this data the limiting is part of the 8.0 software... The same system that limited my car in 3 months is in effect on p90dl and p100dl. The p100dl is not exempt, but you should have figured that out by now with all the wording changes to the p100dl order page, manual, and Ludicrous plus modes.

I pressed back for more info about what the parameters really are, as my main complaint is having no idea what causes the power limits to be imposed so how can I try to avoid them... I figured warning you p100d owners is the right thing to do vs keeping you in the dark as Tesla did to me on this. Do what you will but don't say you had no idea when your power gets reduced....:rolleyes: Tesla has added lots of disclaimers about this now vs my P90DL which had no such warnings in any manual or order page.

Honestly I was hopeful the 100 upgrade would remove these restrictions!

stop spreading misinformation. logging an event is not the same thing as imposing a limit.

Just because they are monitoring the same parameters on the P100D does not necessarily mean they are imposing the same restrictions (or any restrictions). I have seen the disclaimer they added to the order page, but what evidence is there of any P100Ds actually being limited? I've read most of that massive pack limited thread and there are very few hard facts in it. I haven't seen any actual evidence of a P100D being limited.

Sounds like we have a volunteer. Why don't you take your P100D and use the new Easter egg. Then launch it 25 times or so at a strip. Let us know what happens.;)

• Funny
Reactions: Tech_Guy
Thanks.

So what makes them be able to do that now? as opposed to previously?

not really sure i understand the question. they've always had the ability to adjust the amperage draw. my guess is that as time goes by, they come up with new algorithms or torque curves, and/or new test data that allows them to open the faucet a little bit wider without fear of burning out the motors or the interconnects or whatever.

625 is hard cut for Launches. This is counted as a WOT in ludicrous mode or launch mode or max battery mode over 1500 amps. It took me about 3 months and 6000 miles to hit the first power cut from 1600 amps to 1500 amps...

Sounds like we have a volunteer. Why don't you take your P100D and use the new Easter egg. Then launch it 25 times or so at a strip. Let us know what happens.;)

The closest 1/4 mile drag strip to me that allows the public access is more than an hour away, and on Friday night (when they let people drive their cars on the track) you are lucky to get 3 runs in as the line is more than an hour long for each pass. Plus if you get there after about 6pm they are usually already full. I used to take my Mustang up there when I was younger (about 15 years ago) and I took my 911 Turbo up there a couple times (about 10 years ago).

No way I would take the Tesla given that you have no insurance coverage when racing on a track like that, which means if some dumbass kid driving a souped up Camaro loses control and hits me I would be screwed. I'm lucky that never happened with my other cars. Not to mention the fact that repeatedly launching any car like that at a drag strip is eventually going to break something (I know that from experience as well).

Latest response from tesla to me. I'm a p100d owner as well btw.
It seems aflyer reading this using launch mode is not required. Just driving vehicle hard until ludacrous mode will result in artificial power loss over time. BS!

" Using Launch Mode, max battery power mode or to a lesser degree ludicrous settings with full accelerations places an increased stress on the entire powertrain, accelerating aging and fatigue of various components. The vehicle monitors these factors and adjusts available power accordingly to protect the systems. This is the normal operation of the vehicle as it is designed"

and although the number of launches is logged, this limit does not apply to P100D vehicles.

BEWARE

I own a p100d and that's not what I was toldoing from tesla. Now I do believe we are blowing this out of proportion and very few owners will experience any major artificial power loss but it CAN happen per tesla to ANY performance model including the p100d. And it doesn't have to be from launch mode uses only. Repeated wot in launch mode can trigger it as well.

Last edited:
you can just ask them to make a single pass, or wait for the other guy to go first in case he screws up....

The closest 1/4 mile drag strip to me that allows the public access is more than an hour away, and on Friday night (when they let people drive their cars on the track) you are lucky to get 3 runs in as the line is more than an hour long for each pass. Plus if you get there after about 6pm they are usually already full. I used to take my Mustang up there when I was younger (about 15 years ago) and I took my 911 Turbo up there a couple times (about 10 years ago).

No way I would take the Tesla given that you have no insurance coverage when racing on a track like that, which means if some dumbass kid driving a souped up Camaro loses control and hits me I would be screwed. I'm lucky that never happened with my other cars. Not to mention the fact that repeatedly launching any car like that at a drag strip is eventually going to break something (I know that from experience as well).

As you said the cars have always monitored this data the limiting is part of the 8.0 software... The same system that limited my car in 3 months is in effect on p90dl and p100dl. The p100dl is not exempt, but you should have figured that out by now with all the wording changes to the p100dl order page, manual, and Ludicrous plus modes.

I pressed back for more info about what the parameters really are, as my main complaint is having no idea what causes the power limits to be imposed so how can I try to avoid them... I figured warning you p100d owners is the right thing to do vs keeping you in the dark as Tesla did to me on this. Do what you will but don't say you had no idea when your power gets reduced....:rolleyes: Tesla has added lots of disclaimers about this now vs my P90DL which had no such warnings in any manual or order page.

Honestly I was hopeful the 100 upgrade would remove these restrictions!

How many times did you use launch mode?

Trc is the well documented car that launches repeatedly and shows video evidence of the results. So far they've never reported any limit at all. With all three flavors of their Tesla performance cars

Am I the only one whose head is having trouble handling the ludicrous launch of the P100D? I feel like immediately letting up on the accelerator because it "makes my head swim". Anyone else have this issue? I had a 700hp Viper that never caused this problem (of course I couldn't get the traction off the line to get that rocketlaunch experience). Maybe I need to lean my head back on the headrestraint when launching?

Or maybe I just need to press the "I want my Mommy" button.

i haven't had that problem, but i have experienced a fair number of high g-force experiences. i've ridden lots of launched roller coasters and been bungie jumping and skydiving before (which is of course zero Gs, until you pull the cord).

the body is pretty good at acclimating itself to extreme experiences. the more you do it, the less it will affect you. ;)

i know it sounds like i'm just saying "suck it up" but Doctors have been known to prescribe riding roller coasters as a cure for vertigo -- Roller coasters prescribed as treatment for NASCAR driver - CoasterBuzz

(note that it's important to make sure your symptoms aren't concussion-related -- otherwise you could just be exacerbating the problem)

Am I the only one whose head is having trouble handling the ludicrous launch of the P100D? I feel like immediately letting up on the accelerator because it "makes my head swim". Anyone else have this issue? I had a 700hp Viper that never caused this problem (of course I couldn't get the traction off the line to get that rocketlaunch experience). Maybe I need to lean my head back on the headrestraint when launching?

Or maybe I just need to press the "I want my Mommy" button.

My head can't get enough of the launch (in regular Ludicrous mode, w/o using launch control). I was used to the launch of my previous 630hp rear-drive car, but due to limited traction didn't subject me to nearly as much acceleration as my P100D. Having said that, I've only tried the "Ludicrous Plus" mode once so far. Something about that disclaimer statement.