Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Retrofit No Longer Available???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems that way, from the 'Shop' list for Model S. They were only doing it for original buyers, before something like July, 2015, anyway. An eligible pool that has naturally shrunk.

Well we've gotten over 200 views of this thread and no one can tell us otherwise.

All of the CPO inventory for P85D and P90D cars ar sans Ludicrous.

The only way that you can get Ludicrous right now is if you buy a P100D or if you go through the used market outside Tesla's CPO offerings.

At $5k, I am certainly glad that I got it when it was available. I'm sure that many others are as well. There aren't very many P85DLs out there.

And it looks like there won't be any more.

Nor P90DLs either for that matter.

The only cars out there with it are:

1. Retrofitted P85Ds and P90Ds.

2. Factory ordered P90Ds which are no longer an available factory option.

3. P100Ds.

I'm leaning towards keeping my P85DL for a little longer in light of the above.

Last edited:
Any one have idea how many were done? I've only seen two others in the wild besides mine so I'm guessing it's rare. I've also heard that tesla removes that designation through the CPO program so that makes it all the more rare. I guess I'll keep mine until the interior redesign which is hopefully in 2018

Well we've gotten over 200 views of this thread and no one can tell us otherwise.

All of the CPO inventory for P85D and P90D cars ar sans Ludicrous.

The only way that you can get Ludicrous right now is if you buy a P100D or if you go through the used market outside Tesla's CPO offerings.

At $5k, I am certainly glad that I got it when it was available. I'm sure that many others are as well. There aren't very many P85DLs out there.

And it looks like there won't be any more.

Nor P90DLs either for that matter.

The only cars out there with it are:

1. Retrofitted P85Ds and P90Ds.

2. Factory ordered P90Ds which are no longer an available factory option.

3. P100Ds.

I'm leaning towards keeping my P85DL for a little longer in light of the above.

I just looked on the Tesla website and found several P90D offerings that said they had the ludicrous upgrade.

I got a quote from the Burbank service center for a Ludicrous upgrade on our new to us CPO P85D for $5000. That was only a couple of weeks ago, so I think the service centers still do them even if it's not on the website.

And it appears you don't have to be the original owner, the option is tied to the VIN.

The L upgrade for P85Ds was always supposed to be 1/Available only to the original purchaser, and 2/ Available for 6 months. Tesla waited a year to discontinue the upgrade because installs didn't start for almost 5 months after the announcement.

Is this the result of the lawsuit against Tesla in Arizona that full launch power be available whenever the owner wants regardless of possible abuse to the battery and drive train? If so, what was intended to benefit all ludicrous owners ended up in the elimation of ludicrous mode for everybody else.

Just askin'.

Is this the result of the lawsuit against Tesla in Arizona that full launch power be available whenever the owner wants regardless of possible abuse to the battery and drive train? If so, what was intended to benefit all ludicrous owners ended up in the elimation of ludicrous mode for everybody else.

Just askin'.

I don't think it is related, they have been removing it from the non-P100D CPO cars since before the Arizona case, I thought it was shortly after the P100D was released when it started. Although, interestingly enough, they have 0 inventory cars and only 28 CPO listed at the moment. Of those 28 there is only one with Ludicrous, a P100D.

Just askin'.
Loaded terminology. Intended?

I don't think it is related, they have been removing it from the non-P100D CPO cars since before the Arizona case, I thought it was shortly after the P100D was released when it started. Although, interestingly enough, they have 0 inventory cars and only 28 CPO listed at the moment. Of those 28 there is only one with Ludicrous, a P100D.
"If I was Tesla..."

It's easier to find a non-Ludicrous buyer than a Ludicrous one and they'd like to move the inventory.

Not really but did wonder if the two were related. Tesla did lose the suit so that makes one wonder if ludicrous mode was elimated for self-protection.
Elaborating...

Were you intending to characterize owners using Ludicrous (perhaps in some specific way?) as "driver abuse" of the product (Ludicrous-enabled vehicle)?