TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ludicrous speed pack

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by Silverbird, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Silverbird

Silverbird Member

Any P85D owner wants to get this upgrade?

2. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

If anyone gets a Hong Kong price quote, also please let us know. Supposed to be US$5k + labour. Also supposed to not require the 90kWh battery.

3. MingMan

MingMan Member

When I first thought about buying a MS, I thought a 70D would be fine as I am no car racer. After learning the extra range and kW that a 85D would give me, I made an order for a 85D although a P85D would be nice for ego reason and the so-called "insane" mode. I was pleased as my choice was only next to the then highest end model.

Now Tesla came up with this "ludicrous" mode and a 90kWh battery, my choice is downgraded by at least 1 level, if not 2. Having said that, I asked myself: (1) How likely would I be able to do 0-100km in 2.8 secs in Hong Kong? (2) How much extra range and kW can the additional 5kWh give me? The P90D with ludicrous pack, if go with the options that I chose for my 85D, will likely pass the $1M mark. However, is the "ludicrous pleasure" worth it? My 2 cents.

4. deku

deku Member

Well, depends on how you look at that. Aventador LP700-4 2.9s 0-60mph, McLaren 650S 2.9s 0-60mph. Difference between 2.8s and 3.1s is between win or lose :D

5. Mentat

Mentat Member

Tesla rep is offering to let 'in queue' P85D order to upgrade to P90D but new wait time unknown since the new options not available in Hong Kong yet (can push delivery into next year)......and they are not promising the Ludicrous Mode speed upgrade as not cleared through HK regulators (yet).

Latest model vs. more immediate enjoyment of the car.....decision, decision, decision!

6. cynix

cynix Member

Can't the service centre install this upgrade for you after delivery? The discount is valid for 6 months so you should have plenty of time to decide.

7. Mentat

Mentat Member

The Tesla rep said not 100% sure if they can do the upgrade in Hong Kong due to regulatory constraint (like HK doesn't have the rear facing child seats option)! Just have to sit and wait, really a bit frustrating.

8. cynix

cynix Member

It wouldn't make sense if they could add it for you at the factory but not at the service centre due to "regulatory constraints", because you end up with the same car on HK roads regardless of where the upgrade was done. I think they simply don't have enough information to give you a correct answer at this point, which seems to be the case for most SCs around the world.

9. Silverbird

Silverbird Member

I don't think there is any regulatory constraints on this issue, if P85D is type approved then any increase in speed is not another type of vehicle. The upgrade of ludicrous speed pack is just to increase speed.

10. lx3h

lx3h Charged.hk TSLA Grp Rep

The extra price is out and delivery date is not postponed as the 90kWh will be retrofitted, someone on the Whatsapp group said.

11. Mentat

Mentat Member

Do you mean we can request upgrade to still in-queue P85D for Hong Kong and have all upgrades retrofitted after delivery? That would be excellent news!

Thanks,

12. cynix

cynix Member

Do you mean ludicrous speed will be retrofitted? I don't think they're retrofitting 90kWh at this stage.

13. AppleFan

AppleFan Member

My understanding -- though I stand to be corrected -- is that the 90kWh battery pack and the ludicrous speed upgrade are two separate things. The availability timeframe for the larger battery is not yet clear, and thus, if you wish to get it, your delivery date would inevitably be delayed. The ludicrous speed upgrade, on the other hand, can be added to the P85D, so if the faster acceleration is all you want, you can take delivery of your P85D and then they apply the speed upgrade later.

The two things seem linked because for business/marketing purposes, they have linked the two for new orders (i.e. you must have the bigger battery pack to get the ludicrous speed upgrade). However, Elon has already said the ludicrous speed upgrade can be applied (at a discount) to current P85D owners, so from a technical perspective, it must not be reliant on the larger battery pack.

As I said, that's my understanding, though I have no more information than what's on Tesla's press release.

14. Silverbird

Silverbird Member

#14 Silverbird, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    Yes, Elon only said that existing P85D owners can get the upgrade for US$5000 plus labour. He also said that he didn't recommend change to a larger battery pack now and therefore no price for this upgrade is mentioned. Since they have to collect back the used battery pack and figure out how much should be charged for a change of new battery. US$3k is only the difference between a new 85kw pack and a90kw pack. To replace a used 85kw battery with a new 90kw pack should be much more than US$3k

15. lx3h

lx3h Charged.hk TSLA Grp Rep

I don't know, just someone from Whatsapp group said, in details, as he claimed to have got the info from Tesla HK staff.

16. Mentat

Mentat Member

Just wondering any new P85D owner got this upgrade in Hong Kong?

17. Editot

Editot Member

I have P85D. It's already insane. No better word to describe it. I have no concept of "ludicrous", and neither do I have access to an airfield on which to test it. I'll give it a pass (or allow it to pass me).

18. Mikischu

Mikischu Member

I'm going to ask the dealership when I pick up my car. If this is cheaper than an Xpel wrap then I know what my choice would be.

19. redhair1129

redhair1129 New Member

ludicrous.jpg

So i just picked up the P85D 2 days ago, was very happy with it. Back to the topic, i asked if i could upgrade to Ludicrous mode when they first announced it, which was 2 months ago, and here's the answer from the salesman. Due to the delay, i decided not to up grade it at that time.
    I am not sure if we can upgrade it later or not thou.