Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Tesla Factory Experience 7/21/17..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, I didn't realize ppl were waiting for a "report". I had a crazy work week leading up to the event at the factory, and then took the redeye home and had a defective seat. I'm just a tad tired.

It was a great event. The tour was no different than the standard owner tour that are available today. However, the tour is much longer and detailed compared to when I went in 2013 & 2014. They even have a tram to take people around. This is probably old news.. but it was new to me.

We did sign an NDA, so I can't share lots of details. Tesla went as so far to say if a recording ends up in public that it will guarantee that future events will not be able to offer the same opportunities. They are planning to hold more of these events. This was the pilot/test.

I will say that the Q&A session with SVP Doug Fields was fantastic. He walked us through all the challenges Tesla overcame to achieve every last bit of performance out of the P100D, and why certain limits exist. He was planning to stay during the cocktail hour but was pulled away. He is a genuinely nice guy, loves the tech, and knows his stuff. I had my brother with me who is not an engineer, and he commented how well Doug described the challenges in a way that he could understand. At the same time he was willing to dive deep with the engineer types in attendance. He answered around 20 questions and not once said "I can't discuss that."

Our surprise guest was Lielani Munter who I've met before. Leilani is an amazing person. If you don't know who she is, go google her. She was a good sport and stuck around for awhile, taking pictures, etc.

We did see part of the M3 line, and 3's in various states of production. All I will say is I don't think there will be any surprises. The pics being shared of 3's in the wild seem accurate.

Andrew

Edit: forgot to say we also heard from someone on the energy team (I don't recall her name) who provided a briefing on solar roof, panels, power wall, and pack. It was the same briefing Tesla is providing nationally here in the US.

Last edited:

I had to fly to NYC Wednesday night and missed it. :( But when I called to regrettably cancel my reservation, they told me there are several more events being planned with some "special guests". OK I bit, yes Elon is supposedly going to drop in unannounced on an event or two. So keep your phone handy and be ready to confirm fast!