TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ludicrous upgrade after delivery costs

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by Xmama, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Xmama

Xmama Member

Does anyone know how much the additional parts and labor charge for an after delivery Ludicrous upgrade are?

2. Xmama

Xmama Member

Thanks. I know that it is $10,000, I'm curious what the additional charge for labor is. I haven't seen that cost anywhere yet.

3. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

Sorry I didn't read the page entirely and was assuming the labor is included.

4. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

This brings up a good question. Is the higher power BUS installed by default in the MX P90D? If it is then wouldn't the upgrade only require a software change to be enabled? I've heard in the MS there was the need for an actual part upgrade to get ludicrous, hence the "labor charge" disclaimer. Aside from the "labor" to change to the P90D badge what else is there?

5. bikeandsail

bikeandsail Member

I was at a SC the other day and they had the battery out of an S and asked what they were doing. They were upgrading to Ludicrous. There is obviously a hardware change involved. I have read that the contactors need changed out.

6. TSLA Pilot

TSLA Pilot Member

Was that a P85 getting the upgrade, or a P90?

AFAIK, the only labor involved for the P90 would be adding the underscore, and a few minutes changing the software, no?

7. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

This is my understanding as well. Especially considering there have been a couple reports by owners taking delivery (or was it just one by @Darryl?) that said they had Ludicrous turned on on their P90D's by mistake at delivery and they just plugged it into a computer and switched it off.

8. dwebb66

dwebb66 Member

That does not mean that all P90D's have the 'better' parts, it just means that that one P90D was built with them and that they were able to turn off the feature via software. If HE ever wants to upgrade then it would just be a software switch.

9. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

True. I would wager that's the case for all P's though. How about $1? ;)

10. madodel

madodel X at the end of a rainbow

Don't know about the Model S P90s, but I was told when I picked up my Signature P90D that all P90Ds had the hardware already installed. The reason I was told this was that mine had Ludicrous enabled and when I commented on it they had a tech hook up a laptop to a port under the tablet and deactivate it. The only other change was to switch the badge on the back of the car. Now maybe he meant all Signature X's had it installed, but that is not what he said. And I know of at least two other people who mentioned they had Ludicrous installed even though they hadn't ordered it. I believe this is the same as autopilot where the hardware is installed but if you don't order that option it is software disabled except for the emergency braking.

• Like x 1
  11. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

This may in fact be true for MX P90D! I believe the only labor charge will be the computer time to update car's software. I have a sneaking suspicion that all ludicrous parts are installed already on our P90Ds ;)

12. grommet

grommet Member

It's true for any S P90D now, so expect it to be true for X.

13. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

How about them apples? :p:D;)

Makes me want to upgrade to a P now. Hmmmm, might still have to pull that trigger.

14. P85DEE

P85DEE Active Member

I can say beyond any shadow of a shadow's ass of a doubt, that had I bought a P90D, and discovered that it was a actually P90D with Ludicrous, a $10,000.00 option, I would not have said a damn thing to anybody.

Your post now makes me wonder just how many P90Ds out there might actually be P90Ds that nobody except for the owner knows about.

15. Sixtrain

Sixtrain Member

I did this after I selected my options but before delivery. They charged me an extra $500 for the upgrade to get done at the dealership.