TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ludicrous upgrade booked March 30, 2016

Discussion in 'Canada' started by sataponw, Mar 10, 2016.

1. sataponw

sataponw Member

Just got my Ludicrous upgrade appointment booked for March 30, 2016 at the Mississauga office. Apparently I was the first to reserve for the location.
    The pricing is $6,500 + tax. Still not quite sure if it's worth it.. but at this point, too late now. :p

2. sundoc

sundoc Member

Congrats!
    I'm still waiting to hear back from them... it'd be nice to get that, my one year and tires swapped all in the same visit!

3. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Agree, me too!

4. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

Seems to be a lot off money for just an infinitessimal speed increase?
    Will any non Tesla owner notice the difference? I don't think so.

5. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Your opinion, and you're entitled to it.

Of the owners I know who are upgrading, I don't know any who are doing it for "non-owners".

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Actually it's a bigger acceleration impact at far less cost than Roadster Sport was. I could tell the difference between it and the base Roadster, but only after I got used to the car. That was a 0.2 second improvement. Ludicrous is a much bigger delta.

I'm quite certain I would easily "notice" the difference.

• Like x 1
  7. TytanX

TytanX Member

I just put my deposit down. I heard no loaner. That true? How long does the install take?

8. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

For CAD $ 6500.- they should carry you around in a sedan chair, never mind a loaner.

• Funny x 1
  9. Beckler

Beckler Member

:D:D

• Funny x 1
  10. sundoc

sundoc Member

Turns out I'm #10 on the list... don't know how i slipped that far down! oh well.

Sataponw: Yours was started today right? Any updates?

11. wayner

wayner Active Member

But isn't it US$10,000 more for a new order? I am hoping that the Ludicrous upgrade, once I finally get it, will be worth a few thou in resale value.

• Like x 1
  12. sataponw

sataponw Member

Got my car back. Took them longer than they expected since it was their first one which I gladly told them to take as long as they want. With the sudden winter, I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Nice to see the underline on the car though :)

• Like x 2
  13. sitter_k

sitter_k Member

Wait till they start selling underlines on ebay! Yours should come with racing neck brace.

14. In2oil

In2oil Member

I had my TESLA Model S P85D, now Ludicrous done on March 28, 2016. I am told that i am the very first car in Vancouver and perhaps the first one in Canada.
    the game plan was the drive my car from Calgary to Vancouver and get it upgraded. instead i decided to ship the car to Vancouver, my reasoning for shipping the car, simple Driving in the mountains late March is too unpredictable.. The car was dropped off a few days prior to the scheduled appointment, so me and my wife decided to take off to California while the car was ludicrous.

My thoughts on ludicrous. Well, Was it worth it? I think so, yet the performance improvement is not that good. I had the chance to race a friend's P85D without ludicrous and not improvement at all on the 0-60, The only significant power increase can be felt at over 100km/h. To be honest i am a little disappointed. If i would have known I would have passed on the upgrade and instead invest my money a new Model S P90D., yet the fact that my car now has that super high tech fuse makes me feel pretty good.

• Informative x 2
  15. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I have driven my P90DL for a few months now...

Agree that it is only marginally faster than the P85D from 0-60, and, that it is significantly faster from 100kph & up.

Is it worth it? Absolutely. I quite enjoy having the increased torque above 100 kph!

I am not in the least disappointed, and still will be proceeding with adding the fuse to my wife's P85D when our turn comes up.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. wayner

wayner Active Member

I am Finally getting my P85D upgraded to a P85D a week from today and now I learn that I will no longer be the fastest kid on the block

17. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

I don't think I'll be doing this.... I haven't been able to rationalize it. But if we can (and it looks like it will be possible in the future) I would consider swapping out the pack for a P100D pack.

18. wayner

wayner Active Member

My rationalization is that I hope to get some of the Ludicrous delta back in resale since the retrofit is much cheaper than buying Ludicrous on a new vehicle. I guess there won't be a ton of P85Ds in Canada but they should sell for a premium over a P85D. I guess there will be more Ludicrous on the P90D and now P100D.

19. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

That's reasonable... you'll certainly get some of it back, and I keep considering it. But I do expect that the most of the people looking for L vehicles will tend toward the P90DLs.

The really early P85Ds - yours and mine - that we bought at close to par $$$ in 2014 have really held their resale value. That's a mix of the C$ drop and the fact that the PD vehicles have gotten progressively more expensive in general.

20. wayner

wayner Active Member

You are probably right that they will tend towards the 90s. It will be interesting in a few years to see prices for similar mileage 85Ds, 85DLs, 90Ds and 90DLs. There isn't too much else different in the cars other than the battery size and Ludicrous (or not).