Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous upgrade for Australia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not disappointed. Unnecessary. For what I usually listen to, hifi makes little difference. Air is nice but coils would do the job just as well. I don't travel long distances much so the lowering aerodynamic range extending effect is really a marginal benefit. So, the cash saved would go to things more useful to me. For the occasional steep driveway, ok, they are good.

I guess one often says to themselves that if I were to get the same car again, I would water it down and save money on this feature and that feature. With experience one realises that such features are not as used or useful as anticipated. If I were to get the i3 again, I would do so without the range extender, the 20" wheels, sound system, sunroof, leather interior and LED headlights. Of course the car is now driven by the wife.

The Tesla is still too fresh for me. Still falling in love with every option, not out of love yet. But I am guessing that if people were forced to get a new Tesla, the first thing they would save on would be the very expensive wheels that do nothing other than look good (and actually detract from performance, comfort, etc...). They do look good though. But I am guessing that with most relationships, looks are transitory. Anyone seen my wife recently? No just kidding - she's as beautiful as the day I met my Tesla - armm HER I mean HER, THE WIFE!

Another article on ludemode

I just tried Tesla's new 'Ludicrous' mode Model S | Business Insider

In regards to value for money, it's really a personally decision. My last car was an Audi R8. Before I ordered I agonised over the V10 vs the V8. The gap in cost was around $85k and the increase in performance was about .5 sec (on the 0-100 times). I ended up going for the V8, but I often regretted my decision.

Being that the ludemode upgrade is relatively cheap (at least compared to the Audi V10 vs V8) then for me, it makes sense.

It's worth noting that my decision to buy a model s, was not made entirely for environmental reasons. My guess is that most owners who made the decision to buy a model s for its tech advancements or green credentials will have zero interest in Ludemode. Likewise those who's primary reason was the insane acceleration, are likely to opt for the upgrade.

A final thing to consider is the resale. My feeling is that you are likely to get the majority of the Ludemode upgrade back when it comes to resale.

Last edited:

In regards to value for money, it's really a personally decision. My last car was an Audi R8. Before I ordered I agonised over the V10 vs the V8. The gap in cost was around $85k and the increase in performance was about .5 sec (on the 0-100 times). I ended up going for the V8, but I often regretted my decision.

Being that the ludemode upgrade is relatively cheap (at least compared to the Audi V10 vs V8) then for me, it makes sense.

It's worth noting that my decision to buy a model s, was not made entirely for environmental reasons. My guess is that most owners who made the decision to buy a model s for its tech advancements or green credentials will have zero interest in Ludemode. Likewise those who's primary reason was the insane acceleration, are likely to opt for the upgrade.

A final thing to consider is the resale. My feeling is that you are likely to get the majority of the Ludemode upgrade back when it comes to resale.

That's kind of my position as well. While I bought it for ECO and cool gadgets I love the acceleration. Mind you, I say this without actually having the car... Tick Tock :)

My experience, regrettably, with second hand cars is not good. i had significant inclusions in my last car, a Merc, which made not a jot of difference. The price i got was truly ludicrous, but I had Red Devil coming so did not have much choice. Your experience may, of course, vary.

My experience, regrettably, with second hand cars is not good. i had significant inclusions in my last car, a Merc, which made not a jot of difference. The price i got was truly ludicrous, but I had Red Devil coming so did not have much choice. Your experience may, of course, vary.

Yup. If you don't have something on the car then you get the whole "if it had XXXX" then I would offer you another $3k. But, if the car is optioned up then they say "options don't really add to the value of the car unless someone really wants that option". So either way they are trying to beat you down to as little as possible.

At least from what I understand the Tesla CPO program is transparent about how they will value options?

I agree that you really don't generally get any resell value for options. In saying this the upgrade to Ludemode is not really an option IMO. My feeling is that it's essentially the upgrade to a P90D (not sure if you get the badge?). If you look at the gap between the 2014 P85 and the P85+ on the U.S Tesla preowned site, the + sells for around $10k USD more.

Resale value is important, but don't forget the main reason for getting the upgrade to Ludicrous is for FUN.

You're getting a 10% increase in power from 0-100 and a much bigger increase from 60-150. It's actually REALLY good value for money when compared to a similar ICE.

From what I've read, the difference in power you feel after 80km an hour is very noticeable between Insane and Ludicrous.

Just read this

http://www.teslarati.com/tesla-drop...-have-the-same-performance-as-ludicrous-p90d/

Personally given the lack of a service centre in WA and the already 'insane' performance of the P85D I doubt I will get the upgrade. When it is finally available in Aus I will research the 80-120 acceleration times comparison before making the final call on this.

Just an FYI... I asked yesterday and Ludicrous mode is still not in Australia for upgrade :( I will get it, when I bought the P, I bought it for the performance angle as well, may as well get the extra grunt if it is available.