Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Proof is in the pudding .... lots of post on all this horsepower number stuff ..... and I can get down in the weeds with the best of them .... but the Model "S" is such a different beast ..... the instant "feel" of the intense acceleration or the satisfying rush of quick lane changes and seeing a car disappear in the rear view mirror is an intangible effect that isn't real until you feel it .... yo mama is describing that feeling and I see that as a positive! I know in my older years I don't intent on visiting the old track and dusting off an advisary ... so 2.9 or 2.8 or whatever is secondary to the feel and response of the car for me ..... thanks for sharing your day with us ... looking forward to the install moving out to the service centers so i can make my own judgements .... :)

It'll be interesting to see if, as some fear, the battery needs to reach some temperature before Ludicrous mode can even be enabled, meaning the car is limited to Sport mode at all other times, or if, as I expect we all hope, Ludicrous mode can be selected at any time, but the improvements over Insane mode only kick in if the battery is warm enough.

Edit: Or even better--the person who told yo mama the stuff about the battery needing to heat was mistaken, and Ludicrous mode is always better than Insane mode, but to get the absolute best out of Ludicrous mode, the battery has to be warm enough.

Just thinking out loud here, another data point which should be checked is how much if any impact use of Ludicrous in the upgraded cars has on rated range

Just thinking out loud here, another data point which should be checked is how much if any impact use of Ludicrous in the upgraded cars has on rated range

We'd have to hope that like Insane mode, it would have no effect except when pushed beyond what Sport mode would do. So that unless you were pushing the limits of Ludicrous, beyond what Sport is capable of, the energy usage should be the same as in Sport mode.

If that isn't the case, for some reason, that would be a pretty big negative over Insane mode, since we already know that's how Insane mode works.

There is a P85D for sale on Ebay by Texas Imports that claims to have this upgrade. Seems odd that they got it done so fast since it was probably a few weeks ago.
Would be surprised if this were a p85DL without the updated badging though. Doesn't have the underline. Might be JohnC's car though. Elon follows him on Twitter, so maybe that's a VIP and it's pre-badge availability? ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

So so happy for you

- better passing power in the 65+ mph area. I'd say somewhere between 10% and 15% more "oomph" when you punch it at 65 trying to get around someone
<snip>
- I know $5,000 is a lot of money. But phrased differently, would I pay 3-4% more for this option, relative to the initial purchase price? Unqualified "yes" - for me, anyways

I REALLY hope you're accurate on the highway passing power advantage. That is my #1 hope for this as it will get us closer to living up to original expectations.

thanks for posting and allowing us to live vicariously through you :)

- - - Updated - - -

i think this is possibly the first post we've agreed on.

My thought on the matter is Tesla don't want people to select ludicrous mode, test it and say they can't spot a difference because the car wasn't in the right operating window. By preventing the option from being selected until the car is ready, they can avoid that but they're also making it pretty clunky to use. Another thought is that it's like a ice car launch control. Only selectable in certain conditions, gives you one great hit but then clears.

complete speculation here, though I fail to see why p85dl would have any warming requirement over the p90dl. I can imagine BOTH don't get full benefit unless battery is at optimal temp, though would hope it's not differing UI / expectations... I guess we'll find out in the morning :)

I spoke at length with my Tesla Owner Advisor (who BTW owns a P85+) when I did my P90DL extensive test drive. On the P90DL, there are two modes as you know, SPORT and LUDICROUS. Also the MAX BATTERY option for the LUDICROUS.

According to him, essentially the SPORT mode renders the P90DL in a performance envelope much like the 90D with some additional power over the 90D in the way of torque.

When you choose LUDICROUS you are in LUDICROUS immediately. No waiting for anything. No need to warm up anything.
However, if you want the best LUDICROUS performance from the P90DL (according to him) you could hit the MAX BATTERY option under the SPORT / LUDICROUS buttons and this
will either quickly or eventually (depending upon battery temperature) bring the pack to "optimal" discharge conditions.

But again, when you are in LUDICROUS mode, you are IN LUDICROUS mode on the P90DL.

So there are then two modes of LUDICROUS :

L (without Max Battery)
L+M (with Max Battery)

In my test, without instrumentation, I could not feel much difference between L and L+M modes.... we are dealing in 10ths of a second here... and a new driver.
Also State of Charge on the traction pack will probably have some effect on performance... but I do not know about that fine aspect.

I would think that the P85DL would operate exactly the same way with the exception of having a 85 kWh traction pack and perhaps stiffer suspension.
I am very glad for you all that Tesla Motors has begun rolling out this upgrade program and I look forward to some serious testing...

A bit astonished however, that among all of you CALI P85D owners there is a lack of instrumentation...?? What is UP?

Last edited:
DragTimes looked into the Max Bat setting and found there was no difference in performance provided the battery was in a normally warmish operating temperature. I'm sure it would condition the battery if you were in a colder climate (where region limit while cold occurs) when the battery was too cold for high current but otherwise is not necessary to achieve good performance from the car.

GG, please remind me: where did you & Pete do your acceleration runs again?

Hey Marc, here you go:

Started off from the San Mateo Supercharger,
took off on the Hillsdale ramp onto 101-S,
exited at Holly St / Redwood Shores Pkwy,
turned around onto the 101-S ramp and took off,
Exited at Whipple, turned around and got back to the Supercharger

So, a couple of launches on straight on-ramps, and short bursts at highway speeds.

Additional comments from the morning after:
- I woke up and the MS was still in "ludicrous" mode. Then again, the vehicle also still reflected "max battery power." (Query as to whether this would be true if I lived on Hoth). This suggests that no further battery warm up is required today in order to immediately achieve ludicrous performance. I'll take it for a spin and confirm after breakfast.
= @tstafford: yes, it's like driving it for the first time again. All I wanted to do was drive yesterday. I became irrationally grouchy with the Mrs. when she said we had to actually stop driving and go buy some skis so we hit the slopes next week. Get ready for ski season usually makes me happy. (We compromised by driving to the Any Mountain that was the farthest away from our then-current location).
- not sure if the badging is totally new or just the underline is new. The badging is not a "single piece" but I don't think I'd like "P85DL" as much. Too wordy.
- still need to floor all the way through 80 in sort of mimic the quarter mile. Didn't get the opportunity to do that yet. Will report back later today.

We'd have to hope that like Insane mode, it would have no effect except when pushed beyond what Sport mode would do. So that unless you were pushing the limits of Ludicrous, beyond what Sport is capable of, the energy usage should be the same as in Sport mode.

If that isn't the case, for some reason, that would be a pretty big negative over Insane mode, since we already know that's how Insane mode works.

I was thinking more about this.

While I don't think Tesla would do this, I guess it is possible that they could, conceivably, have made the decision to maintain the battery at a warmer temperature in Ludicrous mode than in Sport and Insane mode, in order to improve performance, at the expense of efficiency. Again, we have no reason to expect that they have done this. I am only throwing this out for completeness' sake, to continue the conversation, and provide one possible explanation for a way Ludicrous mode could be overall less efficient than the other modes, even when not being used beyond Sport mode capabilities.

I can't imagine Tesla would have actually done this.

Yo,
The big question for me, apart from side by side and VBox numbers, is how you feel about the P90DL now. Everyone sits on a different wallet but how do you feel about the difference between the P85DL and 90DL now? Are you happy with the 85DL or would you still go for the 90DL if you could?

Hey Marc, here you go:

Started off from the San Mateo Supercharger,
took off on the Hillsdale ramp onto 101-S,
exited at Holly St / Redwood Shores Pkwy,
turned around onto the 101-S ramp and took off,
Exited at Whipple, turned around and got back to the Supercharger

So, a couple of launches on straight on-ramps, and short bursts at highway speeds.

Perfect, thanks GG!

Cant wait for hard data, but loving the idea of 10-15% better highway passing performance. Almost don't care if 0-60 improves if I can have that.

That's indeed the weak spot of the P85D. Really hope Tesla is able to find a way to release more power from the battery without impacting the cell life expectancy too much. There's also the issue of more heat that comes with more power. I'm sure it is quite a difficult balancing act. I wouldn't be surprised this is where the delay in achieving the advertised 1/4 mile time comes from.

Last edited:
Yo,
The big question for me, apart from side by side and VBox numbers, is how you feel about the P90DL now. Everyone sits on a different wallet but how do you feel about the difference between the P85DL and 90DL now? Are you happy with the 85DL or would you still go for the 90DL if you could?
i've not had the privilege of riding in a P90DL yet, so I can't contrast the experiences. I can say, without hesitation, that I'd have gone for the P90DL had it be available when I ordered. However, other than a bit more range I can't possibly imagine how the P90DL could be perceptibly faster than what I'm currently rollin' in. I may need to track down pete90d or someone else to assist with that comparison.