Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked-it up today! :cool:

IMG_2823.JPG

Congratulations! Go find somewhere safe to play and report back when you stop driving! Formal timed 0-60 / 1/4 mile numbers, perhaps????

I will be returning to iCar's drag strip in a couple of weeks when I manage to sync-up with llavalle, so we can do, CANtact & GoPro recording as well!

Expect, some graphs in the thread with pre vs post L upgrade! Mostly 1/4 miles numbers.
Chassis CAN Logging To ASCII Text Plus Graphing

received mine a few weeks ago...It is definitely faster than Insane. I have definitely noticed power reserve draining faster than before the upgrade. I, like some others before me on this thread have stated, bought my p85d after a test-drive because I loved the speed and power and wanted to buy the quickest 4 door daily driver sedan on the planet that I could buy. 2 days after I received my p85d, Tesla released the p90D Ludicrous...I was kind of sad about this, but happy when Tesla offered the Ludicrous upgrade for 50% the normal cost...I definitely feel it was worth it...However, if you ask my wife-she will say it was not worth it...

It's draining faster just because you're playing with it more. In reality it's just as efficient as it was before.

My drive home the other was 282 wh / mile at 70 to 75 for the entire 130 mile trip with an elevation increase of 170 feet. This is on 21" wheels.

Ok, bit of good news / bad news today.

Bad news first: even though my appointment was set a couple of months ago for today, I was told that service techs are really backed up (by over a week) so it will likely be at least 2 weeks until I get my car back :(
I'm guessing it's going to sit there in the back of the parking lot, in the sun and heat for at least a week. Then my service advisor said it would take 3-4 days to get the upgrade done.

Anyway, onto the good news: I was given a P90D mfg loan with... Ludicrous mode! It's obviously limited to 80mph top speed, as all other loaners are, but boy is that acceleration up to 80 impressive :D

Can't wait to get my car back in mid-July!

Bad news first: even though my appointment was set a couple of months ago for today, I was told that service techs are really backed up (by over a week) so it will likely be at least 2 weeks until I get my car back :(
I'm guessing it's going to sit there in the back of the parking lot, in the sun and heat for at least a week. Then my service advisor said it would take 3-4 days to get the upgrade done.

Anyway, onto the good news: I was given a P90D mfg loan with... Ludicrous mode! It's obviously limited to 80mph top speed, as all other loaners are, but boy is that acceleration up to 80 impressive :D

I am not sure that timing makes sense but who knows.

Here is my experience.

1) I brought the vehicle to Rockville SC at 730 AM Monday 20 June with an SOC of 25%.....they asked that it be 30% or less.
2) Midday they start charging my car (goof up) and I receive a call later in the afternoon that they can't get to the car at all on Monday.
3) I see no evidence that there is any activity with the car until late afternoon Tuesday.......the initial activity is to run the heater to undo the charging goof up which takes a few hours.
4) By Wednesday mid afternoon, the car is accessible and I begin to see software update attempts. Around 5 PM the update succeeds
5) They deliver the car to me Thursday morning swapped with the loaner S85.......all good.

Good communication from Rockville throughout this process which was very nice.

Based on my experience, and observations when the car was accessible via the app, I estimate that the actual L hardware upgrade took 8-10 hours. Rockville SC had more trouble getting the firmware to load which took another 4 hours and a call to engineering. They even removed the battery to make sure that nothing was done incorrectly when the firmware didn't load.......again that process appeared to take but a few hours. All in the upgrade appeared to require <16 hours......even with the problems they had. Another thing to note is that when I brought the vehicle in, they had every intention of returning it the same day.

I finally got the call from the Paramus SC that my Ludicrous Retrofit has arrived ! I scheduled the upgrade for 7/27. Planning to drop off the car on Wednesday evening and pick up on Saturday morning. I think 2 whole business days should be sufficient. I'm also asking them to do the yearly service as part of my maintenance plan.

I finally got the call from the Paramus SC that my Ludicrous Retrofit has arrived ! I scheduled the upgrade for 7/27. Planning to drop off the car on Wednesday evening and pick up on Saturday morning. I think 2 whole business days should be sufficient. I'm also asking them to do the yearly service as part of my maintenance plan.

I forgot to mention that they also did the yearly maintenance on mine as well.........which I can't imagine took them more than an hour given what they did......alignment, windshield wipers, general inspection......and oil change plus new plugs (that probably took awhile)

Have fun with the upgrade. You will feel like you just got a new car.

To all who had the upgrade done: Tesla service told me to bring the car with 30 - 40% of battery remaining. In terms of miles left, how many miles did you bring your vehicles in with ? I usually charge my car once a week so I was thinking of bringing the charge down by not charging it for a couple of weeks and then drive a little more to bring it down to a recommended level.

To all who had the upgrade done: Tesla service told me to bring the car with 30 - 40% of battery remaining. In terms of miles left, how many miles did you bring your vehicles in with ? I usually charge my car once a week so I was thinking of bringing the charge down by not charging it for a couple of weeks and then drive a little more to bring it down to a recommended level.

They told me below 30% was preferred...otherwise, they probably will need to bring it down themselves before starting to work on the car...
So if you want to get your car back faster, lower is better!

Go in with 75 miles or less and that should work.

Change your UI settings to % rather than miles (temporarily).

Well, it's been over 2 weeks since I dropped off my P85D in Burlingame, and it hasn't moved an inch since... service advisor says the backup has become even worth so they will likely not work on it till the end of the week (I'm guessing next week).

I don't really mind as I'm driving a P90DL and putting miles on it instead of mine, but I do miss my car! And, I'm also concerned as my P85D's battery is now down to 2% SoC (5 miles of rated range left). What happens if it drains all the way to 0? :(

I had my P85D scheduled for an up grade today. The service center called me yesterday And backed me up a week saying they needed the " newer " upgrade kit since I had a newer battery. They had the old kits in stock but had to wait for this one. Since my car is a mid March 2015 build I find this suspect, there has been speculation that they have tweaked the upgrade on other threads. Possibly a slight increase in amps under ludicrous to 1600 rather than 1500. We shall see.

I dropped off our car on monday morning 8.30 am (in Belgium) and recieved a phonecall early in the evening that the car was ready (they also replaced a part in the chargeport and tried to resolve an issue with Spotify) I think I could have had it back that same night but they wanted to clean the car first :)