Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great news on both fronts.

Any idea on how long they'll need to keep your car for the upgrade?

I recall hearing that it was an all day thing.
I was told it would take two days, assuming I ran the battery down low. Apparently they have to completely drain the battery as part of the upgrade. So bringing it in with a full charge makes it take longer.

I was told it would take two days, assuming I ran the battery down low. Apparently they have to completely drain the battery as part of the upgrade. So bringing it in with a full charge makes it take longer.

Wow. I'm almost as excited as you are.

Only difference is I'm about to put my snow tires on, and you're about to get Ludicrous.

So not much difference in our level of excitement at this point at all, right?:biggrin:

Seriously, I'm on the list for Ludicrous too, but probably won't see it until the spring, and I am waiting for my snow tire package from Tesla now before the temps drop. At least you're in Cali and can tell us how things all went, and can give us on the east coast the whole scoop on the process and the results.

Congrats on the pending update. And I'm also stoked and ready for Ludicrous myself.:cool:

Wow. I'm almost as excited as you are.

Only difference is I'm about to put my snow tires on, and you're about to get Ludicrous.

So not much difference in our level of excitement at this point at all, right?:biggrin:

Seriously, I'm on the list for Ludicrous too, but probably won't see it until the spring, and I am waiting for my snow tire package from Tesla now before the temps drop. At least you're in Cali and can tell us how things all went, and can give us on the east coast the whole scoop on the process and the results.

Congrats on the pending update. And I'm also stoked and ready for Ludicrous myself.:cool:
I am pretty excited. Part of it is that I'll get to go a little faster. Part of it is the narcissistic desire for the new badging. Mostly I'm looking forward to erasing the bitter taste of having had *just* missed out on being able to order a P90DL from a timing perspective. Because I totally would have paid full boat for that and now I get to pay quite a bit less and still get most of what I was looking for.

Okay, dropped my MS off this evening. Everyone was super cool. Picked up two little tidbits. First, sounds like they are only doing 1 upgrade per week at the moment. Second, for an upgraded P85DL the battery has to be warmed up (not hot or cold) in order for ludicrous mode to even present itself as an option. I suspect the "max power" software upgrade was intended to help with this. I'm pretty pumped though - so were the service folks.

Last edited:
I'm very curious to see what Yo tells us this week - I'm especially interested to see if there is an associated software update with the upgrade. Waiting to see what Tesla has in store for the P90DL owners.
We'll see. I may need to hook up with Sorka or someone else in the Bay Area to figure out how to accurately measure the new performance. I'm an attorney, not an engineer. I haven't a clue what to plug in where for that sort of thing.

Okay, dropped my MS off this evening. Everyone was super cool. Picked up two little tidbits. First, sounds like they are only doing 1 upgrade per week at the moment. Second, for an upgraded P85DL the battery has to be warmed up (not hot or cold) in order for ludicrous mode to even present itself as an option. I suspect the "max power" software upgrade was intended to help with this. I'm pretty pumped though - so were the service folks.

I was all on board with the Ludicrous upgrade until I saw this. I have faith Tesla will make improvements to enhance the performance from what current testers are finding but this whole "max power" thing rubs me the wrong way. One of the best things I enjoy about my MS is the fact that I can drop the pedal and any moment and get max performance. Now to get use of Ludicrous I need to fiddle with the screen and wait for the batter to warm up? That makes it a total gimmick that I will use for about 1 week and then the novelty will wear off.

It's going to have to have some pretty impressive power increases at passing speeds to make it worthwhile for me now.

I was all on board with the Ludicrous upgrade until I saw this. I have faith Tesla will make improvements to enhance the performance from what current testers are finding but this whole "max power" thing rubs me the wrong way. One of the best things I enjoy about my MS is the fact that I can drop the pedal and any moment and get max performance. Now to get use of Ludicrous I need to fiddle with the screen and wait for the batter to warm up? That makes it a total gimmick that I will use for about 1 week and then the novelty will wear off.

It's going to have to have some pretty impressive power increases at passing speeds to make it worthwhile for me now.

I could be reading him wrong, but I interpreted that to mean that the battery cannot be cold if one wants Lidicrous to be available and that driving the car for some time would accomplish that just as would selecting max battery power.

I drew this this conclusion based in part on what we've seen reported with max battery in the P85D and P90D now.

Time will tell of course.

But what he says brings up an interesting question.

If Ludicrous is not available until the battery is warmed up, well then what is available up until that point?

In other words, is Insane still available, or is Insane absent, Ludicrous grayed out, and only sport mode available before the battery warms up?

My (imperfect) understanding is that 15 minutes of "normal" driving will enable ludicrous. For example, if you just unplugged from a SC station your battery will be "hot" and need to cool down a bit. Conversely, your battery won't be warmed up immediately when you start the car for the first time each day. This seems normal to me. If you're doing time trials don't you drive the car around a bit to warm things up before expecting maximum performance? My SPECULATION is that "max power" helps shorten the natural warm up period for people in cold climates (or whatever). But once you're warmed up its not like you have to do anything else - drop the hammer all you want after that.

- - - Updated - - -

I could be reading him wrong, but I interpreted that to mean that the battery cannot be cold if one wants Lidicrous to be available and that driving the car for some time would accomplish that just as would selecting max battery power.

I drew this this conclusion based in part on what we've seen reported with max battery in the P85D and P90D now.

Time will tell of course.

But what he says brings up an interesting question.

If Ludicrous is not available until the battery is warmed up, well then what is available up until that point?

In other words, is Insane still available, or is Insane absent, Ludicrous grayed out, and only sport mode available before the battery warms up?
I asked about the sport/insane/ludicrous functionality. I didn't get a clear answer. I'll post screen shots when I get my car back later this week.

Last edited:
Definitely glad that Tesla is making the upgrades happen and appreciative of Yo Mama for taking the risk of being the guinea pig.

However I am kind of bummed about the new info about the battery temp. We started out thinking the upgrade would provide Ludicrous speed (10.9 quarter mile) but now we see lower specs AND the caveat that the increased performance won't be there for the first 15 mins of normal driving. More and more this is becoming a tough cost to justify. On the other hand, Tesla continues to impress me so I will hold out for the much awaited feedback from our boy Mama.

For me this all just comes down to improved passing power - either it's available and noticeable or it's not.

Weird UI if I'm understanding you correctly...

So at track events I need to jump in my car how many minutes before pre-grid so that I can reach the UI to enable Ludicrous? Or is the idea that I turn on Ludicrous at 70mph after lap 2?

For comparison, my P85D has been in Insane Mode since taking delivery. I don't need to touch anything to "prep for track performance" (though I do have to turn off AEB).

Definitely glad that Tesla is making the upgrades happen and appreciative of Yo Mama for taking the risk of being the guinea pig.

However I am kind of bummed about the new info about the battery temp. We started out thinking the upgrade would provide Ludicrous speed (10.9 quarter mile) but now we see lower specs AND the caveat that the increased performance won't be there for the first 15 mins of normal driving. More and more this is becoming a tough cost to justify. On the other hand, Tesla continues to impress me so I will hold out for the much awaited feedback from our boy Mama.

For me this all just comes down to improved passing power - either it's available and noticeable or it's not.
Please remember that much of what I'm saying is my own speculation. If (hypothetically) it only takes 60 seconds for the battery to warm up, then who cares? I don't think the "15 minute" figure should be taken too seriously at this point. I'll have actual data shortly. Besides, as long as we still have access to "insane" performance during the warm up period then "ludicrous" will truly have additive value. I'm totally fine with that.

We are likely dealing with the current battery condition for maximum power deal. If too cold or too hot, you can not draw lots of power without damaging the battery. I suspect it will end up being a non-issue (and hope that is not wishful thinking).

If (hypothetically) it only takes 60 seconds for the battery to warm up, then who cares? I don't think the "15 minute" figure should be taken too seriously at this point. I'll have actual data shortly.
For a 40°F cold-soaked battery, it took it least 10 minutes this weekend on my (non-Ludicrous) P85D. I stopped watching after the 3rd of 4th song on Slacker.