Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe someone can chart this data with my previous equivalent set.

Here you go:
Capture.PNG

I need that $295 OBDII CAN interface that you got, right? Very tempted.

That's probably the easiest way right now, for sure, since it comes with the right connector and all. You can probably find a much cheaper CAN logger somewhere and do up your own connector though. The connector used by the diagnostic port is like $2 on Digikey.

The difference between the L and non L is more from lower SOCs. 60 to 70% has a difference of 51 KW pre vs post upgrade while the 442 KW @ 88% - 410 KW @ 88% is only 32KW. Again, this is is before and after without max battery. 51KW is just about a 50 hp at the wheels different so this is a pretty big change. It's really noticeable compared to pre upgrade in this range of SOC.

Maybe someone can chart this data with my previous equivalent set. ...

Here is your latest data on that Pwr-SOC chart I previously posted:

TeslaPwr15a.jpg

All but your first three data points are included for the green curve. I'm pretty sure that for those three points, the battery was not warm enough. For example, the 79% and 77% has the same max power. I've seen this effect quite dramatically with my P90DL operating in 32 degrees (more details here). At that temp it takes around 15% battery usage to get it warm enough to approach max power. I think in your case at 50 degrees it probably took around 10%. The other three points (60, 70, 90) are from previous posters in this thread which shows that other ludicrous upgrades are tracking close to yours.

Your point about the larger difference at 60% to 70% can been seen in comparing the shape of the P85 Non-L to P85 L. There is an opposite bowing effect in the curves mid-range which accounts for the larger difference. I do not yet have enough data on the P90DL to see if it has a similar bowing effect. For now it is only a three point curve.

Bottom line is that the P85D ludicrous upgrade is very impressive and provides about 95% of the P90D performance.

Last edited:
Here is your latest data on that Pwr-SOC chart I previously posted:

View attachment 105304

All but your first three data points are included for the green curve. I'm pretty sure that for those three points, the battery was not warm enough. For example, the 79% and 77% has the same max power. I've seen this effect quite dramatically with my P90DL operating in 32 degrees (more details here). At that temp it takes around 15% battery usage to get it warm enough to approach max power. I think in your case at 50 degrees it probably took around 10%. The other three points (60, 70, 90) are from previous posters in this thread which shows that other ludicrous upgrades are tracking close to yours.

Your point about the larger difference at 60% to 70% can been seen in comparing the shape of the P85 Non-L to P85 L. There is an opposite bowing effect in the curves mid-range which accounts for the larger difference. I do not yet have enough data on the P90DL to see if it has a similar bowing effect. For now it is only a three point curve.

Bottom line is that the P85D ludicrous upgrade is very impressive and provides about 95% of the P90D performance.

Well, thanks to all the data from the early adopters its becoming pretty clear that the Ludicrous upgrade is a thing. ~50 hp increase in usable power across a wide range of speeds and SOCs. Interesting.

The P90DL advantage over P85DL of ~5% is easily accounted for by the increased capacity (to be expected if individual cell internal resistances are similar across the two packs).
But its beginning to feel like this drivetrain architecture (7104 cell pack and dual motor arrangement) is close to being optimized ... it would seem significant HW changes will be required to
realize much more of the inflated "motor power" figures. (Internal cabling, cooling, cell chemistry for long life above ~5C discharge rates, etc). Is the next performance jump the
Roadster 3.0?

And now (somewhere at Tesla) a clock is ticking on the "6 month upgrade special" ... decision time approaching, to upgrade or sit on the wallet. The qualitative reports to date have been pretty persuasive, but what about the mysterious 10.9 sec quarter claims ? Does Tesla have another trick up their sleeves ?

but what about the mysterious 10.9 sec quarter claims ? Does Tesla have another trick up their sleeves ?

Quite likely an appropriate footnote is coming "soon" explaining how 10.9s was measured differently than other 1/4 mile numbers, similar to "0-60 Performance model acceleration measured using 1ft rollout" or "Battery limited power at the shaft vs. motor power".

Back to the original thread topic of "Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling"...

I just got great news from Tesla: They called to tell me I'm #1 on the list for a Ludicrous upgrade to my P85D at the Tysons Corner, Virginia (Tyco Rd.) Tesla service center in the DC metro area. I'm now scheduled for a Ludicrous upgrade next week January 5th. Tesla is flying in technicians from California to teach the local VA techs how to perform the upgrade, and my car will be the first upgraded at my local service center. Apparently this trip by CA techs was scheduled at the last minute, so I'll be given a free Enterprise rental car (instead of a Tesla loaner) during the upgrade procedure, which may take multiple days.

Might this be one of the first Ludicrous upgrades performed outside of Fremont?

Can't wait...

They called to tell me I'm #1 on the list for a Ludicrous upgrade to my P85D at the Tysons Corner, Virginia {snip}

Who called you? Freemont directly? Your local SC? Or the Tysons Corner one ? (Sorry, these may be the same for you).

Just trying to figure out how this works... the Chicago SC folks seemed surprised when I mentioned that others were actually being done outside of Freemont here.

MODS: should we have some kind of sticky post that says where the confirmed upgrade locations are?