Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely appreciate Tesla allowing this upgrade. This is a rare situation in the tech or auto industries where they let you upgrade to the newer tech and higher performance for a small fraction of the cost of trading in and buying new. In fact, my 2014 P85DL is arguably better than the 2016 P90DL as mine has the Performance Plus suspension and the NextGen rear seats which are no longer available. And I theoretically should be able to upgrade to a 95, 100, 105, or 110kwh battery in the coming years.

Exactly my thinking :wink:

It sounds like you two would have been first in line to paint Tom Sawyer's fence.

In Chicago, got the call last Wednesday, went in on Friday afternoon, all done and ready for pickup midday Monday. Completely smooth really happy with the process and the upgrade although I haven't been pushing it too hard with snow-tires on the cars, as well as the dustings of snow we have been consistently having since my upgrade.

If by paint Tom Sawyers fence you mean have a car that has features that are not currently available, + type suspension and matching next Gen rear seats.

Um, yeah, that's exactly what I meant.

Seriously, I consider MarcG a TMC friend, and we agree on a lot of things. I don't really know commasign very well. We just happen to disagree pretty radically on this topic.

Chicago has it down to a single overnight stay now- went in at 5p and it was done by 1a that morning. They did a great job, and IMHO... it is absolutely a worthy upgrade. I can't wait for the roads to get de-salted so I can actually apply some torque.

I will share I never used to be able to empty that little tray below the 17" dash from 30MPH just by using the Go Pedal. :biggrin:

(Also got to drool on some Sig MX's they were prepping for delivery).

If by paint Tom Sawyers fence you mean have a car that has features that are not currently available, + type suspension and matching next Gen rear seats.
Um, yeah, that's exactly what I meant.

Seriously, I consider MarcG a TMC friend, and we agree on a lot of things. I don't really know commasign very well. We just happen to disagree pretty radically on this topic.

Andy, didn't you also get the rear next-gen seats? And having had your P85D delivered in Dec 2014 with smart air suspension, you should also have the + type components.

And now that you're also on the waitlist, you'll be getting Ludicrous as well - so doesn't that mean you'd also be first in line with us, painting Tom Sawyer's fence? :wink:

Andy, didn't you also get the rear next-gen seats? And having had your P85D delivered in Dec 2014 with smart air suspension, you should also have the + type components.

And now that you're also on the waitlist, you'll be getting Ludicrous as well - so doesn't that mean you'd also be first in line with us, painting Tom Sawyer's fence? :wink:

My "Um, Yeah" comment was sarcastic. I thought that would be clear, as the summary I was agreeing to was not at all what I meant by my original comment.

Yes, I am on the waiting list, and did get my P85D in December 2014, so have the plus suspension and the rear next gen seats.

My original point was that you guys seem thrilled about having the privilege of paying for something that in my opinion and the opinion of many others we thought we had already paid for and should have had at time of delivery, or, in the very least, should have had provided at no charge later.

My original point was that you guys seem thrilled about having the privilege of paying for something that in my opinion and the opinion of many others we thought we had already paid for and should have had at time of delivery, or, in the very least, should have had provided at no charge later.

I wasn't exactly disagreeing with those points. I've been following the various P85D horsepower and "performance at high speed" promised firmware upgrade threads. Yes, there have been communication blunders and broken promises. My point was that Tesla could have chosen not to offer the retrofit at all. $5000 probably is the break even cost (given the half year it took to develop the retrofit, train the staff around the country, and the 2+ business days of labor to takes to install). Offering it for free would have been a nice gesture but wouldn't have made any financial sense.

I wasn't exactly disagreeing with those points. I've been following the various P85D horsepower and "performance at high speed" promised firmware upgrade threads. Yes, there have been communication blunders and broken promises. My point was that Tesla could have chosen not to offer the retrofit at all. $5000 probably is the break even cost (given the half year it took to develop the retrofit, train the staff around the country, and the 2+ business days of labor to takes to install). Offering it for free would have been a nice gesture but wouldn't have made any financial sense.

I understand what you are saying. I just don't necessarily agree with all of it.

First of all, sometimes in business when you have made a mistake fixing that mistake has costs associated with it. So while it may not make financial sense for Tesla to offer the upgrade at no charge from that standpoint, it may when viewing it as righting a wrong. And purely from a dollars and sense angle, how much bad will was generated from this versus how much good will could have been generated if it had been handled differently, and what are the costs and values associated with that bad will and good will respectively? Those are hard figures to quantify, but they could very well be large figures.

I understand what you are saying. I just don't necessarily agree with all of it.

First of all, sometimes in business when you have made a mistake fixing that mistake has costs associated with it. So while it may not make financial sense for Tesla to offer the upgrade at no charge from that standpoint, it may when viewing it as righting a wrong. And purely from a dollars and sense angle, how much bad will was generated from this versus how much good will could have been generated if it had been handled differently, and what are the costs and values associated with that bad will and good will respectively? Those are hard figures to quantify, but they could very well be large figures.

To me the HP issue is not a big deal in that the cars performance is as advertised. It does 0-60 in 3.2 and quarter in 10.7 in insane mode. The bigger argument would be that the P85D does not get the rated miles that were originally stated. Going to Ludicrous mode increases the performance significantly although not up to the P90D and the P90D seems to fall a bit short of what was originally advertised. I obviously think it is worthwhile or I would be getting it done. As far as my upgrade they are still having problems and are now talking about the possibility requesting Tesla provide a loaner battery pack and sending mine to engineering for analysis.

Well, I plunked the $500 deposit despite not being an original owner, and just got the email affirming the retro-fit "was only extended to P85D owners who had placed their original vehicle orders prior to the cut off time of 11am PST on Friday, 7/17/15". I suppose I could play semantics and say my original vehicle order was placed by me, in May, but I see where they're going.

Agree that we'll never know the true costs vs benefits of either scenario. I would speculate that the engineers and money folks at Tesla probably went nuts the moment Elon mentioned that they would offer the retrofit. And they may still be going nuts now given all the issues they're having with the retrofits.

- - - Updated - - -

To me the HP issue is not a big deal in that the cars performance is as advertised. It does 0-60 in 3.2 and quarter in 10.7 in insane mode.

10.7s quarter mile?!?! I think you mean 11.7s. ;)

I was put "on the list" to get info right after the announcement at two different service centers (and one of them I had to do this twice) but never heard anything at all. I was never contacted when the deposit showed up online nor anything about where I was on any waiting lists or anything. If it wasn't for the forums I would be completely out of the loop.

However I just got a call from the Marietta GA service center today and they scheduled my upgrade for Feb 16th. They will drive a loaner down to my work and pick up my car and get it back to me the same day or the next day they said. They want the range down to <50 miles when they pick it up.

Picked up my car this morning. Haven't had much time to push it, but love the extra little kick. I guess if Insane mode is "kick", then Ludicrous is "kick +".

Definitely appreciate Tesla allowing this upgrade. This is a rare situation in the tech or auto industries where they let you upgrade to the newer tech and higher performance for a small fraction of the cost of trading in and buying new. In fact, my 2014 P85DL is arguably better than the 2016 P90DL as mine has the Performance Plus suspension and the NextGen rear seats which are no longer available. And I theoretically should be able to upgrade to a 95, 100, 105, or 110kwh battery in the coming years.

i'm in the same situation but have a question:

say I do the Ludicrous update to my P85D. then in 2017 they come out with a 100 pack, and they make it available for retrofit.

will my 2014 P85D turned 2014 P100D be exactly as fast as a brand-new 2017 P100D?

Andy, just to set the record straight: when you and I (and all the other early P85D adopters) bought our cars, the advertised 0-60 mph was 3.2 seconds, and the car delivered that.
The 1/4-mile wasn't published until after Ludicrous came out, so let's leave it out of this discussion for now.

At at some point, and to the surprise of many of us, a software update lowered the 0-60mph down to 3.1 seconds.
When Ludicrous was announced, the $5,000 upgrade lowered it even further to 2.9 seconds.

So as far as that metric is concerned, I disagree with you that we are "paying for something that [...] we should have have had at delivery", since we already got more than we thought we'd get (3.1 vs 3.2 seconds in the 0-60mph sprint).

Now, as far as the higher speed performance is concerned, I agree with you that we rightly expected a 691hp car to have better acceleration at speed.
Even though Tesla correctly advertised the P85D as having 691hp *motor* power, they probably should have also put a disclaimer that you can't get all those ponies to the motors due to battery limitation, or better yet shown the battery-limited peak power as they do now.

Anyway, my point is that for $5,000 you get more than was originally advertised in the 0-60mph, and you get higher-speed acceleration that is more in-line with how the P85D should have performed at delivery - although that is harder to quantify since high-speed acceleration (e.g. 50-80mph) figures were never published.

Some of us see the upgrade as a huge benefit, some see it as a waste of money, some see it as an upgrade that should have been made free to restore faith and expectations.
Since it's hard, if not impossible, to separate the 0-60mph benefit from the high-speed acceleration benefit, I understand and appreciate Tesla's effort it providing both benefit to us at a price that probably just covers their cost.

As my signature indicates, I am not trying to argue with you (or anyone) at all, but would just like present some facts that may help you see why some of us view this upgrade as a valuable benefit.