Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It'll be interesting to see what the maxes are at equivalent states of charges with the battery just heated to more normal operating temperatures (Max Battery Power off, with the car having been driven a bit.)

Since the driver page illustrates specific times to "ready", it would be best if folks could take a read where 30 minutes, to "1+ hour" are left, give their state of charge (hopefully ~90%) and then see what KWs can be produced.

On a related note, I'm mildly surprised they still offer it in the on-line store.

I've been back and forth a bit with Tesla, only about getting Luda, not as an original owner. The last emailer, by the name "Tesla", told me the reason I was cancelled was "not enough stock". The previous reason concluded ineligability "at this time". All this correspondence has been outside the 6 month window, and at least indicates they are keeping their options open for those outside the "customers who placed a P85D Model S order through Tesla". This was recently reworded from what I believe used to say something like "original vehicle orders placed before 7/17/15". Anyway, the above suggests we may have bare shelves in CA, if your name isn't already on a kit.

For what it's worth, I dropped mine off at Fremont SC with 12% SoC at 8:20am this morning. I'm in for annual service as well as L upgrade, so I wouldn't be surprised to have to keep my loaner for the rest of the week. As it turns out, they did not even get around to opening the door until 4:55pm... at which point they moved it to another nearby parking spot for the night. :frown:

Take this with a grain of salt, but my service advisor this morning said that they were in the final stages of significantly accelerating the L upgrade retrofit process and that after that was finalized, they'd be rolling the new process out to most service centers over the next couple weeks. No word on whether mine was getting the old or accelerated process...

For me, I dropped mine off in the morning with 10% SoC. They got to it at about 1PM. They dropped the pack soon after. They closed at 5PM. They left the pack out and the car offline (12V disconnected) overnight. They had the pack reinstalled and 12V back online at about 11AM the next day. They did a firmware update, charged the car to 100% on their supercharger, did a 20 mile test drive (required per the service procedure), verified the logs looked good, and the car was done and parked at a HPWC around 2PM.

The firmware update/redeploy took about 90 minutes. Charging to 100% took about the same. So, there's 3 hours. That leaves about 5-6 hours of estimated maximum actual labor time.

Since the driver page illustrates specific times to "ready", it would be best if folks could take a read where 30 minutes, to "1+ hour" are left, give their state of charge (hopefully ~90%) and then see what KWs can be produced.

I've been back and forth a bit with Tesla, only about getting Luda, not as an original owner. The last emailer, by the name "Tesla", told me the reason I was cancelled was "not enough stock". The previous reason concluded ineligability "at this time". All this correspondence has been outside the 6 month window, and at least indicates they are keeping their options open for those outside the "customers who placed a P85D Model S order through Tesla". This was recently reworded from what I believe used to say something like "original vehicle orders placed before 7/17/15". Anyway, the above suggests we may have bare shelves in CA, if your name isn't already on a kit.

i haven't read thru this whole thread but I was told that only original owners can get ludi. Is that not the case?

Mine got upgraded today in Seattle SC. Similar experience to wk: Dropped off at 8am with < 20% SoC, car was test driven at 2pm, though with SoC only slightly higher (27%) and < 10 miles. I see a few 0-60 launches, and was called approx 4pm that the car was ready, though still charging if I wanted it tonight. Unfortunately, I was unable to collect it tonight and it's sitting at 80% SoC on HWPC for me to collect at 8am tomorrow (um, Tuesday, so technically today ;-)).

wk, is the charge to 100% a requirement? - do you have that bulletin? I ask as I'm a Guinea pig here as Seattle's just starting this. I could always remotely set the charge limit to 100% and time it so it's ready when I arrive I guess? ;-)

Dropping mine off this afternoon after work so they can start on it first thing tomorrow AM.

- - - Updated - - -

i haven't read thru this whole thread but I was told that only original owners can get ludi. Is that not the case?

That is Tesla's stated policy. I haven't seen evidence of anyone with a used P85D getting the upgrade, but I know some people are lobbying Tesla. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh it seemed that a bunch of people posted now it's slowed to a trickle. Still patiently waiting for Philadelphia to get some going.

Understood. I'm surprised to hear that Philly hasn't started doing them. I would have for sure thought you guys would have them before little 'ol Nashville.

wk, is the charge to 100% a requirement? - do you have that bulletin? I ask as I'm a Guinea pig here as Seattle's just starting this. I could always remotely set the charge limit to 100% and time it so it's ready when I arrive I guess? ;-)

I don't have the bulletin, but I've seen it. It said "fully charged" for the test drive. I guess that's open to interpretation. My service center interpreted it as 100%.

Side note - It's sort of funny having "Inverse Range Anxiety". Since Sunday I've been doing all sorts of things (mostly very fun) to drain the battery. I'm right at 70 rated miles now and should be able to give it to the SC later today well under 40.

Second that. Went for a drive last night just to drain the battery. I then factored in vampire drain, distance to SC and colder weather to ensure I'd get there under the prescribed threshold. Funny how slower the battery drains when you don't need the range!

I don't have the bulletin, but I've seen it. It said "fully charged" for the test drive. I guess that's open to interpretation. My service center interpreted it as 100%.

Thanks. In two minds whether to mention it, I don't want them to keep it any longer and I'd prefer to do the 100% test runs :)

Also, as much as I love the older p85+ loaner I got, the p85d is significantly better from my perspective in this area due to AWD, autopilot hw, higher res IC, etc. Don't know if this was purposeful, though genius idea that reinforces existing purchase. Hopefully p85 owners get p85Ds as this'll entice them to update.

What you were told seems correct. I was trying to reflect that Tesla is hedging itself the opportunity to open up sales to customers, who aren't original owners. If things slow at the service centers, I can see them opening it up. Just speculating/hoping.

Thanks. In two minds whether to mention it, I don't want them to keep it any longer and I'd prefer to do the 100% test runs :)

Also, as much as I love the older p85+ loaner I got, the p85d is significantly better from my perspective in this area due to AWD, autopilot hw, higher res IC, etc. Don't know if this was purposeful, though genius idea that reinforces existing purchase. Hopefully p85 owners get p85Ds as this'll entice them to update.

Haha, I'm driving a BMW 528 from enterprise while my P85D (no L) is in for service. Yep, you guessed it, I've been spoiled by the Tesla driving experience. I used to think the 5 series (at least at the higher end) would be fun to own ... now I just want my car back please!

Update from Nashville - My car is in for the retrofit. I dropped it off with 30 miles of range. I had no idea how slow the car becomes at low SOC. I generally operate between 60-90% and it definitely slows down the lower it gets.

As for the retrofit - they took it offline almost immediately. By the time I got home in my sweet Lincoln Loaner SUV, it was already off line from Visible Tesla and the iPhone App. I'll check again later tonight but my bet is not much happens until tomorrow. Tomorrow being my scheduled day to have the work done.

They were circumspect about exactly what's been going on with the retrofit locally. I believe mine is the second one they have done. They also have a long list, are being asked frequently about status, and said parts are slow to come by. All of this seems consistent with what we hear on TMC but I was kind of surprised that Nashville has a long list. I honestly didn't know there were all that many P85Ds in Nashville.

I wonder what percentage of P85Ds are on the list nationally to be upgraded. Must be a fair number since the SCs all seem to have a big backlog.

YIKES and terrifying IMHO. I called the Fremont SC, reported this and they said to get the car to the ROCKLIN SC (about 35 miles from my house" for tire replacement. I had the tires rechecked at my nearby America's Tire which was on the way to Rocklin but only a mile from my house and they confirmed how DANGEROUS and dicey it was to even get the car to ROCKLIN.

Did you get a loaner for the loaner :scared: