Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update from Nashville - Car went off-line some time yesterday, came back on-line early afternoon today. Software update to 2.12.45 at 2:30 or so. Around 5 pm they supercharged it and then I got an e-mail that they were having issues and will let me know tomorrow how things are progressing. All very polite and nice, we shall see tomorrow. Seems like it isn't that uncommon for this process to get a hitch or two.
How excited are you to get back behind the wheel? I was so jazzed that I planned a trip during the upgrade so I wouldn't just sit by the phone, waiting for them to call.

Scheduled upgrade on Feb 1st for today Feb 24th. I left the car at the service center at 7 AM and was given a loaner. I was told the upgrade may be complete by the weekend but that work would likely not begin until thursday. I received a call about 4 PM and was told that a national "FREEZE" had been placed on all scheduled Ludicrous upgrades this afternoon and I would need to pick up my car. I was told Tesla would contact me in the future to again schedule the upgrade. Is anyone else aware of this national "FREEZE" ? I was given no information with regard to when upgrades might resume.

Same here. Had mine returned today. All seems fine, minus the tough time they seemed to have with the firmware part... Perhaps they are halting until such time the process of upgrading is smoother. Would much prefer that over an technical issue with the upgrades themselves.

Who knows. Getting a straight answer from this company is sometimes an exercise in futility. I took my car into Fremont SC Monday at 8am. It's Wednesday evening, and they haven't touched the car, other than plugging it in and charging it way up, making my careful discharge regimen over several days completely moot. I was told on Monday morning that they were finalizing some updated L upgrade process that would make it a lot faster to do in the next couple weeks, so that *could* be the reason for the freeze. It was not communicated to me at the time that my car would be affected by that change, but who knows -- maybe my car is in line as one of the guinea pigs before it gets rolled out wider.

Hopefully the freeze is not because someone with P85DL blew out some part of their battery/drivetrain. Or maybe Tesla decided to build out their reserves of refurbs for warranty work for the 100,000 85KWhr cars out on the roads today, so the new, faster upgrade procedure is to to quietly swap the battery for a new 90KWhr one?:tongue:

How excited are you to get back behind the wheel? I was so jazzed that I planned a trip during the upgrade so I wouldn't just sit by the phone, waiting for them to call.

Pretty excited. Disappointed the weather is crappy and will hamper my initial experience but sunny days are right around the corner down here. I'm hoping that the difference is fairly noticeable. For $5K Î'd like to press the accelerator and feel a difference. Not a difference that I can see on a graph and know objectively is there - but one that clearly is there subjectively too. I'll be bummed if I am unsure about the difference - I don't want that little bit of internal doubt. I put trust in the comments from others who already have it and that at every turn Tesla has over delivered against my expectations. The graphs and charts just don't help me that much. I need to feel it.

The "National Freeze" worries me a little. I'd hate to hear today that they are going to stop my upgrade. Seems unlikely, but that would suck. For those of us on a lease the upgrade is a melting ice cube. Every day that it is delayed makes it relatively more expensive and harder to justify.

I would think the national freeze is due to the new process and/or the issues they've had with firmware updates during the upgrade (Only a few here have mentioned the issue, but if a few here did, there must be a lot more out there!) Tesla probably realized they're spending more time than budgeted and figured out a better way and said STOP until we roll this out so we're not wasting time.

Oh it seemed that a bunch of people posted now it's slowed to a trickle. Still patiently waiting for Philadelphia to get some going.

Devon service center did their first upgrade 2/8. Not sure how many they've done since then, but rumor has it they had about 20ish to do total last I heard.

Pretty excited. Disappointed the weather is crappy and will hamper my initial experience but sunny days are right around the corner down here. I'm hoping that the difference is fairly noticeable. For $5K Î'd like to press the accelerator and feel a difference. Not a difference that I can see on a graph and know objectively is there - but one that clearly is there subjectively too. I'll be bummed if I am unsure about the difference - I don't want that little bit of internal doubt. I put trust in the comments from others who already have it and that at every turn Tesla has over delivered against my expectations. The graphs and charts just don't help me that much. I need to feel it.

The "National Freeze" worries me a little. I'd hate to hear today that they are going to stop my upgrade. Seems unlikely, but that would suck. For those of us on a lease the upgrade is a melting ice cube. Every day that it is delayed makes it relatively more expensive and harder to justify.
I think the difference is very noticeable when you're at 90% or more SOC. And it has noticeably more guts when you're say, doing 30mph, and want to get past someone on a two lane road. I can't fathom how the upgrade would possibly fail your "butt dyno" test.

You should have flown out here and driven mine first, now that I think about it, just to get a feel for it beforehand. That would have been cool.

Lola - Thanks. Glad to hear you think I will not be disappointed.

Yo - I wish we had thought of that. I probably would have come out there for that!

Update - They say I can pick my car up after lunch. They have charged it up to 90% a few times already this AM. Interestingly VT and the app show the 90% charge range as 229 miles. That's a few more than I've ever seen at that SOC. I'll post a write up about my butt dyno opinion later today.

Lola - Thanks. Glad to hear you think I will not be disappointed.

Yo - I wish we had thought of that. I probably would have come out there for that!

Update - They say I can pick my car up after lunch. They have charged it up to 90% a few times already this AM. Interestingly VT and the app show the 90% charge range as 229 miles. That's a few more than I've ever seen at that SOC. I'll post a write up about my butt dyno opinion later today.

So I got mine back yesterday, in the middle of a snow storm here in lovely Montreal. Couldn't try it much...

Still slippery/wet today (and I have winter tires on) but I launched at a red light this morning on a fairly dry road. SOC was 90%. I can tell you the car CLEARLY has more power. The car wasn't lazy before by any stretch of the imagination of course but now, it feels like it wants to burst off. Like there is a ton of power waiting to be actioned behind the accelerator pedal.

Got no graph or fancy analysis to back it up but my subjective call is, big improvement. I'm terribly happy with my decision to upgrade.

Can't imagine what it'll be with my 21" performance tires in a few weeks.