Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only halfway feasible way I see of doing it for "free, is a "buy something, and get a generous coupon/discount off of your next purchase" type of arrangement.

And even that offer would have to be on a very limited basis, i.e. only a few people would qualify for it, for the reason you already alluded to, which is why I would like to know how many cars would even be eligible for such a hypothetical offer.

I could be wrong, and I'm just SWAGing here, 1500-2000 cars tops would be in that P85Ds built up to 7/17/15 window???

Anyone else have any estimates?

Another, more expensive for Tesla but limiting the SC workload, way to do it would be to offer either a free ludicrous upgrade or a $5K refund for all those who paid $20K extra for the P with the passing speed upgrade but never got it (think back, S85 to P85 used to be a $10K upgrade to get the performance rear motor, so there should still be profit there today at $15K). That said I agree with lola, it would be a hard pill to swallow in an earnings call and may hurt Tesla stock more than it would create good press. So that leaves me divided, while I'm not happy to pay for this upgrade, I also wouldn't want Tesla as a company to get screwed on the investor front (and no, I don't own any TSLA stock). Dilemma, dilemma...

As for number estimates, I remember trying to estimate based on available data back when the announcement came out and I think I came out at ~1600 cars, but I don't remember whether that was US only or worldwide.

Only halfway feasible way I see of doing it for "free, is a "buy something, and get a generous coupon/discount off of your next purchase" type of arrangement.

And even that offer would have to be on a very limited basis, i.e. only a few people would qualify for it, for the reason you already alluded to, which is why I would like to know how many cars would even be eligible for such a hypothetical offer.

I could be wrong, and I'm just SWAGing here, 1500-2000 cars tops would be in that P85Ds built up to 7/17/15 window???

Anyone else have any estimates?

Seems like it would be a lot higher than that. I think they sold north of 25K cars from the launch of P85D until end of Q2 2015. I'm guessing the number of P85Ds must have been north of 5K cars and even that sounds low to me. But maybe my SWAG is way off.

I just picked up from Fremont today. Confirmed I got the new bolts. Got it back at ~%70 SoC in the middle of heavy rush hour on I-880, so will have to leave testing till the weekend.

Reasonably certain I got in when i did because I bugged them until they responded with a date. I made my deposit Sept 26th.

File_002.jpg

Last edited:
Request:
Anyone with a recent L upgrade, documentation of your previous battery/part number, check and see if current battery pack has same identifying number(s)? I am curious 1) if they're changing our part number as they update the L components 2) if they have decided to simply swap out battery packs? Option #2 seems silly to me, but a whole lot of folks are posting that their 80%/90%/100% SOC is translating to a slightly higher miles. While this is likely because the drop to <30% SOC to full is in some way resetting the computers' calculation watts/mile, I can't help but inquire as to did you actually gain kWh?

Request:
Anyone with a recent L upgrade, documentation of your previous battery/part number, check and see if current battery pack has same identifying number(s)? I am curious 1) if they're changing our part number as they update the L components 2) if they have decided to simply swap out battery packs? Option #2 seems silly to me, but a whole lot of folks are posting that their 80%/90%/100% SOC is translating to a slightly higher miles. While this is likely because the drop to <30% SOC to full is in some way resetting the computers' calculation watts/mile, I can't help but inquire as to did you actually gain kWh?

Could also be because something in the BMS is reset when they do the Ludicrous upgrade.

Actually, I'm scheduled for March 7th at Burlingame - so worth a shot.

Whaaat!! Ok I need to call my service advisor and rant a little... he specifically told me a couple months ago they weren't going to be doing them!

David, when did you place your deposit? Did you specify the Burlingame SC from the time your placed the order, or did you switch from another SC at some point?

I put my name on the Burlingame list a long time ago (around the announcement) but didn't put down the deposit until fairly recently.

FWIW, my advisor didn't think they were going to do it either until around a month ago when they finally got more info from Tesla HQ.

Whaaat!! Ok I need to call my service advisor and rant a little... he specifically told me a couple months ago they weren't going to be doing them!

David, when did you place your deposit? Did you specify the Burlingame SC from the time your placed the order, or did you switch from another SC at some point?

I put my name on the Burlingame list a long time ago (around the announcement) but didn't put down the deposit until fairly recently.

FWIW, my advisor didn't think they were going to do it either until around a month ago when they finally got more info from Tesla HQ.

Thanks for the details. I'm bummed my advisor didn't let me know they would start doing the upgrades... I'll ping him today or Monday.

Hey Marc, please let us know how it goes. It's presumably Karl that you are going to ping?!

I'd prefer Burlingame too to Fremont. Based on what you hear, I'll reach out to Andrew O at Burlingame.

I just called Burlingame but Karl is off today. Spoke to Clare (receptionist) and she confirmed that they're doing L upgrades, but that I would have to place a deposit online and specify Burlingame as my SC to get on their waitlist.

Of course that's too late, as I already placed my deposit over 2 months ago and had specified Fremont as the SC. Clare wasn't able to do anything about this, so I'll just have to wait to speak with Karl on Monday.

GG, please let me know if you get any more details from Andrew about moving you to the Burlingame waitlist. Thanks!