Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Ludicrous upgrade was installed yesterday in Santa Barbara and then they kept it overnight to charge. My S85 loaner just did not feel the same as it had the old seats, no AP and no sudden start. I was charged the 8% sales tax for the $4,500 remaining. My red heartbeat looked great after their washing it.

The car is quicker but I believe in testing so I am taking it tomorrow to 1/8 mile strip in Irwindale and Saturday to 1/4 mile strip in Fontana. Since I have been at both places with my stock P85D and will have the same charge as before that should provide a good comparison. I will post the results in the other thread.

My Ludicrous upgrade was installed yesterday in Santa Barbara and then they kept it overnight to charge. My S85 loaner just did not feel the same as it had the old seats, no AP and no sudden start. I was charged the 8% sales tax for the $4,500 remaining. My red heartbeat looked great after their washing it.

The car is quicker but I believe in testing so I am taking it tomorrow to 1/8 mile strip in Irwindale and Saturday to 1/4 mile strip in Fontana. Since I have been at both places with my stock P85D and will have the same charge as before that should provide a good comparison. I will post the results in the other thread.

I picked mine up yesterday from Burbank and they didn't charge me for sales tax.

My Ludicrous upgrade was installed yesterday in Santa Barbara...<SNIP> I was charged the 8% sales tax for the $4,500 remaining.

I picked mine up yesterday from Burbank and they didn't charge me for sales tax.

This isn't inconsistent policy or anything like that. It's just that these things vary from state to state, and...oh...wait.

OK. Better scratch that first part.

• Funny
Reactions: tezzla
I received a call from the service center a little while ago letting me know that the firmware upgrade for Ludicrous failed overnight, and thus my car's battery also did not charge. They are trying to get in touch with the mother ship to straighten things out.

I am a bit worried because if memory serves, the failed firmware install is the first sign that there was something wrong with the upgrade. I'll have to go back and read through this thread again to see how most of those wound up being resolved.

I received a call from the service center a little while ago letting me know that the firmware upgrade for Ludicrous failed overnight, and thus my car's battery also did not charge. They are trying to get in touch with the mother ship to straighten things out.

I am a bit worried because if memory serves, the failed firmware install is the first sign that there was something wrong with the upgrade. I'll have to go back and read through this thread again to see how most of those wound up being resolved.

Sorry to hear this Andy.

I just got word from Cleveland that mine is ready and I've had them put it on the transport truck and I am headed home to meet them.

I got a message yesterday afternoon from an app on my phone that the software had uploaded successfully.

Also, they charged me sales tax of $360.00.

Anyway, I hope they get it sorted out for you soon.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this Andy.

I just got word from Cleveland that mine is ready and I've had them put it on the transport truck and I am headed home to meet them.

I got a message yesterday afternoon from on an app on my phone that the software had upload successfully.

Also, they charged me sales tax of $360.00.

Anyway, I hope they get it sorted out for you soon.

Thanks. Glad to hear that your upgrade went well.

I never get any information from the car when it is at the service center, as the people that transport it are very good about turning off remote access as soon as they load it on the truck.

I'll update this thread when I get more information.

Thanks everyone for keeping the upgrade news (and performance reviews) coming!
It makes the wait easier.

As an aside though, I question the validity of the upgrade procedure repeatedly quoted here, in that the upgrade kit will be send from Tesla HQ to the service centers, earmarked for specific cars. The reason I say that is because I was given an appointment almost two months in advance and was told that they would squeeze me in if an earlier appointment became available.

Thanks everyone for keeping the upgrade news (and performance reviews) coming!
It makes the wait easier.

As an aside though, I question the validity of the upgrade procedure repeatedly quoted here, in that the upgrade kit will be send from Tesla HQ to the service centers, earmarked for specific cars. The reason I say that is because I was given an appointment almost two months in advance and was told that they would squeeze me in if an earlier appointment became available.

Just had mine scheduled for April 30th in Brandon, Florida.

It will be fascinating to see how noticeable the change is.

I was told to bring the car in with a 30-50% SOC, and that it would take two days.

I called back on Valentine's day weekend, Friday, that would have been the 12th of February and was told that I should know something within the next 2-3 weeks.

Lo and behold, someone in here who put down their deposit after me, had their update done prior to mine at my SC. That 2-3 weeks came and went.

I called again, this time about 6 weeks or so later instead of the 3 weeks and was told that the parts bundle necessary for my upgrade, had come in, but all of the techs were in Cali, presumably having something to do with the big Model 3 announcement, or some other kind of training. I can't imagine what.

They picked up my car on 4/12, gave me a loaner P85+, nice car I might add, and they got to work on my car immediately after receiving it, draining the battery the night of 4/12. To their credit, they wasted no time. Got to work on it the morning of 4/13, Wednesday, charged it back up the night of 4/13 and called me this morning 4/14 and told me that it was ready to go.

My invoice breaks down like this I x'ed out the numbers as I don't know what part of this is info that I may not want out there:

Concern: Customer states: Additional Items for Ludicrous Mode Retrofit

Pay Type: Goodwill

Corrections: P85D Ludicrous Speed Retrofit, HV Battery 1.5, Performed at Service Center

(With In-Line HVIL Activation Cover)

Performed P85D ludicrous speed retrofit. Upgraded Battery internals, Replaced fuse link,

Performed config, installed ludicrous badge. Verified function and tested operation.

Parts Replaced or Added

Switches: xxxxxxxxx/xxxxx

fuse: xxxxxxxxxxx

Battery: xxxxxxx-E

Part Quantity

FIELD KIT,LUDICROUS UPGRADE, NO

SHUNT (xxxxxxxxx-xxx-x)

P90D LUDICROUS CHROME BAR BADGE

(xxxxxxxx-xx-x)

SCREW, M5X0.8X12, BUTTON HEAD,

TORX, STEEL 8.8, ZINC WITH PATCHx
(xxxxxxxxxx-xx-x) 6

BOLT, M14x2.00x50MM ZINC ALUMINUM

(xxxxxxxx-x-xx-x)

SEAT BACK GROMMET - LARGE (xxxxxxxx-xx-x) 2

Total Labor & Miscellaneous

Items

Total Parts 5,000.00

Shipping 0.00

Discount (500.00)

Referral Credit 0.00

Subtotal 4,500.00

Sales Tax 360.00

TOTAL AMOUNT 4,860.00

Total Paid 4,860.00

Last edited:
I'll update this thread when I get more information.

I missed a call from my service center just before they closed this evening. Apparently the firmware issue with my car is resolved, and the car was charging. The message said that they just needed to do an alignment tomorrow, and then work out getting the car back to me. (Based on a call earlier in the day, when they still didn't know what the issue was with the car, it sounds like it may be a few days before they have availability to get the car back to me.)

I'll call tomorrow morning to get the scoop, but it sounds like I should be driving a Ludicrous P85D some time this week.

Reactions: tezzla
Well it's good that they have you scheduled Bob.

But comments like yours and my own experience make me wonder where we would be had we not picked up the phone ourselves.

Just when were they going to tell us?

After a couple of days, I think that Ludicrous is the best deal going out there right now.

My car has the 19s on it. I had considered going with the 21in wheel and tire package and moving up from the 19s.

Tesla wants more for it than they want for Ludicrous and the 21in wheel and tire package is more bling than it is anything but else.

They want $6k plus shipping and tax for it.

IMHO, Ludicrous is a deal at $5K plus any applicable tax.

But I do think that they could do a better job of contacting people when their parts for the upgrade are in.

I wonder if I'd still be waiting had I left it up to them and not called myself.

So for you folks waiting, call them, don't wait for them to call you.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that they got it sorted out Andy.

Thanks! Appreciated!

I'm actually getting the car back on Monday.

I'm posting copies of the parts of my invoice / detailed report related to the upgrade, to see if any of you might be able to infer from these what, outside of the norm, they had to do to my pack. I'm particularly interested in the 455 "cure in place silicone cartridge adhesives," and what those might have been used for, if any of you happen to know. (I didn't notice 455 of anything in the info P85DEE shared.)

Does the below match what some of you who have received the upgrade saw on your invoices / detailed reports, or is there "extra stuff?"

Thanks!

Ludicrous Invoice 2.jpg

Ludicrous Invoice 3.jpg

Last edited:
Got my car back from Paramus on Thursday. Acceleration from a cruising speed of 30-60mph is much better than before. I love it and can't help playing with it all the time. My power consumption has sky-rocketed!

@Andy my receipt shows similar items except the following:

What I don't see on mine:
Shop supply (IPA wipes, Alcohol)
Adhesive, Cure in Place, Silicone
Permatex
SCR, M8-1
Tape, VentCover

What I see extra on mine:
Cooling system - Partial Refill and Bleed. Performed purging of air from coolant system following high voltage battery removal and re-installation.

• Helpful
Reactions: Andyw2100
Got my car back from Paramus on Thursday. Acceleration from a cruising speed of 30-60mph is much better than before. I love it and can't help playing with it all the time. My power consumption has sky-rocketed!

Permatex
SCR, M8-1
Tape, VentCover

Cooling system - Partial Refill and Bleed. Performed purging of air from coolant system following high voltage battery removal and re-installation.

It seems that a few of us are seeing a couple of miscellaneous items on their invoices.

BTW hly did they hit you for sales tax?

At any rate, I'm glad to see that the upgrades have picked up some after seemingly coming to a near standstill over the last few weeks.

I wonder how many we have in here now.

That calls for another thread to help keep count.

Permatex
SCR, M8-1
Tape, VentCover

Thanks, hly.

That adhesive cure in place silicone has piqued my interest because of the quantity. I believe an 85 pack consists of 16 modules containing 444 cells each. That 455 number is awfully close to 444. I have no idea if they are related, but the fact that they are so close makes me wonder if the service center had to do something to every cell in one of my modules for some reason.

I could be totally out in left field on this. I really know next to nothing about the inner workings of our packs. I'm just grasping at straws, based on 455 being roughly equal to 444.