Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lug cap cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The design is still going through a few changes. This is the current iteration:

cover oblique.png

The top surface curve add a little more depth to the design and allows for an attachment point for Tesla's center cap. This will facilitate easy removal of the center cap along with the lug cover to switch in and out the aero cover. What do you guys think about this design versus the original?

We are currently in discussion with the manufacturer about production. Once the final modifications are completed, we will start with the mold design. The plan is to start with the TPU native gloss black followed by model 3 body paint colors and maybe black chrome. Carbon fiber is a little more challenging as we are experimenting with laminating hard layers of carbon fiber over soft TPU. We may have to switch over to hard PETG for the carbon fiber version. Will post updates as things changes.

CJ

I have seen various vendors struggle to make real carbon fiber trim parts before. For something like this, I would be happy with body color or some sort of fake carbon fiber print.

I bet some people will disagree and really want real carbon fiber, but I would hate to see your project fail because of the difficulties in dealing with carbon fiber.

Reactions: rsbell and atlas310
Don't have my M3 yet, but definitely will go with 18". I am interested in these caps if the price is right. Sign me in!!

I wonder if it is possible to have optional Tesla center cap onto these covers and make them look like one-piece, so I can just put on one cap in the center of the wheel and done.

View attachment 275472
The top surface curve add a little more depth to the design and allows for an attachment point for Tesla's center cap. This will facilitate easy removal of the center cap along with the lug cover to switch in and out the aero cover. What do you guys think about this design versus the original?

We are currently in discussion with the manufacturer about production. Once the final modifications are completed, we will start with the mold design. The plan is to start with the TPU native gloss black followed by model 3 body paint colors and maybe black chrome. Carbon fiber is a little more challenging as we are experimenting with laminating hard layers of carbon fiber over soft TPU. We may have to switch over to hard PETG for the carbon fiber version. Will post updates as things changes.

CJ
The easiest way to get real feedback on what people want is to show them a high quality photoshoped photo of the various colors you're suggesting. People may answer your question one way and then totally change their mind once they see it (ie.. I want body color.....vs.... Oh, it looks like that? Never mind.... Or, black chrome, I don't know what that is.... Vs.... Oh, I like that!). I mentioned this before. Glad you are still working on this!

View attachment 275472

CJ

Not clear to me but will Tesla's center cap fit over this lug nut cover piece keeping it locked in place?

Not clear to me but will Tesla's center cap fit over this lug nut cover piece keeping it locked in place?
The Tesla center cover will fit into and essentially becomes part of this cover. When you remove this cover from the wheel, you will also remove the Tesla center cover with it. The design will allow easy switching between the aero cover for long trips and the native look with this center/lug cover for every day use.

Love these. While I prefer the 19's by a long shot, I'm concerned about ride quality given most of our driving will be on poor urban roads. If we do end up with the aero's, these would be a must have. I'm not a fan of carbon fiber, or colors that stand out, but would prefer something that compliments the wheels, or fades into the background (same finish as wheels, or simple black). In this case, a matching center cap would be great. Under $100.

Let me rephrase, as designed now, can you simply pull the lug nut cover off without removing the center Tesla screw cap? or do you have to remove the center cap first to gain access to the lug nut cover?

The original design have the center cap attached to the wheel and the lug cover attach afterward on to the wheel but not to the center cap. Pulling the lug cover will leave the center cap in place. But, the aero cover will not go on the wheel with a center cap in place - it needs the center space empty.

In this current version of the lug cover, the Tesla center cap attach to this cover and not to the wheel. Pulling this lug cover will pull the center cap leaving the center space empty for the aero cover.

I like the new design! I am planning to get a blue Model 3 with white interior, and I was interested in getting white lug nut covers. But that adds very little white to the mass of dark wheel, and this product in white would probably be much more like what I was looking for. And the easy removal of the center caps along with it would be very helpful.

Would the new design use the T-logo from the Aero cover?
So if you put the Aero covers back on you would want to remove the logo cap from your cover, and put it back on the Aero cover?

Or are you getting some different T-logo caps from somewhere else?

Would the new design use the T-logo from the Aero cover?
So if you put the Aero covers back on you would want to remove the logo cap from your cover, and put it back on the Aero cover?

Or are you getting some different T-logo caps from somewhere else?

Best to leave the aero cover center cap in place on the aero cover. Buy another set for $25 from Tesla to attach to these lug cover. This saves you from changing out the center cap every time you put on or remove the aero cover.

Reactions: TEG and suwaneedad