Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lug nut torque, wheel specific or hub/studs specific

PierrotM3LRP

Oct 1, 2020
Wilson, NC
The model 3 Perf std wheel (20") lug nuts torque is specified at 129 lbs-ft. If you put after market wheels (19"), is the lug nuts should be also set at 129 lbs-ft?
And a general question: Is it defined by the hub/studs (car maker) or the wheel manufacturer?

Thanks

Pierre

Sophias_dad

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2018
Massachusetts
It is defined by the studs/nuts, so yes, 129 lbs-ft.

Be aware though that sometimes aftermarket wheels have differently shaped lug nut bases(angle of cone, or radius of curve), so check that if you are getting new wheels. I've actually never seen it myself, but I imagine that sort of change might affect recommended torque.

Reactions: PierrotM3LRP

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC