Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lug nut torque

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen some threads here that speculated about lug nut torque for the M3 with one or two sounding a bit more certain at 129 lb.ft. My M3 now has about 700 miles on it and I'm getting ready for my first road trip in a couple days. So, it's time for a good self service. Uhhh.....well I'm glad to say the only thing to check is wheels and tires. I started by taking a fast look at the condition of the tires. No problems with tread wear or side wall bulges. I have the Aero 18" wheels so I pulled off the Aero "hub caps" and got out my clicker type torque wrench and the 21mm socket required for the lug nuts. I started by setting the wrench to 80 lb.ft. and found that none of the twenty lug nuts would budge before the wrench clicked. Continuing to raise the wrench's setting in 5 lb.ft. increments, none of the nuts moved until 120 lb.ft. when about 1/3 of them moved slightly and all of them moved just barely by 129 lb.ft.

So, I'm satisfied that 129 lb.ft. is the correct setting, but it I would urge Tesla to add that spec to the owners manual to save us all from some potentially disastrous mistakes and we could tell a tire shop the correct torque setting with complete confidence.

You mean Tesla should put it the owners manual on page 155 where it currently is:)
Screenshot_20190322-063437_Drive.jpg