Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lug Nut Torque

Were your lug nuts torqued properly?

• Yes, 129lb-ft perfection

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • Nope

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • I haven't checked

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • What are lug nuts?

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, keep in mind that some torque wrenches have two scales: one in ft-lb, the other one in Nm. Make sure you're using the correct one. If you accidentally (or should I say negligently) tighten the lug nuts to 129 Nm instead of 129 ft-lbs you'll end up with a torque of only 95 ft-lbs.

• Informative
Reactions: GtiMart
Unless you are using an insanely precise procedure and an insanely accurate torque wrench you are only ever getting it close to 129ftlbs at best. I have a very accurate $800 digital torque wrench that I use for wheels only and even with that it is almost impossible to hit the desired number dead on. And then the number reached is only as good as the accuracy stated in the manual for the torque instrument. ie, get it close and you'll be fine.

Unless you are using an insanely precise procedure and an insanely accurate torque wrench you are only ever getting it close to 129ftlbs at best. I have a very accurate $800 digital torque wrench that I use for wheels only and even with that it is almost impossible to hit the desired number dead on. And then the number reached is only as good as the accuracy stated in the manual for the torque instrument. ie, get it close and you'll be fine.
I'd like to add that. While getting it close (+/- 5 ft-lb) is good enough, just as important is getting them all relatively even.

The bottom line is that clamping forces are really the goal here. Those can vary quite a bit depending on the condition of the studs and nuts. If you really want to get anal about it make sure both pieces are clean and rust free. Use a wire brush if necessary and never ever lube them. Lubrication will produce excessive clamping forces.

Ford specifies 150 ft-lb for their M14x1.5 lugnuts. Most shops that deal with the Fusion Sport/MKZ that uses this lug nut don't understand it is 150 ft-lb and not the normal 100 ft-lb! I was surprised to see Tesla Model 3 use the same lug size but at a lower torque value.