Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lug Nuts: suggestions, problems, questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a 2015 P85D and I am about to remove the wheels for the first time. It has generation 1 lug nuts, and my 21mm deep socket fits nicely over 9 of the front lugs and zero of the rear (11 of them it goes on maybe half an inch and then gets very tight). Assuming I am able to get these off, I don’t feel great about putting them back on, so I will be replacing them with something new.

1. Any opinions on what lug nuts I should get and where to buy them?
2. Have any of you had this problem, or other problems with certain lugs?
3. Do you know how much Tesla charges for their gen2 lugs from a service center?

Thanks!
-Alec

7755DBC6-25C4-428E-B486-8A40AB28BD0A.jpeg

Speaking of caps, I thought all the lug nuts were the same, front and rear, on a Tesla. My lug nuts have covers over them that must be removed. Are you sure you have removed any covers on the rear lug nuts? I can't imagine they are a different size. Also, my spec calls for 129 ft lbs of torque tightening. They are secured very tightly indeed.

Reactions: iamthewaughrus
Speaking of caps, I thought all the lug nuts were the same, front and rear, on a Tesla. My lug nuts have covers over them that must be removed. Are you sure you have removed any covers on the rear lug nuts? I can't imagine they are a different size. Also, my spec calls for 129 ft lbs of torque tightening. They are secured very tightly indeed.
Yeah, Tesla's gen2 lugs use the covers, but the gen1 don't. All of these gen1s on my car look the same, so it's strange that so many of the fronts still fit the 21mm and the rears don't.

The original lugs have a soft metal cap that is crimped on. It deforms quickly and becomes a PITA. This is different than the later lugs with removable plastic caps.

I used a 22mm to get the bad ones off. I still have the whole set if you want to sort through them.

Reactions: iamthewaughrus
Thanks for all the info. I'm looking to replace my inconsistent original lug nuts on my 2013 S85. I can get 3/5 of them off with various sockets, but I'll have to get creative with those other two that seem to be between sizes. I'll likely having to tap a socket with a mallet to get them on or heat them up.

Thanks for all the info. I'm looking to replace my inconsistent original lug nuts on my 2013 S85. I can get 3/5 of them off with various sockets, but I'll have to get creative with those other two that seem to be between sizes. I'll likely having to tap a socket with a mallet to get them on or heat them up.
Don’t go too crazy. I wouldn’t heat them unless you are really desperate.

There is a hardened lug nut under that soft cap. Worst case is to pull the soft metal cap off then fit the proper size socket on the remaining bit.