Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lug Nuts Threads Getting Stripped?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, never thought I post a question about lug nuts but here goes... Had my tires changed at Costco the other day and the guy who changed my tires says my lug nut threads are starting to strip. He said he owns a P85D (nicer car than mine!) and Tesla gave him new lug nuts under warranty because the old ones were stripping too quickly. I have a '16 S75.

Made an appt with Tesla and they want $159 for lug nuts.

So, do I push the warranty item angle, get my own lug nuts elsewhere or go with the $159 Tesla lug nuts?

They’re usually being stripped because whoever’s been dong the tires isn’t using the right tool. Had this happen. Tesla replaced under warranty. Then the second time they called and asked Les Schwab and they were using the wrong size tool.
Good to know, thanks. Tesla has done tire installation and rotations previously, this was my first try with Costco and they were the ones to report the stripping. Costco guy said the earlier lug nuts were too soft and prone to stripping. Not a huge deal, I'll buy some new lugnuts and install, was just curious of others' experience.

The nuts are not stripping. The problem is not in the threads of the nuts or on the studs, that would be stripping.

Rather, on the early cars, the annealed (Soft) Stainless steel covers hydroformed over the nuts get rounded off when impact wrenches are used. One fix is to buy a proper six point socket and breaker bar to remove and install the nuts by hand, and use a proper torque wrench, not a Torque stick.

I have heard Tesla replaced the old style nuts for free as part of normal service, ie, if you bring the car in for tire replacement, rotation, etc....

Reactions: gaswalla
Dear gawd, I'd never let Costco at my wheels with their impact wrenches.

I actually do my tires myself, I take them into our local shop (who works on many higher end cars) to ensure they have the right equipment for working on alloy rims (I have the 21" turbines). NEVER EVER should an air jack hit those lugnuts with any amount of torque. I use an electric impact wrench to spin the nuts on and off for speed, but never use them to torque them on or off.

While I don't expect most will want to remove their tires at home and take them in themselves, I do recommend ensuring whatever shop you take them to guarantees to hand loosen and tighten your lugnuts, and NOT use an impact wrench (in either direction).

• Love
Reactions: aerodyne