Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lug nuts way under torqued from Fremont CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wheel Lug nut Specifications (Factory) for all Tesla models shall be set at 129 ft.lbs. I just received delivery 2 weeks ago on a MYP with Uberturbine wheels, and upon checking the torque on the lug nuts, I found that all of them were torqued at only 75 ft. lbs. What's up with that ?! ........ [I did tighten them all to specification]

I don't know what mine were set to but I had to move my torque wrench at least 3" downwards to get them to spec. I was shocked expecting them to move 1/4" or not at all. I'm using a 1/2" drive torque wrench that's 26" long so I'd guess they were below 90ft/lbs.
Be a safe squirrel and check yer nuts!

Dang! I've never checked the torque of the lug nuts on my car. MY WHEELS COULD FALL OFF!!!! (But probably not.) Thousands of cars have their wheels torqued by places like Costco, and never experience any problems. Very few torque their wheels in their garage. And if they do, they then drive off to Safeway and never think about it. My tire shop always torques my lug nuts to 126 ft. lbs. and the wheels have never fallen off, but I have no idea what the Service Center tightened them to, and I don't care. Some people just need something to worry about.

Evidently you have never seen what happens when lug nuts get loose enough for the wheels to wobble around. That’s why many mechanics way over tighten the lug nuts which creates a different problem - studs that break or lug nuts that take dynamite to loosen. Mine were loose from the factory too ( 75 ft/lbs ). Eventually a heavy car like a Tesla or Hellcat with lots of power will back the nuts out until the wheels wobble if the nuts are significantly loose. OEMs surely wouldn’t spend the money to torque fasteners to the correct specs if it wasn’t necessary.

Last edited:
Evidently you have never seen what happens when lug nuts get loose enough for the wheels to wobble around. That’s why many mechanics way over tighten the lug nuts which creates a different problem - studs that break or lug nuts that take dynamite to loosen. Mine were loose from the factory too ( 75 ft/lbs ). Eventually a heavy car like a Tesla or Hellcat with lots of power will back the nuts out until the wheels wobble if the nuts are significantly loose. OEMs surely wouldn’t spend the money to torque fasteners to the correct specs if it wasn’t necessary.
Shops don’t over-tighten lug nuts because they’re worried for your safety if they come loose. They over-tighten them because they’re too lazy to use a torque wrench and just slam them on with an impact wrench.

There are some adjustable electric wrenches and torque sticks for air wrenches but they aren’t particularly accurate in my experience. In any case the Tesla service manual states that impact wrenches should not be used and I have not heard any at the Tesla service centers where I have been.

I was waiting to read on somebody else to write about this. I checked my 22 MYP and my brothers 3 SR+ a few weeks ago. Both of them started loosening at less than 50 ft lb torque.

Only found out as I installed wheel lock kit