Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lug nuts way under torqued from Fremont CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it seems under-torqued from factory is common. Having said that; ever heard of a wheel falling off on a Tesla?

(Not that I want to test it, I’ll be checking mine….)
I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s common. A handful of people are claiming they are under torqued in a thread created just for reporting this is biased data.
You are supposed to periodically check your nuts as they can loosen up after driving. It is recommended that you re-check the torque after driving a few hundred miles when you remove and replace your tires. So to say they are coming from the factory under torqued may not be entirely true.
I checked mine over the weekend and 3 or 4 required an extra quarter turn on the torque wrench to hit 129 lb ft. I wouldn’t consider it to be a safety issue. I’m no Tesla fanboy, but I can say people like to whine about every little thing with Tesla’s for some reason.

Reactions: Bennny
I wouldn’t consider it to be a safety issue. I’m no Tesla fanboy, but I can say people like to whine about every little thing with Tesla’s for some reason.
I agree there are probably some ranting/whining threads out there. But the posts in this thread are far from whining IMO. This, to me, is a mostly healthy "I observed something. I'm not sure if it is a problem.Leta discuss and learn" situation.

Reactions: electricar
I just added locking lug nuts to my M3AWD. I re torqued all the lug nuts to 129, and found I got about 1/8 to 1/4 turn on them to reach spec. The lug nut that I removed for the locking nut required very little effort to loosen. More than hand tight but I would guess somewhere around 100 Ft lbs.

Freemont build

Just did my first tire rotation on a MYLR May 22 Fremont build. Just wanted to see if they were torqued to 149ft lbs. of course not. I was able to significantly tighten them to reach 149. But anyway they are rotated and the right torque now. 7k miles and they didn’t fall off

New MY performance, just checked wheel nut torques. Using Snap on electronic torque wrench found nut torques varied from
88.9 through 107 ft lbs. considerably lower than the manual requirements of 129 ft lbs.
Would be interested to know if others have noticed, and would suggest checking of wheel nut torques.

New MY performance, just checked wheel nut torques. Using Snap on electronic torque wrench found nut torques varied from
88.9 through 107 ft lbs. considerably lower than the manual requirements of 129 ft lbs.
Would be interested to know if others have noticed, and would suggest checking of wheel nut torques.
Just checked my 2023 MYLR after putting on the first 700 miles. All lug nuts were needing to be torqued up to the proper 129 ft lbs. Thanks for this forum pointing out the need to check. Mine came from the Austin factory.